Sick SK

jojo68's picture

SD11 is complaining of her stomach hurting (but no vomiting)and she is coughing and complains of a sore throat. She went to the nurse yesterday and the school wouldn't send her home because she didn't have a fever or vomiting. She is notorious for for being a drama queen and making a mountain out of a molehole but I hate to not believe her and she really be sick. I know that when she has really been sick in the past, she had a fever and she slept most of the time. She didn''t go to school today and was posting on Facebook how sick and hurting she is. MIL is trying to get a Dr appt today and find out what is going on. I think she has a little cold and doesn't want to go to school for some reason but I don't know. Anybody have any input?

jojo68's picture

She says her stomach hurts very frequently...at least one a week. She happens to have a little cold now so its throat and stomach. If her stomach truly bothers her as much as she complains about it...she has a serious problem. Stomach hurting is a very broad statement to which she has no specifics.

jojo68's picture

Amen...Hopefully this visit to the Dr. will solve it one way or the other...DH is actually starting to doubt it this time.

icehockey101's picture

At our house, if you are sick, you are in bed. Period. No TV. No electronics. No phone. You can read books and if we *actually* think you are sick you get radio. No iPod. If you claim stomach or digestive issues it is BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast - no butter or seasoning). No evening activities. Lots & lots of rest.

If they are faking, one time of this will usually clear it up pretty quickly. If we think they are faking, then we usually try to make it worse by having one of their favorite foods that night as well. They get "I'm sorry, you're not feeling well, remember. You need to eat bland foods that will help you feel better," and "I'm so sorry you can't (insert really cool activity here), but you're sick and you need to rest so you will feel better."