You are here

Transportation when DH moves

tradingplaces's picture

Ok, can anyone please help? DH's plan says transportation is to be shared - typically this means the person who's beginning time sharing picks up. However DH is to return her to school so BM only has to pick up on non school days which amounts to maybe 3-4 times in summer and maybe a few days during the school year. He moved a little under an hour away years ago and she is now taking him to court so that he is responsible for all transportation.

Can you all tell me how this normally works? Is the person who lives further typically responsible or do both parents have to share in some transportation responsibility?

I mean..is this probably not worth fighting if the judge will just give it to her anyway?

RedWingsFan's picture

Since DD14 lives with her dad full time in Michigan (I'm in Denver) and I have spring & summer visitation, we split the costs of DD's flights equally. I pay for her round trip at spring, he pays for summer. I go up to Michigan every Christmas to see her and my family and friends but that's my vacation every year so I foot the bill for that.

With SD14, we only live about 5 miles from her mother, so there's really no travel involved. When we were still having visitation with her, DH would always swing by BM's and pick her up after work and then take her home. BM has only dropped her at our place ONE TIME in more than 2 yrs. She just can't be bothered...

StickAFork's picture

I think it's usually ordered to share the transportation, regardless of who moves.

At least, that's what happened with us.

Unfreakingreal's picture

In my 12 years with DH, BM has not ONCE been responsible for pick up or drop off. EVER.

Unfreakingreal's picture

What's even more annoying is that the tolls on the bridge are now 13.00, plus the gas he spends to drive an hour each way. I don't care, he got himself into that mess, so whatever.

thebrokenrecordmachine's picture

I think it does depend on the agreement, although after a certain amount of time, (I could be wrong) it is hard to follow it,in its entirety since things do change. I think it should be split 50/50 especially if one person is doing more driving than the other. My SO BM never drivees or helps out with the driving. She hasnt done it once.She recently wanted an additional $20 for gas on top of Csupport because she had to drive to us to get her child support. SO was gonna give it to her untill I intervened and said wtf. My advice, make it 50/50 that way it is a more balanced approach and it shows your DH, that your willing to compromise and the BM. Dont be too accomodating or nice, as ive discovered. Thats when the BM, tries to take advantage fast. Just try to be equal 50/50. Thats the best Advice I can give from experience! Good Luck!

Redsonya's picture

My DH moved from down the street from BM to my house, about an hour away. Because it was less than 50 miles, the judge ordered BM to pick up and DH to drop off, even though he was the one who moved.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

Depends. An hour is not that big of a deal. Perhaps you can meet half way? What have they been doing in the interim regarding transportation?

My husband moved states away and it was ordered to be shared, but there was a caveat regarding being current on CS for expenses to be shared. Since BM never paid CS, my husband never paid transportation...not that visitation happened consistently either though.