You are here

DH did it again!

sandye21's picture

DH and I have, for the most part, a good marriage.  He accepts my full disengagement from SD.  He helps around the house.  We travel and have fun.  We laugh.  But there is one area that he has sorely failed at, and that is to give support when I most need it.  About a month ago I was accused of something I didn't do by a man who should have known better.  It was a third party accusation, I didn't;t know either of the people he was referring to.  The accuser was a teenage boy.  Never-the-less, he was President of an organization that I belonged to, and asked that I resign from the board of directors and became really nasty about it.  I later found out that the president had been doing some illegal things with the funds.

I asked my DH to accompany me to the meeting for moral support.  I turned in my resignation along with a letter then looked for DH.  He was outside with the man who had been so abusive with me, both of them talking as if they had been good friends for years.  When the meeting started I noticed my DH was missing.  I got up from my seat and found DH crouched in the back corner of the room and asked if he would sit with me.  He refused, giving me some lame excuse.  I had to go back to my seat alone.  I didn't ask him to beat anyone up, I just wanted his emotional support.

The fact that he refuses to take up for me has been a real bone of contention in our marriage.  Every time he does this I am transported to that horrible day when SD and her Husband were yelling and screaming at me - and DH ran out the door.  When I asked him to come back inside he refused, telling me he didn't want to get in the middle.  Well, he placed himself in the middle by not honoring the marriage.  And I STILL think he is dishonoring our marriage with his present actions.

Sorry this is so long but I have to tell you - I have finally found the answer:

http://www.prettyfedup.com/pfu/personalangst/myhusbandwontfuckingstickup...

Tonight I informed DH I had a solution to our problem, but it might mean he wants a divorce afterward, but I'm OK with it.  I'm done with this B.S.

fairyo's picture

Having clicked on the link and thinking it made a certain kind of sense, as well as makig me laugh, I can offer that maybe in this situation you get a male friend to sit next to you. In fact, just get a male friend who will fulfill all the things your DH doesn't- as in a neutral advocate who is a man!  I'm sure even if this guy is just a figment of your imagination DH will never leave your side!

sandye21's picture

This is a very good suggestion.  I don't have many male friends but I'm going to look into this.

susanm's picture

"An imitation of mashed potatoes."  That about sums it up.  

I would be incredibly angry, OP.  Clearly this was important to you and your DH claimed that he believed you were in the right.  To not only refuse to sit with you and show public support but also engage in friendly conversation with your opponent, which would obviously give him the impression that your own spouse did not take the issue seriously, majorly undercut you.  You said that you told your DH you had a solution.  What was it, if you don't mind me asking?

sandye21's picture

If you click on the link, there is a 'unique' way of taking care of the problem of an unsupportive DH.  In a nut shell, the author suggests placing the Husband in a position he can not back out of.  For example, when I saw him having a conversation with the man who abusively accused me of something I didn't do, I should have called him on it and asked out loud, "Are you giving him a piece of your mind like you told me you were going to do?  Remember?  You were the one who suggested pulling an audit on him."  And when he was crouching down in the back, I should have made a bunch of noise, "Are you sick?  Are you alright?", like he was having a heart attack, so everyone could see how ridiculous he looked.

DH used to tell little fibs.  I finally got tired of it and started telling people the truth, then I let him know I had told them the truth.  Have not heard any fibs in years.  So it DOES work.

I really have a problem in that I am not a fast thinker.  If I have a good come-back it's an accident.  LOL  But now I am fully prepared.

After reading the article, I told him I had found the solution, and that if he pulls this again he will be so embarrassed he will WANT to divorce me.

He will be giving a presentation in March and I told him he will be lucky if I don't pull something like he did.  I know I have spouted several times on this site that respect has to be mutual.  Well, from now on, I'm going to be living according to my words.  We have been married almost 28 years but, as I told him last night, this is something I refuse to put up with.  I have never threatened him with divorce but this mornng I told him if he pulls it again, I will divorce him in heartbeat.

bedazzled's picture

Sandy I would feel the same way you did. Betrayed. It is not the first time but is a pattern. I don’t have an answer for you.just support in knowing how that makes you feel. Abandoned. We would stick up for our DH’s in the same situation so, we expect the same support from them. It really does seem like it should be a given.  I agree that it is part of a marriage to have each other’s back. Hugs to you!!!

