You are here

The Step Drama goes on for generations

Disillusioned's picture

So last weekend there is a big family get together for my family, extended family, friends, etc...

All my cousins are there including three step-cousins.

I was raised with the step-cousins simply being cousins, and they were as much family as everyone else. They in turn have always been the same with us - with the exception of the eldest girl - she has some issues!

This one reminds me of my DH's sister - always a scowl on her face, ignores my siblings and I - has even gotten up and left gatherings in the past because she just can't 'handle it'

So, first a little back-ground on this; my grandparents divorced when my Mom was a little girl (my grandmother had gotten sick after the birth of her youngest child, spent an extended amount of time in hospital, and in the meantime my grandfather had an affair with the lady he hired to help look after the kids/my Mom and Uncles) My grandmother came home to be told that my grandfather was divorcing her, he and his new SO with taking custody of the kids. My mother grew up never so much as being allowed to even mention her mother's name, in her father & SM's home. My Mom greatly resented all of this, so as soon as she could leave home - with her help of her own Mom/my grandmother - she did. And then once she started her own family, she withheld her kids/my siblings and I, from having any real relationship with our grandfather and step-grandmother. My grandfather and his wife did try on occasion to see us, making the drive to our home, only to have my Mom make it very uptight and tense for everyone, until they left.

My Mom says she despised her SM's son/my Mom's step-brother, but we grew up calling him Uncle and really not understanding that he was anything but an actual Uncle to us. His children, the three step-cousins, we saw during summer vacation when we all camped together and of course at big family get together's with my other Uncles and their families - who for the most part had no problem with the step side of the family. My Mom was the one who carried the biggest grudge.

Oh, and this one step-cousin. I was pretty close to the middle step-cousin growing up, and we still to this day get on amazingly. I love her to death, she's great. But her sister - wow - what a piece of work! She has no problem making it clear how much she despises my siblings and I. And we have no idea why!

These step-cousins grew up knowing my grandfather as their grandfather. From what we've heard, he was an amazing grandfather to them. This step-cousin makes sure everyone knows how close she was to him. That he picked her up every day from school, she spent every afternoon at their home, that he simply doted on her. Even to this day, in her front entrance of her home, is a gigantic portrait of my grandfather and her grandmother.

Fine. We have no issue with that. We understand the issues in our family were between my mother and her SM. We have no resentment towards our grandfather and step-grandmother that we didn't have a relationship with them growing up. And we certainly feel no resentment towards our step-cousins who did. My siblings and I know that our Mother was the one who made the decision to deny us that relationship and we've always left it at that.

However, we have always been instructed that we were not to mention our grandmother, ever, around our step-cousins. First of all, why would any of us do that anyway? None of us really care about that whole situation, and we've always been super forgiving of the divorce (hey we weren't even born!) accepting of our step-cousins, and super tolerant to the attitude and crap from this one cousin. But, being TOLD we are not allowed to mention our own grandmother - who did nothing wrong - is a bit much. I mean really. If anyone had any right to feel any resentment and demand certain individuals were not to be brought up, not so sure it was my grandmother it should have been!

Regardless, we've all tolerated this cousin's crap for a long time.

At the family get together on the weekend, I decided that I'm not so sure I'm willing to do that anymore.

Whether her issues are because she resents that we are the actual bio grandchildren of "her" beloved grandfather as my brother believes, or because maybe my Mother may not have been so accepting or nice to her step-nieces as my sister believes, or maybe because she grew up hearing all the stories her grandmother filled her head with about the evil SD/my Mom, which I believe, at the end of the day - we - her step-cousins, have never been anything but great to her. And she, the one who I really don't think has any 'right' to walk around with the attitude she has after all 'we' have lost as a result of her grandmother, is the one that is filled with bitterness and is just plain nasty :? :? :?

Maybe due to all I've tolerated from DH's sister and daughter over the years, I finally decided last weekend that I would not be tolerating any more of this crap from this step-cousin. So when she she walked up to the group where my sister and I were chatting with another cousin (bio) and the step-cousin cut in only to greet our other cousin, ignoring my sister and I, and stood there with that same nasty look on her face, I completely ignored her in return. Believe me, that is a first for her.

Wow did that get a reaction Biggrin at that point she did look at me, but I was already hugging and chatting with my other step-cousin/her sister.

Just so done putting up with people who have problems. I get she's bitter - although I do not get why - but not going to sit back and take all her nastiness any longer.

Time to grow up, for sure!

Thumper's picture

Yes it can be generational for sure.

Unfortunately the trauma from (example) granny is imposed on her child. She has a few kids and SHE imposes her physical or emotional trauma during her childhood on to the current kids. Those kids now, in 30's or 40's has kids. It goes on and ON, and ON until someone stops that legacy.

stop that cycle of drama works with two mentally healthy x's.

Not perfect people, but mentally healthy x's

**OP I have a friend who has a step daughter and she is as rude as can be. She is in her mid 20's. Very similar situation you had, I also experienced with her a few months ago. YUP, I think it was the very first time anyone pretended she was not there while she rudely physically wedged herself in between us. I kept talking over her like she was not there.............you should have seen the look on her face**.

ldvilen's picture

Your story reminds me of my own and brings up a couple of interesting points. I too had a step-grandmother that I consider as only a grandmother. As a child, I had no idea what a step- was. To me, it was just grandpa and grandma. And, when you think about it, it would be cruel to imply to a child that there is grandpa and then grand-ho. But, that certainly doesn't stop a lot of people. Anyway, . . . .

