You are here

Is it easier to deal with BM if you're long distance?

tradingplaces's picture

Give me some hope people. We are looking at a move that would put us across the state and force a modification to a long distance parenting plan.

Did that make dealing with a crazy BM any easier?

Totalybogus's picture

It makes it MUCH easier to deal with the BM, however, I think that dad winds up losing out on watching his children grow up. They lose that closeness.

tradingplaces's picture

Thanks for the feedback. Hoping that with enough communication that won't happen.

worst_stepmom_ever's picture

My XH and I live long distance and I can say that we get along MUCH better with the distance between us. I think his relationship with DD is actually better since she spends longer stretches of time with him so he can get involved with things like really taking the time to teach her how to ride a bike for example. I guess I say it's better since between how BM is and how DH's work schedule is, EOWE is pretty unproductive as far as him having any sort of meaningful relationship with DH goes. It's harsh to say, but it's true. If she just came a few weeks in summer/holidays he'd end up with more quality time together than he does now.

tradingplaces's picture

Makes sense. I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. Mostly I just never want to have to deal with BM again.

SickupAndFed's picture

I think it gets easier for the SM... It's a bit of a weight lifting when you know you won't have to run into her.

I was happy when BM moved out of state so I didnt have to constantly worry about SS letting her into my house when I wasn't home. :jawdrop:

But you probably will spend more money on travel.

HungryEyes's picture

Our BM is 8 hours away. Best. Thing. Ever. We actually get along decently with a couple states between us, it's quite nice.