You are here

Reducing child support

Harleygurl's picture
Forums: 

I don't have any experience/information in this area but need some help. Does anyone out there know if in the state of Ohio can child support be reduced/eliminated if the typically non-custodial parent now haves the child 50% of the time?? Are the two tied at all? I've heard that child support is completely separate from visitation. Any advice is appreciated!

Anon2009's picture

Harleygurl's picture

The CO was set up as 50/50 with no schedule laid out because at the time DH worked for a union and could be gone for weeks at a time working out of town. He has stopped working for a union, started have SS7 EOWE and now will be having him 50% of the time. Week on/Week off between himself and BM. He doesn't mind paying child support when he was only EOWE but if he has SS7 for two weeks out of each month could his child support be reduced or eliminated? He and BM will be equal as far as costs to raise SS7 goes from this point forward. Will he be required to pay for her time plus additional expenses of having SS7 50% of the time?

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

It could be eliminated, but the disparity in income would also come into play. If he out earns her significantly CS could still be ordered.

Harleygurl's picture

He has experienced a decrease of salary of at least 20% and probably more. I wasn't in the picture when he was working union and for awhile after that. When they divorced DH did something I've never seen before - the CO states child support can never be raised. Weird I know! He doesn't mind paying the child support except for when BM whines for more. He always just tells her "It's what you agreed to." If he has to keep paying that will happen. I was just wondering if it could be eliminated now with DH and BM truly going with the 50/50. I personally would like to have it be one more subject not to be 're-hashed over and over again. BM knows I make a great salary and she wants that money. Not going to happen (our finances are completely separate and we own nothing together) but the whining is unbearable!

Harleygurl's picture

I don't know about counting the spouse's earnings. I don't think this state does that. But you have raised my interest because if it does, I will find a way to keep my money out of the equation. I'm not giving her a dime. I make as much in one year that her husband and DH make and then some. Sorry, but I'm not willing to part with what I have put the sweat in for to go to a lazy ass who won't get a job and lives off of assistance. Thanks for pointing that out!

The money discussion always comes up when her money is tight and she can't figure out how to live on what her husband makes. Not once, in all the discussions, has she considered getting a job. For instance, the current whining is because we suspect her government assistance has been cut and Christmas is coming. God forbid she actually solve the problem by getting a job. No she would rather complain and threaten to take DH to court. He just always says "It's what you agreed to." She combats with "But I didn't have a lawyer so it wasn't fair!" (Place a whiny voice in your head when you read that last line.) We have both told her to get a job. She says it's just not possible and will be even harder next year when SS7 and her daughter are both in school. Wouldn't a sane person think that arranging daycare for 1 child would be easier than finding it for 3? She is so screwed in the head.

onthefence2's picture

I'm confused as to why he would get a reduction now that he's actually following the court order and taking the child 50% of the time. His cs was factored based on the fact that he WOULD be taking the child 50% of the time. If he only had EOW, he would have been paying more child support.

His only chance to get it decreased is based on his income going down. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it. She picked up the financial slack while he was traveling for work. How many meals did she have to feed him because Dad did not have him 50%?

She probably is a lazy piece of shit. You aren't going to change that. I wouldn't waste another second worrying about it, and since you make so much money I'm not even sure why it came up in the first place.

Harleygurl's picture

I make a decent earning. My DH does not. Our money is entirely separate so his income only goes to his bills which do not include any bills for our home. And I can assure you she didn't take up much financial slack. Her husband did and you and I did as tax payers supporting her lazy ass with food stamps and welfare. SS7 has come to us starving and dirty before. Watching TV is her main agenda for each day. There is absolutely no reason she couldn't get a job except the fact that she refuses to.

My main question was - Are custody schedules and child support tied together or are they separate matters? If they are tied then should DH have to pay at all now that he is exercising 50% custody? Or if they are not, then that's OK and he will keep paying.