You are here

Bridal shower.... Support...help....

Yasadora's picture

Hello....
I posted many months ago when my oldest sd became engaged.... I must admit after a very intense period of time...my DH and I did come to the place of the "lump sum" for funding our portion of the wedding...of course our portion is the most of all the adults funding this event. For the most part We have been lovely and neutral in regards to all things wedding. We have very limited and sporadic info about it all....and have come to accept this. I must admit it is hard at times to let it all go when I remember her cutting our invitee list to approximately 20 folks out of a 250 person wedding.....I keep reminding myself that I do not have a horse in this race.... So since the initial rush of money issues etc.... It has been quite....but we are now entering the under 6 month time period.
first up the shower....
I think I will be invited..... Not sure if all females invited to the wedding will be invited.... The reason this is important to me, is the thought of having to sit by myself with no kind/known person for me to have as a buffer. There is no way of knowing what is going on... As I said info about all plans are sporadic...and at time gauge...but I have been informed about the date of the shower...so I don't think I am assuming too much that I will be invited.

So what should I do?... I have to attend if invited....do I ask the very few women who we were allowed to invite I'df they are invited to the shower?...I'm afraid of insulting them if they are not invited.....This is going to be one of the hardest events of all the wedding stuff....this event is where I am the ultimate outsider....at the other stuff t least I have my DH to hang with...and the actual wedding my small band of invitees will be a safe place for me while my DH is being the daddy of the bride....

I guess I am nervous ....what to wear? What to give? I don't want to give off the registry for many many reasons...I think it is a bit of a set up for failure... The prices of everything will be known by all...If I give too little ...Bad...if I give too much...bad ....lol...
Any support y'all can throw me would be greatly appreciated.

GoodbyeNormaJean's picture

Okay, here's the thing about showers. I used to go to all of them, and I'm not a social butterfly, so it was pretty much super uncomfortable. Even when the shower was for someone I liked.

I'm 34. I've got a lot of shit to do. Now when I get a shower invite and I REALLY don't want to go...I just don't go. The important thing is to send a gift. So, muster up something pretty nice from her registry, send it along, and don't go add to the awkward if you don't feel like it.

If you need a reason, use diarreah. I do it ALL the time. "I'm so sorry I didn't show up to Timmy's bris. I had diarreah." "Oh no! I'm afraid I won't be able to make it to that Pampered Dildo Candle party you're hosting! I've got a raging case of the hothouse slides. Darn, I was REALLY looking forward to hearing what's new in the lube and scented wax department surrounded by a bunch of people that I normally wouldn't pee on if they were on fire."

Diarreah. No one will press you for details, trust me.

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

ba ha ha ha. Diarreah is a good one.

Well I wasn't invited to any of SD's showers and in hindsight I am glad of it today although I was hurt at the time.

I would definitely call up a couple of the ladies who are invited to the shower and ask them. If they are not invited it is not on you at all. Whoever is throwing the showers will look bad. Don't worry about that.

If your relationship with SD has been rocky it might be best not to go though. If there is no buffer or friend you can sit with don't go. It will be too stressful and miserable for you. You do not have to put yourself in that situation for ANYONE!

2Tired4Drama's picture

Love the diarrhea idea, I'll have to remember that for an excuse when I need one!

Bottom line (pardon the pun Smile is that you should not go. Send a gift and a heartfelt note with whatever excuse you choose for not going. Then let it go and don't worry another minute about it.

Quite frankly, your SD and the rest of her crew probably won't miss you being there. And the benefit is ultimately for YOU ... you don't have to spend hours beforehand getting upset/worried and then sitting there uncomfortably for hours.

herewegoagain's picture

I didn't think you had to get a gift for the shower AND the wedding...hmmm...Oh well, no big deal with me since I don't go to many weddings lol

Good luck, I am thankful we dodged that bullet!

Yasadora's picture

"As a result, I'm a big advocate of charitable donation gifting"
That is what I did for our weddi g 5 years ago...we did not need any more "stuff" but wanted to have a wedding and a celebration reception... So we strongly urged all...it was in our invatation packets, to donate.....not sure that would go over I this case...but it is worth thinking about.

jennaspace's picture

You think you have to but you don't. Life is too short. If you turned the tables, would Sd get this outside her comfort zone for you? You can honor her in other ways. I'd say paying a majority of the wedding without input is honoring her.

My very aggressive SDIL sent an invite for sd's baby shower. SDIL loves to use exclusion. Even though there would only be 10 ppl probably at the shower. She wrote an invitation to me that stated she and MIL (both acted as my nemesis without provocation) and Bm (never an issue,but awkward) were throwing the shower. Her emphasis that the three of them threw the shower ( I was the only female in family not involved) was very consistent with her desire to make me feel excluded. The invite also came right after I ticked her off about something.

It felt very good to promptly click no without excuse. I sent a gift card and a card to sd. In the past, my sd had oftentimes not acknowledged my birthday at all or had returned a gift card if there was drawing after I had spent hours getting her gifts. I had learned that it was wise to be a minimalist gift giver to avoid feeling snubbed.

I knew none of them would attend an intimate event with their spouse's ex( I'm the only one who would even consider it). In days past I would have gone out of a heavy sense of obligation that had never gained me any relief from constant criticism in the past.

Something my MIL said indicated they talked about me. Possibly speculating why I didn't come (jealous because I may not have more kids.. I just don't think like this).

Awhile after all this I moved. I don't plan on attending any more events except for funerals, and even that's questionable. I don't hate anyone,I simply don't see the point in attending events with people who have acted as my enemy without cause. Attending these events have never furthered our relationship in the past. They've served as a trigger for me and an opportunity for rudeness for them. I'm done with all that nonsense.

If you're primary motive is to go so you don't look like a jerk, think of where that has gotten you in the past. If you're like me, it's probably gotten you knots in the stomach and a kick in the face. My first Christmas at home by myself was one of my best ever. I realized then that life was indeed too short to stress out about events like this. Acknowledge and honor her if you want (gift, card etc...). Just make sure to do it in a way that doesn't cause you pain.

Yasadora's picture

Thanks... All for your comments....
It's not that I'm afraid of how not going would give me issues...it is more about my husband... He has been re-building relationships with his daughters... The older they get and the further away from overt and covert pressure from their mother, the better it gets...the wedding has given "mom" the space to try and regain the influence she craves and is missing.... Not going leaves me as a proxy for my DH open to manipulation by "mom" ...... Still considering my options.....thanks

Newimprvmodel's picture

Two options....1...decide to not give a f$&@ and do not go. Send a gift and be done. 2...go and stay for the two glasses of wine you will consume. Then leave. Nobody will miss you and you will have showed your face. Me personally I would go with first option. I am done caring what people think of me. Oh and these are people who have purposefully hurt me, double do not care!!!
Do not waste time agonizing over this. They likely really do not care.

I got a good one's picture

OMG, GoodbyeNormaJean, I am LMAO at the "Pampered Dildo Candle party" comment! That was awesome!

I got a good one's picture

Oh, and I definitely agree with Rising Above It. Don't put yourself in a bad situation. For what? It's lose lose. Offer apologies - something suddenly came up - can't make it.

Keepsmiling's picture

I just found out recently that my ysd is pregnant. I have already made up my mind. Even if I am invited to a baby shower I am not going. I probably won't be invited but that is fine by me.