You are here

hateful adultstepdaughter and son in law

wpb100's picture

When I married my husband 23 years ago, my SD was 5 years old. At that time, she still lived with her BM and her husband. My husband is in the military. We lived 2000 miles away from SD and she would visit during the summer. When she was 8 her BM told us to keep her at the end of that summer that she didn't want her back. She had another daughter during the summer with that husband. To jump ahead... BM is currently on husband number 8. SD lived with us until 5 years ago at age 24 got married. At no time did her mother or any of her mothers family ever call her or send her gifts on special occassions. The only time SD saw her mother was when we were in their hometown, we made a point of calling SD grandparents to see if they wanted to see her or if her mother was around. Her mother was allowed visitation, phone call etc. We at no time prevented her from contacting SD. It was her choice. We always invited mom and her family to graduations, wedding etc but they didn't come. Most people did not know SD was not my bio daughter. I thought we had a good relationship all of those years. We never argued or seemed to have any problems. However, over the years my Husband and I both noticed a few quirks with her behavior. She lied frequently about small things. Such as putting something in the trash, washing her hair, doing homework. We never really put much stock into this behavior. When she was 15 years old, my husband and I had our fist bio child together. I started noticing more worrisome behavior. When our son was born he was born early with complications. He spent the first year of his life in the hospital. She never asked about him nor did she ever ask to see him. We also found out about this time her BM had 2 more children, total of 3 with different fathers. One day, I was throwing out trash and I saw something shiney in the trash bag and found a lot of real gold jewelry that she had just dumped into the trash. I asked her if she put in by mistake. She told me no. She didn't want it anymore. I asked her why she would throw away expensive jewely and not give it away. She shrugged her shoulder and said it was hers to do with what she wanted to do and she didn't want anyone to have it. Ok red flag, I know. I am jumping ahead a few years. When she was 21 we received orders to move over seas. She had the option of staying in school, moving in with family or friends or coming with us. She choose to come with us. By this time, our son is 6 years old. He had begun to act out with agressive behavior. At the time, a few family members on my side had stated that SD may be mistreating him. We quickly discounted that statement (much to soon) because we just could not see that in her. Come to find out later that she had been locking him out of the house while we were at work and yelling at him. When we moved overseas I didn't work so I was home and the behavior stopped. SDs behavior worsened. SD did not date in HS nor did she have many friends for long periods of time. When we got to the base she got her first job. We had to share a car. She had to drive to work and school. She let it be known that she resented sharing a car. I would like to point out that she worked and NEVER paid for anything. We paid for college, car insurance, clothing etc. She quickly met a 25 year old guy at work that she started "dating". Dating consisted of getting off work at midnight going over to his house to drink. He could not drive because he had a DUI. We did not like her out that late because the drive back to the base was 20 miles of wilderness with bears, moose and not to mention human predators. I met the boyfriend 1 time in passing. He dumped her and somehow it was my fault. A few weeks later she met another 27 year old that was active duty. From the first day I met him he was disrespectul and rude to me and our son. Of course, he was the opposite with my husband. I told my husband that he was hateful to me. He called me the wicked stepmonster the second time I ever saw him. I went out of my way to be nice to him. He was always asking about SDs BM. He flat out told me that I didn't count. After a 2 month courtship they got married. We had orders to move to another overseas location the week after they married. After they got engaged she began major lying to us. She told us she had completed her last class and would graduate college the week before her wedding. She actually failed class because she spent that time with boyfriend. That was 30k out of our pocket for her education. She would say she was going to work. Work would call and say she didn't show up. She and boyfriend rented an apartment and bought a car together that they hid at the apartment (I would love to have known so I could have had my car back). The wedding was dumped on me. I tried to involve her and was always too busy. She blew off apointments with caterers, photographers etc. So when it came down to wedding my husband,son and I did all he food prep and decorating. By the way, No Thanks ever came. In fact, a week before the wedding SD and boyfriend decided that we should fly all of us to his parents in florida and have a wedding on the beach. When I said no she threw a fit saying that she knew for a fact we had just enough in saving to pay what was my problem. I told her she was being ungrateful and yes I did say she was marrying an asshole. I did not go into detail but in the course of their 2 month dating he not only cussed to me he told me