You are here

Child Support Contempt Hearing

Pantera's picture
Forums: 

Hello,

My husband has had sole custody of his son since August of 2007. His ex wife was ordered to pay child support every month. She of course, has not. She now owes a little over $12,000 and my husband filed for contempt for child support since the Child Support Agency was not helping him at all. Child Support has told my husband that they do know his ex wife is working and they have verified it a couple of times. The only problem is, she works a cash job. Does anyone know exactly what happens in a contempt hearing for child support in Maryland? I will go to the hearing to support my husband, but he is still a little nervous as to what is going to happen.

Thanks.

Jbee27's picture

From her loser ex-husband. The state only does something when he's like $1200 behind. Yours is $12k behind?
They'll probably put her in jail.

Pantera's picture

Everyone keeps telling me that they don't let parents go in arrears that long, but in our case they have. My husband is so nice, he really didn't want to do this, but we really need the money. We'll see what happens.

hopeful12's picture

I just went through a contemt hearing with my XH back in MAY. He doesn't work for lame as* reasons. After 9 years of payment about once every 2 years. They gave him a stay, he has to pay the CS ordered which is $190 a month, plus $20 to the $15,000 in arrears. If he does not pay even once in the next year he will do 90 days in jail after the first month of non payment. FINALLY. Have they taken her DL? Your DH should request it if not! That usually slaps the NCP in the face quickly!
~Step Parents of a feather stick together!~

Pantera's picture

Yes, they took her drivers license in January of 2008 and she didn't care, since then all they do is send dunning letters (big deal). I am not trying to offend anyone, but she is a stripper, she can more than afford to pay!!! They tacked on $125 extra a month already, so the extra $125 would go to arrears, but what good did that do if she wasn't paying already? I appreciate your advice though. Hopefully they will do something similar that happened to you.

hopeful12's picture

The whole DL thing didn't bither my xh either... Thats why I forced DSS to file contempt charges on him. I even did the "walking" for them and found him so they could serve him (he moves with his new W and 2 boys younger then DD) It took a long time but our new attorney for DSS put him on the stand and made him feel inches tall. It was GREAT!!! I know that is a BM answer but XH does nothing and I mean nothing for my daughter and never has. Doesn't even see her or call her NOTHING!!!
GOOD LUCK!!!
~Step Parents of a feather stick together!~

Jbee27's picture

If they've taken her license already, the next thing is jail time.
It might not be that much, but I'm pretty sure that's what's after the license suspension.