Exjuliemccoy's picture

I'm so sorry, Sandye. Sorry for what that a$$ of an organization president put you through, and for your H's cowardly behavior when you needed his support.

sandye21's picture

Thanks to all who responded.  This is so common on this site!  Often I read about a SM who is living with a DH who throws her under the bus and refuses to demonstrate to the skids that his wife is worth standing up for.  My advice for you now is if he does this twice get the hell out of the marriage.

I didn't ask my DH to get in a fight with anyone - only for his presence as support.  I was sorely disappointed.  There HAS to be a better answer than complaining and going back to life as usual.  DH says it won't happen again.  We both KNOW it WILL happen again until I finally value myself enough to divorce the wimp.

He DOES help a lot around the house, he is a wonderful travel mate (as long as I don't depend on him in emergencies), and he is a good roommate.  So I'm thinking of taking Fairyo's advice.  Maybe rejoin the gym and see if there is some man out there who wants to be a friend and supporter.

2Tired4Drama's picture

He is very good about giving me critical advice on how I should do this or that, or how I do this or that wrong.  BUT ... heaven forbid I ever criticize him about anything - his demeanor changes literally in the wink of an eye.  It can be the simplest of things, and even sometimes when I am just joking a bit and he doesn't realize it, it is amazing how he immediately gets a pouty look on his face if he thinks I am criticizing him!

His expecation is that I will never criticize him.  That is for him to do to me and everyone else on the planet.  He has a classic case of "dishing it out but not being able to take it."  I think this ties in to him not being able to stick up for anyone else - including his own children.  His ex alienated his kids and he never stepped up to her and intervened. 

This is the point that bugs me the most.  He wouldn't challenge or criticize her about anything, including what she was doing to his most precious children, but boy oh boy, he sure can slop it on me and everyone else!  

Somewhere along the line he thought that I was his whipping post until I finally called him out on it and told him to knock it off.  He never would admit that he was doing it but I think it scared him enough that he went and got some help.  I would have left him if he hadn't.  

He knows that I am a fighter by nature and he KNOWS that I will have his back.  The opposite it not true, though.  I went through some serious hell at work from a couple of a$$hole men, to include one of them screaming at me and sticking his finger in my face repeatedly, and then shoulder-butting me, and when I mentioned all this you know what my "knight in shining armour" said?  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  He would get a sour look on his face like he had just taken a bite of a lemon, and made it a point to walk out of the room without saying anything to me.  

If the situation were reversed and this had happened to HIM, you better believe I would have done something ... maybe even called the corporate office of that employer and demanded some answers.  I might have even encouraged him to file assault charges.  But whatever happened, I would have made it clear that I HAD HIS BACK.

The years of observing this has fundamentally changed some of my feelings towards him.  Including respect and intimacy (not just physical).  If I don't know that someone will support me when I need them, then I really don't feel connected.  

It's been a few years since all this happened.  But I don't think I'll ever feel the same about him. 

sandye21's picture

Ya, it's like they will resort to anything to save their 'nice guy' image.  Even if it means throwing the people who do the most for them under the bus.  They need those good strokes so much that our needs fade into a fog.

Whenever DH acts like a friggin wimp and I have to go into battle solo, all I can see in my mind is that day he ran out the door to avoid dealing with SD and her Husband while they stood over me, very large and fat, pointing fingers 2" from my nose and screaming at me.  This latest episode of avoidance scratched through 8 years of healing.  I'm out for blood now.  It might mean divorce but I could care less right now.

2Tired4Drama's picture

but I think having a dog made a difference for me.  You know, that "unconditional love" part that often seems missing in these step-infected relationships we're all in.  When situations occurred I was always comforted by knowing my dog was there.  While she may not have been actually big enough to come to my defense, she sure had the spirit! 

Unfortunately, after she died,  I am missing that in my life.  Thus, I've told SO that I want to get another dog at some point.  So instead of going out and getting possible another man problem, get a pet if you don't already have one!

fairyo's picture

(((hugs))) Sandye- there are some compromises you can make and some you can't. My first husband let me down like this too, I won't reveal how as I still find it very shocking what he did. With TheX I never put him in a position where I needed him in that way,  (although I know no one plans for these occasions and you certainly need someone to stick up for you) but he certainly wasn't on my side when it came to the skids. It isn't an attractive trait in a man, and I think I would lose all respect in a situation like yours.