I was trailer trash. I have a graduate degree this is a punk who entered the military at 25 because he could not hold a job. Jump ahead a year. We saw them one time during that year. SD had a little guy 7 months after the wedding, so we went to see them. They were rude to us and made it clear that we were not welcomed. During this visit, my mom was in a bad accident and I had to rush home to care for her. She died 2 months later. We recieved new orders to another overseas base. So I had to bury my mom and move. A few months later, my sister was working on will and estate and was emailing me about the finances. My mother has stipulated that our son would be sole heir if something happened to me or my sister. Mom never really liked SD and always told me that SD hated me. Come to find out that SD was reading my yahoo emails. She knew my password. We are in Europe and I open an email from her calling me a F"ing" B#*& and that she hated me and wish me death. She sent an email to her dad telling him to choose. She went on to say that while he was deployed at various times I beat her, told her that the bible told him to love me more than her, that I was always playing games and trying to make her look like a bad person, that I blamed her for anything getting damaged in the house. ( by the way during one deployment she took husband new car for ride and wrecked it while I was at work). For the past four years, I have tried to salvage some kind of relationship with SD. During this time, son in law got out of Army and they are currently living with his parents. She is 29 now and he is 34 and they have 2 small children. SD's BM and her 8th husband are now in the picture. BM claims that I kept her away while SD was growing up. SD, son in law and BM write ugly lies about me on FB all the time. A few months ago, we came back to the states and we actually live within driving distance of them now. She has since had another child. My husband has been asking to come see them and the baby. SD always has an excuse. We have been back 6 months. She has never called or emailed us.If my husband called her she would talk for about 5 minutes and if he emailed her she would answer with 2- 3 words. Her brother who is 15 emailed and asked her to call him that he would like to hear from her. She emailed back saying that her in laws do not have long distance and she wasn't allowed to use the phone and she couldn't use the computer very often. Finally, she gave my husband a date to come see the baby. She sent him a message the day before that we couldn't come because she had something else to do. (Later found out her in laws decided to have a cook out). I made the one and only phone call to her in 4 years (it eas 4 years ago that my mom died and we moved and he sent me the first hateful email )that week. I told her that she as hurting her father and brother and that they really wanted to see her.She said it was a misunderstanding. I got off the phone feeling we made headway. Not so. The next day, son in law and BM made a big joke about the strange phone call from the evil stepmonster. I have left out a lot of details. But I will say for the past 4 years I have tried to make piece for my husband and son. I have had health problems over this situation. I have trouble sleeping and I feel a big whole in my heart. I can't believe she hates me like this. I never would have believed it. But this was the last straw. I talked to my husband and we agreed for me to defriend her on FB at the time so I would not see the posts about me. When I did this son in law and BM went to town on FB. Calling it a present that keeps on giving that the evil B**(* is out of the picture and now they know why my husband and son haven't been to see them. My husband called SD and told her that they need to talk and stop blaming me for everything. Son in Law got on the phone and told my husband to F.O.
I would also like to add I know alot of people use this language when speaking but we don't. My SD was raised in the Baptist Church and her husband is an athiest. We did recieve an invitation to SGD 1st birthday. We did not go because my husband was deployed. We also sent Christmas gifts with no response. She didn't send her brother or father anything for their bdays or Christmas which is not unusual. This past Easter, we sent her kids a present and I sent an email to her letting her know it was coming to please let us know if she gets it. She sent an email to dad thanking him and then sent one to me calling me an F'ing B again and telling me I had no right to tell her to let us know they got the gift. Last straw, I emailed her and told her Not to EVER contact me again I was done. My husband and son are very supportive of me. They know I never mistreated her. But it is not just me she has mistreated. She has been mean to all of us. I am still having major problems dealing with the hurt. I just can't believe how hateful she is. She has also started contacting his family and telling them that I have come between her and her father and brother and is trying to turn them against me. My husband has not had verbal contact with her in 6 months and has no intentions of contacting her. I am having more problems dealing with this than he is. At no time have I ever told my husband to choose. He and my son know that I did not have a problem with them seeing her or the grandkids. That is the biggest thing that hurts me is know that my husband and son do not see the grandkids. I know it hurts them and I wish could fix it but I can't.

