You are here

Social services or wellness check up harassment

Browneyemomma's picture
Forums: 

Anyone have issues with social services or the police doing wellness check alot? At what point does it become harassment? Can I refuse them in my home ? About 3 years ago my husband's BM lose custody due to meth selling and using.  The first year we had social services constantly coming to our house due to calls about us abusing and neglecting twins. I got pregnant and had a son. 2nd year she gets her visit back no big deal but the kids who Tell us and social services they didnt want visits because their scared are forced to go. Long story short every couple of days there is a cop at my door to do a well check or social service came to school. August of last year she bought them a game system for her house and games they agree for over nights. After one weekend they come home say they dont want to live with us anymore ok no big deal if your sure we will talk to ss worker and if they feel it's ok then we will let u go.thia was mon by Friday they were picked up at school because BMW took oldest to ss over the weekend and reported abuse then got a court order to remove from the house before ss did investigation. By march she weaseled her way into getting full custody because even though ss  said no abuse nor neglect found the kids are scared of us because we were abusing them. My son who is now 2 was left in our care because no abuse nor neglect found because it didnt happen. Ss continued to visit my home until June when it was finally over we dont even get visits. Since I've had 2 yes 2 visits from the police because a neighbor or my favorite which was today a mailman called to do a wellness check which because I had a dirty yard yeah that's right my mailman called because I have two full size dogs who love to tear up trash had ripped my neighbors trash up in my yard again before I could go out in the chilly fall day  with a 2 year old to pick it up they called the police. I have a very active 2 year old who just so happened to have toys everywhere in my living room and my fridge was bare because it doesn't work right waiting to get a new one I have to now wait for ss to come check my house because as the officer put it he had to walk over the toys and I had no food in my fridge but my cabinets and my deep freeze that he wasnt interested in had food in them. So when does this become harassment j want to know 

Rags's picture

I would call a lawyer to determine if you can refuse them entry if they are without a court order or search warrant.  I would not let them in my house if I were you unless they showed a court order or search warrant.  Remember, these are bottom 10%er civil servants on a power trip so make sure that you put them and keep them in their place by knowing and enforcing your rights.

Time to start calling in to CPS to initiate wellness checks on BM's home. She is the one with the criminal record, history of drug abuse, drug dealing, and child neglect.

Two can play that game. Play it better than she does.  Make sure your home is always presentable, and keep the pressure on BM with random and frequent calls for wellness checks on your SKids when they are with BM.  Your DH should be the one making those calls.

And... WHITE SPACE in your posts. The endless block of text and long run on sentences made reading your post hell. Try spell check as well.

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

You need legal advice. 

My ex sister in law was a social worker on a power trip. 

Apparently the day she graduated, she went home to her parents house to pick up her new present of a briefcase. She picked it up and announced to everyone in the room “ Hello i’m A social worker and I have come to take your children away”. 

This women was pure evil I think. 

There are prob some nice ones, and some bad ones 

Make knowing your rights a priority as you navigate life. 

Best of luck. 

Thumper's picture

Unless there is a warrant, you do NOT have to allow entry. Next talk to a lawyer too.

Fix your yard. I would be pissed If I was your neighbor. Agree with the ordering of the Fridge !!

still learning's picture

Yes, you can refuse the wellness checks but it will look really bad on you like you're trying to hide something.  You have to have a working fridge or proof that one is on the way. Your dogs are running wild tearing up the neighbor's trash??? That needs to be dealt with ASAP or they could be taken away due to owner neglect especially since this has happened before.  Your kiddo can have a play area with fewer toys. You're the adult, set some parameters, and buy some bins.  He could play with one bin at a time, put those away if he wants to get other toys out.  

The wellness visits are an unfortunate side effect of being married to DH since he has a high conflict ex.  Getting a lawyer wouldn't stop these visits. Plus it sounds like you need to build a fence and buy a fridge before shelling out thousands for lawyer fees.  If the findings went to court, so far, your home is not looking so hot.  Sounds like you're the one mainly dealing with this not DH.  DH needs to come home immediately, every single time these checks happen. Maybe if he actually experiences them he'll work harder to put an end to them.  

***I have personally been through "wellness checks" and a couple of CPS investigations. My only advice is to ride it out until the results come back as "Unfounded" and do not give them anything they can use against you.