Unfortunately, my mother, whom I love dearly and is otherwise a good person, looked at her step-mom as the stereotypical SM = She was two-faced, didn't really care for them, created problems for them, etc. Basically, any little thing that went wrong in the family, she was to blame for. We all know that story. But, even tho. I was the child and my mom was the adult, I couldn't figure what my mom was talking about. I loved Grandma and to me she was always pleasant, gave us cookies, tried to include us in conversation, etc. She was the only grandmother on mom's side that I really knew. I had seen pictures of my bio-GM, but I'd never met her.

My bio-GM passed when my BM was six years old. My grandpa had six kids at this point, and my SGM, came along as a single woman, and married grandpa and took on the burden of these six kids within little more than a year of BM's passing. There was no Steptalk or anything such back and then and there were very few SMs. Man, I realize now what a hell it must've been for her. Her church, everyone, would have just told her to suck it up and take it, and she pretty much had to. She did go on to have 2 kids of her own, so at one point, she was taking care of eight, and just shortly after the depression.

My thought, even before I became a SM, was that a lot of gratitude and not pissy-attitude is what was really owed SGM. She basically saved that family. Back then, a single dad wasn't expected to raise kids by himself, and if he couldn't find another wife soon enough, the kids would have all been farmed out to different relatives or orphanages even, and at one point, initially they were. In reality, I'm hoping as soon as my SGM passed, my bio-GM welcomed her into heaven and gave her a great big hug of thanks for all she had done for her bio-kids. SGM sure deserved some accolades.

No one is served keeping up this pissy-attitude toward the SP, generation after generation. It just shows how far reaching misplaced anger or venom can really reach. I've decided to have less to do with my adult SKs recently due to their attitude towards me, but I am concerned about how to deal with or handle SGKs. Maybe I'll just have to use my own SGM as an example--bring on the cookies.

still learning's picture

Your SGM was a saint to take on a man with 6 kids. Your GM probably directed her to your family to care for, protect, and keep them together.

I feel the same way about adult skids as you, distance is needed. They are hurt and blaming me for inherited hurts from their parents. I also adore the gskids, they are innocent in all of this and don't understand the drama...yet. Hopefully they never do but it seems inevitable. Love in the form of cookies is a very good strategy.

Disillusioned's picture

Goodluck, that makes sense.

And good for you for putting that girl in her place. She probably didn't know what to make of someone standing up to her Biggrin

Sometimes people like that - like my cousin, and DH's sister - are so used to acting like a nasty bully they really are stunned when someone gives them a taste of their own stupidness

Disillusioned's picture

Idvilen wow - yes your experience is very similar. Your SGM sounds amazing and she is owed a lot of thanks...sad but true that she probably didn't get much of that, due to your mother and her resentment.

this is truly how my own mother treated my step-grandmother and I've sometimes wondered if my step-grandmother was all that bad, or if my mom was just dealing with the typical hurt, anger, resentments that seem to be the norm in step situations

Otherwise good people that behave badly in a trying circumstance Sad

This does remind me of my own SD even, who has zero gratitude for anything I do for her and would make me the problem in everything. Yet somehow my SGS's seem oblivious, and we have a good relationship so far Dirol

The only difference in our situations, is other than our mothers, it's actually my step-grandmother's grandchild/my step-cousin, who has the issue, not us

Her anger and resentment towards us, makes no sense. We don't have that same resentment to her grandmother, or her parents, and still are not sure why she feels it towards us :?

But, you are correct that it does tend to carry on for generations. And at the end of the day, yes usually it is the SM/SGM that have to suck it up and deal with all the crappy attitude and lack of any sort of respect or gratitude :O

I like your attitude about the cookies Biggrin yes that is sort of how I think of my SGK's, be sweet and kind, treat them with all the love and respect you can, and hope they grow up and see past their parent's cloud of issues

Disillusioned's picture

StepAside that's so true about it being hard to know when to set boundaries and stop tolerating other's passive aggressive crap.

I think I tend to tolerate for far too long, but then when I decide I'm done, that's it.

I've reached that point with her (and a few others in my life at this point like DH's sister, OSD and BM) maybe its a part of getting old Biggrin but I just don't care to participate in all that drama and nonsense any longer - if someone has an issue with me and wants to act it out, well have fun with that - I can remove you from my life just as easily and quite happily too!

And yes she is so the type to probably try to rally the relatives around her...I don't think she'll get too far though. Most of the cousins are already well aware she has a chip on her shoulder in general, whereas my siblings and I have never made a stink about her or her issues..... I'll just quietly disengage from her - something I learned well from ST! Wink

Disillusioned's picture

Wow, you've given me a lot to think about StepAside. So very true.

Really like how you handled the co-worker. You are so right that's it's not easy to control that switch, especially with the aggressive bullies out there.

Dealing with people like DH's sister and OSD for example, I literally struggle with biting my tongue because I would so love to let loose on them.

Instead I just remind myself repeatedly that they have issues, not to let their issues become mine. I always try to stay above that crap...but yes it is such a struggle sometimes!