You are here

Step-daughter of 11 years

Mr.stack's picture

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the discussion boards. I have been reading alot of others post and feel that I need more specific opinions on my situation. First a quick background story, I am a disabled veteran, married with 2 bio kids and a SD from wifes previous relationship. I have been rasing my SD for the past 11 years (she turned 12 this past july). The Bio father doesnt care to come around and avoids paying child support. He is a real big piece of shit dead beat asshole. Anyways my whole relationship with my SD has become tense and difficult. She is diagnosed and medicated for ADHD and has been since she was 7 yo. For the last few years things have been getting worst and worst, she is constantly lying about everything. I mean about little and big stuff, really elaborate lies. She also steals alot from me and her mother, from jewlery, makeup, electronics, money... you name it. Iv been trying to be a good parent, to be patient. But with each pasing day I get angrier and more resentful. Im at the point where I dont want to be around her, I literally dread when she comes home from school. Me and my wife dont fight much about anything, but we fight like crazy when it comes to my SD. Her mother feeds into her lies and manipulations. SD has problems at school, with students and family members. I dont know what else to do, I have had enough. This is really tearing me apart, i try so very hard to be a good dad. I try and teach when mistakes are made and I reward greatly for good behavior but with SD she acts like a spoiled teenager that thinks she can do whatever she wants with no consequences. She has been in therapy for over a year and was even place inpatient psychiatric for pulling a knife on her younger brother and sister (my bio kids). She is always disrespectful and talking back, she refuses to follow rules and choirs. I dont know what else to do. Any feed back from yall would be much appreciated.

MissTexas's picture

very hard, and your plans are the same with regard to discipline and following through, I'm afraid you're fighting a battle you can't win.

Cut all the rewards and buying things for this non-deserving brat. 

Either your wife is on board and wants what's best for YOU, or she stays in the same boat with her daughter.

I'm wondering if ADHD is the extent of her issues?

I have sent you a message as well.

Rags's picture

Time to give your DW the common denominator speech.  Lay out all of SD-12's behavior crap at home, at school, with other kids, with teachers, knifing her younger sibs.  Then ask DW what the common denominator is.  

Hint: It is the kid.

Keep up the message until DW pulls her own head out and quits running interference for the kid, holds the kid to strict standards of behavior and forces therapy and meds.

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

In a situation like this it might be wise to put a padlock on a large cupboard door and use it as storage for your valuables. Not seeing them for a few months may be better than them getting broken or stolen.  Do not leave the key lying around. 

I have my own make up stored in a locked make up case so my 3 year old can’t get to it.

Has your partner had counselling to help her deal with any of this. 

Siemprematahari's picture

Disengage! For your own safety, sanity and mental well being be done with trying to parent this child. You stated that she pulled a knife on her younger brother & sister, once she did that all bets would be off. Her mother is not helping the situation by entertaining the lies and manipulations so you're going to need to decide if you want to continue in this marriage if your wife chooses not to change.

Do you want to keep living the rest of your years in chaos and drama? You deserve better than this.

Mr.stack's picture

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice, I have tried talking with the wife on many many occations but she is so defensive about my SD that she basically disregards my feelings. Im in the mist of finding a family counselor to try and facilitate between the three of us. Im also upping help for my self from the VA. I hope my doctor can help advise me better on my at home situations. Again thank you everyone for your helpful advice.

CLove's picture

Get proof, and your DW cannot refute what she is seeing with her own eyes.

If she is that far down the rabbit hole, however, she may not benefit from counseling. Many people come here for advice on how to MAKE their partners SEE.

What we are sometimes missing is that they DO NOT WANT TO SEE, and we cannot make them if they are not willing.

You can try talking to her, but it sounds like you already have, and nothing has changed.

You can try changing you and how you approach things. The kid has issues that are not being addressed. She has problems with everyone and not just you. She needs help obviously. But she also needs PARENTING. Her mother is not doing her any favors by guilty parenting/trying to be her friend. The child needs her mother to parent her.