I used to be involved in a community group and had lots of male friends (most of whom were happily married) and I still miss that bunch of people although I never revealed much about my private life and they didn't ask- none of them came on to me (maybe I'm just too old lol!) and TheX never seemed to mind, but then he never spoke much to me about anything!

You do have to be careful though- there are pitfalls and I sort of meant it tongue in cheek- however, it could work if and when it happens again.

Please keep us updated.

disrestep's picture

Sandye21, I feel bad for you. Just when we think our DH may have our back and support us, they do something so lame. I'm wondering what your DH and that guy outside where talking about. Did you find out? Do you think your DH was trying to smooth things over or tell this guy off in a nice way? 

Flashbacks from adult skid trauma and ball-less DH's is not fun. I get those every once in a while. 

That is a great idea to say.."are you giving him a piece of mind like you said you would....."  If my DH decides to be nice when someone is giving him a hard time about not revolving his life around the skids/gskids or if he's sickenning nice to skids while they are making rude comments and gestures, I'm going to use this...thank you for sharing that idea.

i don't like the fact your DH didn't sit with you when you asked him. I'd make it clear to my DH that either we are on the same team or not. If not, well DH there's the door. I know my DH always wants to be the good guy and never create waves. He has defended me, but many times it's been on the phone and by email. Not sure what they are afraid of when it comes to sticking up and supporting someone in-person, who knows? 

Sit in the back during your DH's presentation and be totally unsupportive. 

Hang in there and don't back down. Your DH needs to put his money where his mouth is. Actions speak louder than words. He should have your back. Sometimes I cringe to think when my DH uses me for an excuse when adult skids want him to do something. He says he doesn't do this anymore; but I don't believe him because he used me as his excuse in the past so many times before. He comes out looking like the good guy and me the mean SM. I don't care what others think, but Some of these DH's need to stop hiding behind their wives and tell it like it is - like they tell us they will.. 

do things fun for yourself, go to the gym and find a nice male friend. I have some male friends and DH is always on guard when we are around them. It's kinda funny.

Good luck going forward.

CANYOUHELP's picture

My DH is pretty much a coward in all situations.  So, I deal with anything negative away from him -all alone. I cannot count on him for this kind of support-ever; his brats or even other things most marriages endure. I am better off dealing with it by myself, even if he is there, he would be of zero assistance.  I have little conflict to deal with, but it would be nice to know when I needed a protective support, he would be there... better off counting on myself, never disappointed that way.  But, his day needing me will come too....

sandye21's picture

Yes, it goes both ways, doesn't it?  The sad thing is, if I treated him like he did me, he would become irate with me.  So when I have the opportunity to 'pass it forward', and show him how beng unsupported feels, I plan on using the same excuses he did.  If he objects, I will say, "Well, now I know how you felt when you didn't want to support me."

sammigirl's picture

Sandye21, I am also sorry you are again going thru this.

I also have absolute no support.  Like CANYOUHELP, I attempt to go it alone.  It is extremely frustrating to live like this.  It should not be allowed to be able to treat your spouse this way, with no respect.  The problem with my DH,  he doesn't even realize it.   Like the site noted, men do not think like, nor do they feel the disappointment. 

If you or I give back the same non support, it would go over their heads.  I am not saying all men, just our prizes.

Also when this happens I do have flashbacks of the Skid drama and all the madness wants to return; then I am fighting for peace, so I don't lose it.  DH is a narcissist and he sees no fault in himself.  It's a waste of energy to battle him.  He has had Karma visit often, my guess is it is a long road for him.  

I don't know an answer.  I always feel I am wasting my time doing my best.   

I follow you Sandye21, thus I totally get it..  ((((Hugs)))))

sandye21's picture

Sammi, Your words mean so much to me.  I am starting to realize that by being angry I am giving in to DH and it is doing nothing for me.  This was my final request for support from him.  Karma will visit him, possibly helped a bit by me, but I will not be angry.  I will not try so hard, give a little less of myself to him and a little more of myself to me.  In the long run DH will be the loser because he will never be able to depend on me as he has in the past.  It DOES go both ways - eventually.

Disillusioned's picture

So sorry you're going through this sandye

Does your DH have any explanation as to why he refused to support you?