Jsmom's picture

Dear God...You have got to let this girl go. Have no contact. She is pure evil along with her miscreant husband. No contact...Nothing. That is the only thing that will give you peace. I am sick about the email invasion. That is unreal....I hope you have a stronger password now...

Good luck, just stay away from her and over time you will get past it.

Disneyfan's picture

Wow, 8 husbands!! You have gone above and beyond for her. Let it go. They are getting a kick out of upsetting and hurting you.

qtpie013178's picture

You have done nothing wron, SD and SIL are doing you a favor by staying away. They are toxic people, and you don't need to be poisoned.

oneoffour's picture

Umm, drop her out of your lives. She is 27 with a real Charlie Sheen WINNER for a husband who cannot put a roof over their heads alone.

If anything set up a savings account for the grandchldren for if/when they find you and come into your lives. Sometimes those good genes skip a genration or 2.

Walk away. You tried and the ungrateful wench deserves nothing more from you. Toxic is the only thing she is. Oh and whiney and blaming you for crapping up her life. Who will she blame now?

AVR1962's picture

Your SD sounds alot like my bio daughter. She was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and did much the same as your SD did. You might read about it and see if you think it applies to SD. By the sounds of it BM is narcisstic, maybe even borderline herself. SD has part of the same genetic make-up as bio mom and that is hard one to deal with. My daughter is just like her father, my ex, your post describes them both very well. On top of all the traits that go along with the disorder then you have a child dealing with the abandonment of a bio parent which makes the feelings of insecurity even worse. Unfortunately, and this is the crazy part of these situations, is the children even as adults, so want the love and acceptance of their missing parents and cannot see them for who they really are. They feel conflicted but they know they have to please the missing parent in order to not risk losing them yet again. If SD is genetoically more like BM, the two of them will understand each other, it is bizarre to see, I have watched it play out with BD and ex. The things they think and do are not what the normal conscience will accept. You became the scapegoat I am afraid as many of us stepmom end up being. I, like you, knocked myself out for my steps and my kids....gave them a very good home and was a good example to them but BD didn't want to see it that way. Basically, she was bitter because her dad left and after that everything became my fault. She is now 30 and I am not so sure she really realizes yet that what she has been dealing with was the abandonment of her father. Read about BPD, parental abandonment, and emotional blackmail and I think you will understand what has happened.

wpb100's picture

I appreciate all of the replys. AVR1962, There is definitely a personality disorder going on here. She does have some boderline tendencies but she isn't borderline. One reason why this has hit me so hard is that I am a mental health counselor and I didn't see this coming. That is why I feel more betrayed because all of the years that she lived with us we got along fine and I had no clue that she felt this way. She is more egocentric if anything. Her Bio grandmother is schizoaffective personality so this could be a possiblity. I didn't even touch the tip of the iceberg of just how hateful she is toward her father, brother and me. A few weeks ago, she defriended her brother on FB and he sent her an email and asked her why she is acting the way she is and why her husband told his dad to FO. She immediately sent me an email cussing me out. She can do no wrong. She is very egocentric. When her father has questioned her about why she is being so nasty she immediately jumps into how mistreated she was and never looks at herself. I am not perfect and I know I made mistakes with her (as all parents do) and I have apologized over and over again if I ever hurt her it was not intential. I truly mean it with all my heart. Diabetes runs in her family. When she hit 20 she started gaining massive weight. So did I after a surgery. I suggested that we join a gym and workout with each other. She never showed an interest so I let it drop. Years later when this hit the fan she twisted what happened and she will tell you that I called her a fat ass and lazy. I have on occassions told her she was being lazy just laying around. What parent hasn't probably told their kids to get up and do something other than sitting around watching tv. This is a no win situation. This is too close to home for me to handle it the way I should. I worry about her small kids. She sent out a Christmas card at Christmas (of course we did not get one) to my husbands family. Which shocked them because they hadn't heard from her in 5 years. She started out telling how her in laws have trained her 4 year old to walk up to strangers and lick them like a dog and to bark at them. The whole situation is strange. Her BM had surgery a few weeks ago and the SIL posted that he hoped she recovered or he would be stuck with the evil stepmonster which he could not deal with. I have not spoken to him in 4 years and have no intentions of speaking to him Again, they will not leave me alone. I had dropped them off my FB but unfortunately several of my family didn't until now so that is how I know what has been said about me. My poor 85 year old aunt was devestated by her behavior when she read he comments on FB. My family (excluding my mother who saw years ago how she was acting) has always treated her as a full blooded family. We never referred to her as step in any way. I need to find the book that picklenickle 72 mentions above. I know that sometimes no matter how well you treat a SK they usually have resentment. At one point, I told her that I understand that she has a lot of anger about her childhood but she needs to put the blame where it is due and not all on my doorstep. Again I am willing to take responsibility for anything I may have done but I will not take on all her anger. I do not discuss this with my husband very often because I know it hurts him. My son freely talks about his hurt and anger. This forum has really helped me alot. I truly appreciate the feedback. It has helped let go some of the anger and pain I feel.

