You are here

SS Very Disturbing behavior

steppinout's picture

I just need some opinions. My ss who is 7 has --

1. Thrown frogs into a fire and laughed about it.
2. Hurt our dogs when no one is looking.
3. Has hurt my 4-year-old nephew on several occasions.
4. Tried to convince my nephew to kill frogs with rocks. (This was a year after the fire incident.)

When caught and confronted, he will pretend to be sorry and have remorse, but to me it is obvious that he does not. DH, in my opinion, does not take his behavior seriously enough.

Aeron's picture

Um, does he wet the bed too? Just asking, because he's already got two of the three major indicators of sociopathy in a child... My opinion - get the kid in therapy fast. Hurting and killing animals, much less other children, is serious and an indicator that there is something pretty major wrong. If your DH isn't whisking this kid to a therapist pronto, then I would agree that he's not taking the behavior seriously enough. And I would keep your nephew far far away from this kid.

Oi Vey's picture

Um, sick. Serious psychiatrist time. (They can prescribe meds.)

alwaysanxious's picture

There are no meds if this is psychopathy.

SS should be evaluated by a professional to see what is really going on here.

liks's picture

Do you or have you lived in Queensland Australia? Why I ask, there is the cane toad problem going on their and the cane toads seep a poison that will kill domestic cats dogs etc if accidently eaten....the toads are out of control and a lot of kids are taught to kill all cane toads if they sight them....

but apart from that the latest Australian study has direct links between hardened criminals and cruelty to animals when the criminals were young.

It doesnt mean all kids that are cruel to animals will end up in jail from horrendous crimes, but why take the chance...

Forget DH's usual male head in the bucket of sand attitude....you will be affected too if your ss ends up raping or killing some young girl or is associated with any other crime ending in a jail term....

Get the poor little kid some help now...save his life before its too late.....here is a link for you to read further....

http://www.peta.org/issues/Companion-Animals/animal-abuse-and-human-abus...

ell's picture

okay, first, boys are far more likely to experiment with their curiosities in death. they are wired that way...my husband used to hide carcasses in his closet as a child and watch them decompose. did i say too much? probably. you do need to seek the advice of a professional, however, as it could be something more serious. yeah, if he shows no remorse, it's a sign of illness, but, if he doesn't yet grasp the concept of death, it could just be because he doesn't get what the big deal is about frying a frog. we roast hot dogs on the grill and have a pretty decent time, right? ever watched a PETA video? those guys aren't psychopaths, they're just lonely. anyway, please don't let people frighten you into believing he is dexter, lol. it's best to talk to the professionals so they can observe his behaviors. they know what to look for beyond the descriptions in google. they'll pick up the patterns if they exist. i've been through this already in my home. he he, dexter.

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

Did your husband kill whatever was decomposing in his closet? I can understand curiosity with death, but coming along after the fact and making it happen are two different things.

ell's picture

well, no, he found the body. lol, this is too funny for me writing this as i watch him sitting on the couch right now with his bag of oreos and milk mustache, watching star trek reruns...lol...he's not a nut. but he did blow away all his mothers yellow finches from the bird feeder when he got his first bb gun. and i witnessed a seemingly non sociopathic grown man burn ants with lighter fluid on his patio. i admit my husband killed birds, so did my brother, and my horrible little boy neighbors...the kids in our neighborhood from last year who were kidnapping all the bugs in illinois so they could feed them to bigger bugs. my daughter gets mad at me, and smashes bugs cause it hurts my feelings. kids do stupid stuff. i guess my point is that there are normal people who do stupid things, and a myriad of illnesses this could be...but we probably shouldn't diagnose other people's children? yeah, i think that's what i'm getting at here. man, i don't really know anymore, i'm tired and i'm kinda getting scared of my hubby a little. cue x files music... Smile

LOL...if your DH only knew what you were talking about! Personally, I can't even kill bugs. I have EXTREME sensitivity to animal issues and HATE the abuse. I get that kids do stuff like that, but the frog thing seems more like torture. Maybe it's the method of killing. You're right though, diagnosing anybody here is dangerous. I always suggest seeing a therapist. I think everybody needs to anyway! LOL Sorry about the whole x files/hubby thing. He's probably ok. You might want to go check your closets though! Blum 3

ell's picture

bahaha, my husband just told me another story...he said "do you know how many crickets i sent to outer space on bottle rocket?!...and the fun didn't really even start until i found out a way to bring em back down on little parachutes." i don't mean to poke too much fun, i just think we shouldn't jump to conclusions so much. kids are just wierd because their brains aren't developed.

LOL...seriously, check the closets!! I totally understand what you're saying. It's definitely something to get checked, but let's not jump to the poor kid sitting on death row for being a serial killer.

ell's picture

lol, there's little room in the closets for a body. oh, man. i just about peed my pants laughing at our posting. the little box on the left of our screens titles are about bodies. Blum 3