I would be furious!

sandye21's picture

All I got were lame excuses, he didn't think this and he didn't think that.  He knew the man had accused me of something I didn't do and that the man had been verbally and emotionally abusive.  DH has done this several times.  I have an appointment with my therapist next week - it's time to have some seriuos conversations about our marriage.

bedazzled's picture

My thoughts are with you Sandy. You have worked very hard to make it work. It is not easy. I hope that it will work out and DH will see he needs to stand up for you. He would be losing a good woman. There is never a worse feeling than being acused of something that you know you didn’t do. Not having the support of the one who should be you main support makes it 100 times worse. A person gets very tired of having to defend themself against false accusations. It is exhausting physically and emotionally. I know exactly how you feel. Hurt, angry, betrayed all wrapped up in one.  Hugs to you!

ESMOD's picture

I guess my only questions would be around the issue of how good is he advocating for "himself".  Is he similarly acting like a shrinking daisy when it comes to his own situations?  If he is, then I'm not sure how you would expect him to be your rock in uncomfortable confrontational situations when he can't do it on his own behalf.  It's like expecting something he may just not be capable of.

Now, that doesn't mean that's always a bad thing.. there is a good side to the coin of someone who isn't confrontational... you usually stand a better chance of getting your way..lol.

But, if he has no problem standing up for himself in public.. and it's only RE you.. then I think he needs to go to counseling with you and get to the point where he can give you the honest reason for his lack of support.  Maybe he doubts your side?  Maybe he is afraid others doubt you and is embarassed by that?  Maybe ... I don't know.. maybe he wasn't thinking at all?

I don't blame you for being upset.. because you thought you had support.. it would have been better if he could have just been honest and told you he couldn't be there.. vs what he did when he WAS there.

sandye21's picture

Point taken.  The only one he has been confrontational with is me - but that was before disengagement 8 years ago.  He was the baby of the family.  He told me that his older brothers were always fighting and he had a hard time being his non-confrontational self with the 'fighter' reputations they had developed.  One time his Brother said, "We always took care of him", letting me know he was somewhat sheltered.

I will definitely discuss this with the therapist.  Before we went to the meeting he fully supported me when I was speaking to the abusive man on the phone.  It's just face to face that he seems to have a problem.  I wasn't asking him to punch anyone in the nose, just sit with me to show his moral support.  Maybe it was just too much for him.

I am also seriously thinking of taking Fairyo's suggestion of finding a male friend who is not afraid to publicly support me.

sandye21's picture

Read an article:  http://www.mymarriagehelper.com/my-husband-never-takes-my-side/ which recommends if a DH does this over and over again to leave them for a day or more so they can understand that this is not a small deal for you.  Last night DH promised he would not throw me under the bus again.  I told him I didn't want promises, I want resolution, I want him to take action now about what has happened to me. This morning I tried to tell a 'friend' what he did.  She just shrugged her shoulders.  I have an appointment with my therapist this week.  It will be interesting to see what she suggests.  If he lets this go and does not resolve this with the man who was so abusive to me, eventually it will mean divorce.  I can't move on until he takes action on what happened.  I can't go on living with a man whom I have (at this time) so little respect for.

StepUltimate's picture

How is it that your anonymous, online StepTalker peeps are angry at your husband treating you like that, yet the "friend" shrugs like it's No Big Deal? You deserve a better friend than that!

I am proud of you for blogging here & getting support, and for taking care of YOU. Glad your appointment is next week & you'll show up armed with awareness & topics you want to discuss.

sandye21's picture

I visited with my therapist yesterday and told her about my DJ slinking out of supporting me.  She told me that he is the baby of the family, probably won't change so that is what he is.  I agree - he probably won't.  She pointed out that he is good in all other areas besides.  Sort of suggesting I will have to adjust.to it.  Well, therapists are human and sometimes get things mixed a tad.  I will be seeing her in two weeks.  I am going to tell her she has been a good therapist, and I will take all of her advice except this.  I will probably stay with DH.  I do not ask him to get in direct confrontations with other people.  Will not insist he beat someone up.  But I will let him know that every time I ask for support and he slithers to a corner or just stands there with a blank look on his face, I will ask him IN FRONT of the offending person WHY. 

He embarrassed me last week at the meeting when he crouched in the corner and I couldn't coax him to come and just sit next to me. So I guess I this case, turn about is fair play.  If he is embarrassed because I call attention to him when he is being a wimp, too bad.