You are here

A Soul Searching Soon to be Step Mom

summer76's picture

I'm new to this site; however, from the blogs that I read it sounds like I found it at a similar time to others, while I was in tears wishing I had a crystal ball to see the future. I'm 32 and in love with a 28 year old man who was married right out of highschool. He has a 7 year old daughter and 4 year old boy that is he thought was his when at the time of birth; however, found out after the divorce that he is not biologically his.

We have been toghter for almost 3 years (engaged for 1 of them) and live together. I'm getting a pretty good preview of the trials of step-parenting from the time we spend with the kids every other weekend and Wendensdays. I've had alot of problems with the daughter - she has stole jewlery from me, told me her dad was using me, tells her dad I said things I never said. At other times she is very loving and affectionite and we get along pretty well most of the time.

Lately I have been having painc attacks thinking about what my life is going to be like with this man and if i'm doing the right thing by following my heart and marrying him. When I first met him I couldn't picture myself longing for kids of my own but after falling deeply in love I hope to not only love his kids but desparately want to have kids with him myself someday. Of course there is a catch to that - he had a vasectomy after the boy was born and to his credit he did tell me this from the start of our relationship. We have talked about getting it reversed after we are married; however, according to all the stats we will only have a 60% shot if we are lucky.

I'm wondering if I don't have kids my own if life will be fufilling for me as a only being a step-parent and if I can ever share in the joy he has for his kids without having kids of my own. I wonder if all the prideful and joyful moments in his life like when his daughter graduates, gets married and has kids of her own will all be some of the worst of mine because of mixed up feelings like jealousy, regret, awkwardness, anger ect....

If I had a crystal ball I would love to see how things are going to go but since I don't I've been searching the internet looking at the words of wisdom from people who have been in the thick of it and know what these experiences are like. If you have any words of wisdom for a mixed up girl like me please share.

sarahbernheart's picture

it is almost a crap shoot, if your SO supports you and you both can agree on disipline and boundries and puts the MARRIAGE above all else, then you will have a happy ever after...if not mayhem and chaos will be your lot..
sorry honey read the posts it is a sad fact and the older these kids become the worse their behaviours gets (for the most part)

"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without one."

northernsiren's picture

totally fine. My FH has a 14 yr old daughter. Like you, I'm 32 and so is he. She was born before we even graduated high school!!! It's insane to me, but I've gotten used to it over time.

I have a wonderful relationship with SD, totally independent of FH. FH and I want very much to have a baby together, but I have doubts about my own ability to get pregnant or have a child. FH and I have talked about this, and I think honestly he still wants to marry me and be with me if that is the case (something I did not have with my ex). To me, I am immensely grateful for SD, b/c if it turns out we cannot have a child together, we still have this lovely young woman to be a part of our lives and to be considered a family with us. If you can find a place of love and acceptance with the SKIDS, it may just be the saving grace if your FH is not in that 60% or is not interested in sperm donation. I know the SKIDS aren't exactly making this easy, but if you can strive for it, it may just be the thing that gets you through a potentially big disappointment.

Good luck to you, I hope that it gets better for you and your family!!!

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Razamond's picture

Summer - I have a similar circumstance. My H and I have been married 3 years - he has a 13 yr old D and a 10 yr old son. I have a 12 yr old son. MY 13 yr old SD sounds just like yours - she has stolen jewelry, perfume, deod and other small items. Plus she has lied to her father saying I said this or that or did this or that - total lies. This has been an ongoing drama - over the past three plus years. It finally got to the point where I told him if it continued they had to leave. - you can read my blog. I disengaged from her and it has really helped. My H's ex talked him into having a vasectomy too - so no kids for us, and I would love to have another child - especially with him because I do truly love him. BUT, when I look back over what SD has put me thru and how H has acted about certain things I WOULD NOT HAVE MARRIED HIM. If I had a crystal ball back then - I would be single now.

bewitched's picture

"To Thine Own Self Be True" William Shakesphere

I've had a lot of jobs in my life (the scariest one being working as a corrections officer in an all male prison). I've raised two sons, I've been thru a marriage to a Sociopath. I've lost a very dear aunt to horrible violence.

