You are here

When is a kid faking it?

derb84123's picture

CSM to two, kids see BM EOWE and summer. How do you know when a kid is faking being sick? My SD (8), I swear she fakes it.... both kids used to a lot. But at the same time I dont want to be callous. She coughs only when people are listening or around-- or when she is in her room because she is in trouble. This then exasperates into an actual sore throat. I know that BM babies them when they are sick- and actually gives them her babies medicine (whole other issue).

Ive read articles online saying that it is common for children to fake a cough to get attention, but how do you know the difference?

amber3902's picture

Sure fire way to find out if they're faking is to say "Oh, I'm sorry we were going to go to the movies but now we can't because you're sick."

Or "Sorry, but you can't have any ice cream, it will make your cough worse."

You'll be amazed at how quickly they're cured! Wink

I know when my D8 really is sick when she doesn't want to go to school or visit her daddy. (Loves school and loves seeing her dad)

If your SD is exasperating herself into an actual sore throat, I'd find the nastiest tasting medicine I could find and have her take it for her sore throat. She'd learn quick not to cough herself into a sore throat anymore.

Tuff Noogies's picture

THIS is exactly what my parents did too!

well, they wouldnt purposely pick my favorites, but a sick person was expected to stay resting in bed and eat bland foods. we had no tv in the bedroom or anything either. no exceptions.

works like a charm to prevent faking it!

Tuff Noogies's picture

oh believe me, if my parents were in a position to try to pick my favorites, they WOULD have!

things were very regimented for us, due to both parents working, three kids total, church 3x/wk plus 'homework' for that, a wild-child brother of mine, and a tight budget. we planned out all meals and stuff a week in advance because of $ and limited time between work/school and church. we couldnt have cable back then (they didnt run it that far) so favorite tv show was out.

but believe me, if it would serve to drive home the point and show me that i was missing out for faking, they would DEFINITELY have used 'favorites' as part of their arsenal!

twoviewpoints's picture

When they have no other signs of being sick (no low grade fever, eyes are clear, doesn't cough at all while sleeping, appetite is normal, throat looks clear/normal, suddenly recovers after told can stay home or they run get their DS and happily run back to their warm beds, blah blah blah). Has anyone in their class been sick or has kid been exposed to anyone that has been sick. I don't usually fall for 'sick on command' illnesses.

When in doubt I usually send kid to school. After 36yrs of having kids in the house, not too many times have I ever been fooled. I can't say I've ever had one 'faker' actually call me to come get them. Usually after getting to school and starting their day they manage to forget they were 'sick'. When I do let them stay home because yeah, there are a few signs of coming down with something other than a forced cough-cough, I don't make their stay at home fun. Off to bed for the day.

derb84123's picture

Thanks everyone-- I do all these things, but I can't help but feel evil! I'm glad to hear that I'm not being unreasonable or uncaring ... I just have no sympathy for that kind of thing. She has been at it for three days, but no call from school or her after school care. No fever and eating fine. I will continue on with my uncaring actions lol Smile Thanks!

butterflybloom's picture

it drives my crazy when my SD13 for any reason, a scrape, bite, little cute, itching...ANYTHING..was DADDY THIS HURTS...it was so annoying..I would tell her leave it alone your just going to make it worse. Yet, she has this annoying habit of hunching her back<<

Harleygurl69's picture

My son tried this to go home from school once when he was in first grade. I picked him up, put him to bed, and let him stay there for about 2 hours doing nothing. He confessed that he faked it because he wanted to come home and play. Hasn't happened again.

Drac0's picture

I use the same trick my Dad used on me while I was growing up:

Me: *cough* *cough* *cough* "Dad I think I'm sick! I'm not well enough to go to school."

Dad: "Then we are going to the doctors."

Me: "Urm...I'm not *that* sick."

Dad: "Then you're going to school."

Me: "But I don't think I should be going to school..."

Dad: "Then we are going to the doctors..."

Me: "But Dad!"

Dad: "No buts. Doctor or school? What's it going to be?"

I guess the fear of being caught lying by the doctor (and the subsequent punishment that would surely follow) was enough to get me to stop faking it.

derb84123's picture

SD never tries to get out of school... its just the annoying fake coughing! or what I think is fake. She is fine at school, and never tries to get out of it. And last night she spent all night in her room bc of behavior anyway- its like she just does it to get us to pay attention. Anyway, you are right- straight to bed tonight

eforest2000's picture

SD10 has an issue with faking sick. She's missed a ton of school. The sick thing stopped working in our house, at least. She woke up and informed us she was too sick to go to school. She had no fever and was, when distracted, energetic and normal acting. I told her if she was going to be sick, we would remove all electronics from her room and she would have to stay in bed, lying down, all day. Finally, I decided that I would just force her to go to school. I felt bad because she was crying and stuff. As we walked to school, she told me her stomach hurt. Then she'd get distracted. Then, her legs would hurt. As she came up with more and more things, I became more convinced she was faking, and felt better about my decision. She now only fakes sick when she's at her mothers house. She's still missing a ton of school but its better

jumanji's picture

I dunno.... My kids never tried this. But then, they also knew we'd take occasional "mental health days" where all three of us would play hookie.

over_the_rainbow's picture

I played sick all the time as a kid. I was a mostly 'A' student, in the 'gifted' program, I loved learning, but I just really hated school. If they would have just given me the books and let me teach myself I would have been fine with that.

SD8 does the fake cough thing once in a while. I choose to ignore her and she stops. Hopefully that will keep working Wink