AVR1962's picture

WPB, I do feel for what you are having top deal with. Caring, loving moms give everything to our children, homes and family, always trying to be available to everyone, wanting what is best for everyone. I can see that you are very hurt and you have given all you had to give to your SD. Please don't beat yourself up. Besides the years of turmoil with my BPD daughter, I have a SS that did much the same as your SD. He was 5 when I met his dad, mom had left when he was 2....can you believe that? She made no contact for 2 years. When she found out another 'mom' was in the picture (over 3 years after she left the boys) she wanted the boys back and she made it very clear to me that I was not the boys' mom. I felt for what the boys. I felt they had really been thru an awful lot and I wanted to make everything right, give them the life that they had been cheated of. I rasied these boys as my own, thought of them as my sons, they called me 'mom' and no one knew we were a stepfamily unless told.

That picture slowly started changing when younger boy turned 18. At that point when he thought he was an adult he thought he had rights to do things while still living under our roof that we did not agreee with. He became hostile, terribly mouthy. I thought it was an independent stage but knew he still had to follow some very basic rules or we were going to get walked on. He thought he could come and go as he pleased and never have to answer to us. It got very bad, so much so that just before he turned 19 his dad asked him to find a different place to live.

He is now 27 and has never stopped be angry. Full of blame and hard feelings. Like your SD, we did him wrong, we never loved him. We were not invited to his wedding (he said because of his mom), he didn't keep us up-to-date about his wife's pg and then turned it on us saying we weren't there, I had not even been informed of a due date or told when the baby was born. He then started usiung his daughter as a tool for his anger, telling us we didn't care/love her like his wife's family and was all shocked by our lack of involvement with this being a granchild and all.

Final blow came last Aug over his daughter's 1st b.day. We had been planning on making a stop in the celebrate and they decided last minute to change the date to accomidate BM. For me that was the end. It was a blatant stab, he knew all the problems and I saw thru him and his games to control/manipulate/blame. I told him, "hell no, pardon my french but after all we have been thru with your mom we will not be attending the celebration." He knew, he knew, he knew but he had to do this to put us under his feet so to speak. Of course he thru a trantrum and I have had nothing more to do with him. That was the last of the games for me. He then started attacking his dad and his dad drew limits as well.

Until he works thnru his issues there is nothing there. We are not walking on mutual ground and it was way too stressful for me. My health was suffering as this was on top of years of stress dealing with a stepfamily. I was so angry and so hurt. I felt like I had PTSD. I started shutting people out of my world. I felt like I had been cornered and I was fighting for everything I had left to save of myself. I was erupting at the littlest of things. I saw my adult children & steps as engrateful, selfish brats. My body started failing me, I do believe it was the stress. I had a terrible reaction to an herb that sent me to ER and I have been now for the past 4 months trying to get my health back. Next step is find out if I had a small stroke, that's how bad it was.

You have to save yourself. I gave so much and tried so hard. Do the kids care? NO! We are supposed to be there for them regardless....look where I am now. I finally ended up in counseling and it has helped alot. I had to detach, doc's orders. Don't let this happen to you.

momof5_1969's picture

oh my heart breaks for you! Definitely get that book Stepmonster. I just started reading it myself. You can purchase it through Amazon.com. She sounds awful, and if you can not just defriend her and your SIL but block them and people associated with them so you don't have to see any comments they even post to other people's sites that they are friends with related to you. What a terrible ordeal you are all going through. Counseling for you and your husband and son might be good too in dealing with this loss, because it would be like a death of a loved one. The person you knew and loved before is long dead. The person in her place is someone different.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I pray the Lord protects you and keeps you safe and guides you during this most difficult time. My heart goes out to you.

Most Evil's picture

SD sounds like a hateful wench that you don't need in your life. It is sad to not see kids but more likely they would be trained to hate all of you (her own family) too.

I was forced to accept long ago me and my SD will not be 'one big happy family' like our DHs would like. Mine too is always nice to my face, then backstabs me every time like you describe. I would be fine with no relationship regardless of any kids and I hope that you can get to that also under these circumstances.

This stress is too much, she is toxic and the whole group should not be allowed to reach you with their ABUSE. Drop them on facebook and everywhere else!!