You are here

Mutual residential parents?

Kay.B's picture
Forums: 

BM told FDH that she is having her lawyer put in the papers that neither BM not FDH Is the residential parent, that it is to be a mutual decison on where the kids go to school.

Is this possible? I don't see it working out in anyone's favor. I just picture a bunch of legal bs and being back in court.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

HungryEyes's picture

Neither me nor my ex is named as residential parenting but we get along very well. Our decree says we have to agree on all decisions or go through court ordered mediation but I don't foresee that ever being an issue.

Kay.B's picture

I should have added.....

We all have a good relationship. BM and I don't like each other but we talk back and forth about important things and FDH and BM have a good relationship. They have 50/50 shared parenting a week on a week off. So far they have agreed on everything but what school to put the kids in. BM works full time as an stna and does not have a mon-fri schedule. Usually she works more hours when we have the kids and only one or two days when she has them. FDH works mon-fri every week.

Of course they both want to be the residential parent for their own benifit. BM has always wanted her kids to go to school A and FDH has always wanted them to go to school B. It makes more sense to me for FDH husband to be the residential parent because of his work and he plans on buying a house in the next year or so.

Rags's picture

Bad move IMHO. I think when it comes to schools the child goes to the school where the parent living in the best district or if in the same district the school were the parent living in the feed zipcode for the best school lives.

No need to agree or disagree. Purely a quality of school mandate in the CO. The kid goest to the best available school..... PERIOD!!!

If one parent wants to pay for a top quality private school for he kid then that is where the kid goes regardless of what the other parent thinks about it.

IMHO of course.