You are here

Please, I need Advice

simply_monica's picture
Forums: 

Hello,
My husband and I are being put through the ringer with child support.
First, we were paying child support for a child that my husband's ex-wife had with another man. Because the child was born while they were legally married but separated, we had to fight to remove him from the divorce and the child support cases. We finally removed him, unfortunately we will never see a dime. We were told we could pursue it civilly.
We have finally fixed our child support case, but they have taken our whole tax return. All over a glitch in the computer system. I know child support will not give a penny. We really needed that money. We have the children more than 50% of the time yet we pay $492 a month. All because she refuses to work.
I don't understand how a government can support women who do nothing but give birth to children and leech off the system. I am in the military since I was 17, I am a full time student also. My husband works full time and we live off the bare minimum. We do not even have enough money to survive off of. We have had to move into my husband's parent's home.
What can we do? Is there any way we can stop child support from consistently taking money from us?

sixteensmom's picture

Not sure where you live but < $500/mo for 2 or more kids isn't enough to raise them. How can your tax return be kept if you're paid up? I think you need to fight the system.

simply_monica's picture

We were paying $616 for three kids, 12, 7, and 2 years. The two year old is not my husband's child. We paid this amount for 1 year. We finally had the 2 year old removed and the child support was reduced to $492 a month. We have the kids, Sunday Night until Wednesday morning, then Thursday Morning until Friday morning. While going through the court proceedings we paid the BM by money order, not through the child support office. She claims we never paid a cent. So we had to pull the receipts but not before being put in arrears for over $2,000.
We went to court, it was suppose to be zeroed out. But instead of closing that case, they left it open and now we have a case open for that case and the new one where we are only suppose to pay $492.
In short we have a case open for $616 with an arrears of $2,000 which is suppose to be closed and the new case of the amount of $492. In essence we are paying over $1,100 in child support a month for children we have more than 50% of the time.

IAmALady77's picture

Oh lord, I have no idea about any of that stuff but I would get a REALLY good lawyer and DEMAND that they figure it out NOW or sue the county. If you have them more than half the time you shouldn't be paying CS period I'm pretty sure...

Lalena75's picture

Get a lawyer on it asap sounds like a huge mess to have to deal with. The cost of a lawyer to me looks worth it to save all the bullshit and $ you'll lose to cs.

rosie33's picture

Completely understand your frustrations! We go back to CS next month because BM decided she wants to have another kid and only work part time while living at home, not paying any bills and collecting all the government $ she can. I can guarantee our child support will be raised too even though that child shes carrying has nothing to do with the support for her kids to my fiance. However, let my fiance decide to work part time and see how they laugh in his face if he asked to change the CS! We pay $600 now for two with 50/50 but now that shes going to part time, it will go back up to $700.

I wouldn't be paying a dime to that "open" case for the $616 and arrears and I'd be calling everyday asking if it was closed.

Good Luck!

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

Did you file "innocent spouse" with the IRS? And how did they take the refund already? That usually takes months to do.

And what military are you in where you have to live with your inlaws? Are you in the reserves or guard?