But I can tell you, living day to day, with my current H is the hardest, worst life of them all. Let's just forget for a moment what h is like in the husband/wife relationship. It's the SD17-H tag team that I'll focus on. He has made it clear, to me and to her, that she is the queen when she's around. I have been recently informed by H that SHE will NOT be required to do ANYTHING when she is here in MY home. She can take up all the couch and leave no seating for me, or anyone else, when she is in my home. She can be snotty, pouty, spoiled rotten, and I am expected to accept this behavior in my own home.

I don't care for SD17 anylonger. Couldn't care less what becomes of her, because of the way she and H have treated me, after I tried to do so much for her.

Whose fault? H's. It is and was in his power to make her behave respectfully, respect me in my home. Help out with clean up, etc. when she is here. H could have made this a marriage/family that would work. Instead, he has chosen a path to make certain that I know my place-and it's not beside him, but behind him and SD17.

Just be certain that your F knows that if you are going to become part of this family, that does not mean being less than him, or his kids. And watch him when he's with them around you...and if you see signs of the hell I am living, I would definately suggest you move on. I wish I was single now.
s

JMC's picture

JamaicanMeCrazy
DISNEY LIED...THERE IS NO 'HAPPILY EVER AFTER'

Before I got married 14 months ago. Summer, we're not trying to discourage anyone from getting married, but when your SO has kids, you better make sure you're up for the challenges, the stress, the tears and the fights, because it's a rare situation if SM,DH & Skids actually get along well, if at all. If this 7yr old is already pulling this kind of crap on you now, it will only get worse. Just an example, but you're going to get told because you don't have kids of your own, you have no idea what it's like - you're going to be the one who's always wrong, because you intentionally don't want to get along with the kids; no matter how hard you try to be a good SM, you're always going to get the blame from both DH and Skids that their problems are your fault. Like sarah advised, please read the blogs, the forums and all of the posts very throughly before you jump off the deep end. Good luck to you, whatever you choose to do.

Stepmom_C's picture

Three years ago I married my husband when I was 33. I'd never been married before but have a daughter (now 15) and DH has two daughters (now 11 and 7). We have custody of all the kids. My DH had gotten a vasectomy also but I made it known I wanted to try and have one child together. For me this was a deal breaker - if the reversal didn't work then that was fine but we had to at least try.

As I type this I am almost five months pregnant with my miracle baby son! I do think the stats on reversals are better than what you think. Research this one really well - I've got some sites for you if you'd like.

As for marriage - the hardest thing for me was the Ex wife went crazy. It took about two years for things to calm down. My SD's were not well behaved either but my DH did support me. THIS IS KEY - house rules and DH support. He must put you first and not pick his kids over you. How is the Exwife in your situation? Only you can answer if this road is one you want to go down. It takes more than love but it can be done. Your life won't be easy but only you can determine if it's worth it.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU Smile

summer76's picture

Thanks for the hope the stepmom_C it's good to hear some positive stories like this and I would love to check out those websites.

Fortunately for me, his ex married the man she had an affair with and that puts alot of distance between her and DF (Dear Fiance). If she didn't get married, I think she would be really needy and imposing on our lives. There is a little bit of dramma there sometimes but I try and keep a clear head about it and stay as removed from it as possible since it's out of my control.

I truly believe DF always puts me first, if he didn't I think I would have bailed fromt this relationship along time ago.

Colorado Girl's picture

...but I am in just a romanticized mind set right now.

My advice? What will be will be.

Is this man the love of your life? Do you still get butterflies when he walks in a room? Is his crooked smile a cure all for those angry moments? Do his compliments still make you giggle like a school girl? (Like I said...please forgive the attitude I presently have...this too shall pass)

If you answer yes...marry him. Marry him and endure the bad that comes with the good. Leave the rest to fate. If you have a 60% chance to conceive, your odds are still good. Like my girl Stepmom_C... If it's meant to be, it will be.

How heart broken would you be if you lost him because you were being so reasonable?

Marry him and start your fairytale. Wink

"For every ailment under the sun....There is a remedy, or there is none;
If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it." ~ W.W. Bartley

summer76's picture

Thanks for not thinking I'm crazy for following my heart and yes, I feel that he is the love of my life and the love buzz is still ever present. Thanks for the post : )