You are here

Reverse adoption?

Bsmom's picture
Forums: 

Has anyone ever reversed an adoption? I adopted SD14 in 2007. She has stated since then numerous times she doesn't love me, it was a mistake, she wants us divorced, me dead, etc. Our relationship has been bad for over 4 years now and I have no hope anymore of it being repaired. She wants me to reverse the adoption. Should i do it?

Jsmom's picture

For a brat, if it is an available option, hell yes!

Why would you do this and be liable for this child if she can't stand you....

Bsmom's picture

Yes, we have been in all kinds of counseling. Individual, family, peer groups, etc. She even lived at a residential Christian home and we had family counseling 4 times a month. She had counseling and peer groups almost every day! I do think it is a cry for attention, that she wants to show me how tough she is and it's a loyalty thing to her real mom. She even tells us that. I am not ready to do anything at this point but some decisions are going to be made this year when I make a will. Right now I don't want to be resposible for her financially or if my DH died. I have 2 other kids! She hates me.
DH tries to discipline her but there is no respect. she is horrible to all of us and only gets worse. He has tried to come up with someone in the family to take care of her but everyone knows she is out of control and noone wants to deal with the drama! We don't know what to do...

Bsmom's picture

She is on anti anxiety and anti depressants. It doesn't seem to help. She even says she doesn't need it but then asks the shrink for more. Who knows?? She is diagnosed depressed. Her BM signed over her rights in 2007 and never talked to us again. We found out she died in 2008. OUr relationship was healthy until she died. SD14 completely turned on me. She says her mom told her never to respect me, call me mom, etc so she is paying a debt to her dead mom by making my life a living hell. She says she will do it FOREVER. I told her she doesn't have that power over me but right now she is in our home so it is always in crisis mode.
She says that I am her target for her anger towards her real mom because she can't be mad at a dead person.
Military camps overseas? Sounds good to me!!! We have been exporing our options and so far can't find placement for her. We can't afford it. She excalates arguements until we have to call the police to calm her down. she wants to go to jail but they won't take her. YET...

Bsmom's picture

She is on anti anxiety and anti depressants. It doesn't seem to help. She even says she doesn't need it but then asks the shrink for more. Who knows?? She is diagnosed depressed. Her BM signed over her rights in 2007 and never talked to us again. We found out she died in 2008. OUr relationship was healthy until she died. SD14 completely turned on me. She says her mom told her never to respect me, call me mom, etc so she is paying a debt to her dead mom by making my life a living hell. She says she will do it FOREVER. I told her she doesn't have that power over me but right now she is in our home so it is always in crisis mode.
She says that I am her target for her anger towards her real mom because she can't be mad at a dead person.
Military camps overseas? Sounds good to me!!! We have been exporing our options and so far can't find placement for her. We can't afford it. She excalates arguements until we have to call the police to calm her down. she wants to go to jail but they won't take her. YET...

Bsmom's picture

He was a pushover and parented out of guilt but has stepped up to the plate for over a year now. He learned alot thru counseling and realized that he let her manipulate him and he let me be her target. We are very united now, but she sees it as "me winning the contest". Her mom behaved this way til she died-always lying, avoiding responsibility, blaming, etc. We hope that we "raise the bottom" for SD14 she will realize this behavior is not getting the payoff and attention it used to get, her always being the victim, and she will decide to respect us and live her life! So far it gets worse DAILY!! The staff at the residential place where she was for a full year said that the treraputic Christain approach did not work and she might need a boot camp or something like that. She says she would rather go to jail or foster care which is really sad because we have a wonderful home and family.

jumanji's picture

Edit - I am now unclear - is the child 14 NOW, or 14 when you adopted her? I doubt you can un-adopt her, regardless. Unless you have someone else to adopt her. And that would have to be your husband's new spouse. I.e. You would have to divorce, and he would have to remarry.

So... she is over 18? Just have nothing to do with her. BioParents don't get to change parentage of their kid 'cause they don't get along. As an adoptive parent, you're in that same boat. Especially if she is an adult. Unless you find someone else to adopt her.

Bsmom's picture

No, she is 14 now. Sorry for confusion. If things are still this toxic and crazy when she is 18 she will not be welcome in our home. The threats and yelling is too much for me and I hate that my 2 young kids have to live it. We just don't know how to get things under control for the next 3.5 years!

Bsmom's picture

I love that idea but there is no where for her to go. No family members want her. We asked. And she has no friends. There is 1 friend that we have never met that she said will take her any time. Next time she says it I will say pack a bag let's go over there!

Orange County Ca's picture

You can't unadopt someone. Someone else can adopt her but obviously that's not going to happen. You're stuck and comeon she's a teenager ranting and raving and yes I understand she may have mental problems caused by her parents divorce and mothers death.

Just tell her no that its not up for discussion and then don't discuss it again. She can change her name when she's 18 but that doesn't get rid of you. I'm afraid you're both stuck.

As for your will: Look into Living Trusts I think you'll like the idea better than a will. Leave it to your husband if you wish but in that case it'll go to her via him presumably.

If you have others you want to name then this kid can be specifically named out of the will. In some states its a good idea to leave them a small amount to prove that she wasn't accidently 'overlooked' opening the way to challenge the will or trust. A hundred bucks will usually do.