You are here

FAMILY LAW MANDATORY SETTLEMENT CONFERENCE QUESTION

SUNFLOWERGRL's picture
Forums: 

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT A FAMILY LAW MANDATORY SETTLEMENT CONFERENCE IS AND WHAT IT IS SUPPOSE TO ACCOMPLISH? FIANCE HAS IT TOMORROW AND I WANTED TO PREPARE ALL HIS PAPERWORK FOR HIM. HE DOES NOT HAVE A LAWYER SO I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT? DO YOU THINK ITS ABOUT SETTLING AN AGREEMENT BEFORE TRIAL? HE HAS TRIAL SET FOR THE 13TH. SO I AM THINKING THAT HE HAS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR AN AGREEMENT SO THAT IT DOES NOT HAVE TO LEAD TO A TRIAL. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR APPRECIATED.

Sita Tara's picture

But I imagine it's a conference to attempt to get everyone to agree, held outside of the court room.

Sorry I'm not more help. Goodluck!Peace, love, and red wine

steppie1999's picture

I went through this type of thing during my divorce. Don't know if it was called the same thing or not but basically it was a meeting with me, ex and our attorneys for the asset and property division, setting up visitation and parenting aggreement and any other issues pertaining to divorce and children. Hope this helps...Good luck!

The following exerpt was found on Yahoo Answers:
"Don't fret over this. The courts are so clogged that alot of states require a settlement conference before going to trial to avoid taking the court's time. Alot of issues can also get resolved and those that don't will get settled in court. I hope you have a lawyer they will do most of the talking. You're basically going to meet with the other party and his lawyer with a mediator to hopefully resolve some issues. Just make sure your lawyer knows exactly how you feel. Any issues that are resolved are put in writing and get entered into court documents so don't sign anything until you and your lawyer have read it carefully! Don't feel you have to cave either, that's what the mediator is trying to do, he/she is not on anybody's side they just want to settle the issues."

stand_by_your_man's picture

They want the parties to attempt mediation before they use up court time.
You won't be allowed in room: only the mother and father.
I too had prepared all the paperwork for DH (could not afford lawyer) but the mediator-person wouldn't even look at it (a Parenting Plan we proposed)...it was very biased in favor of the BM, according to my husband...she got everything she asked for.
If you can afford an attorney, get one. Thats my 2 cents.

"...sometimes I wonder how I keep from goin under"

k222719's picture

You can get a lawyer but when it comes to mediation they can prep you but its a waste of money in.
The mediator usually does favor with the BM, they are supposed to take into acct what is best for the child but, in Southern Ca, if you have a penis you wont get squat!
But the mandatory settlement should be the conference w/judge to see if you guys came to a parenting plan agreement. But again in SO Cal the judge usually sides with the mediator.