You are here

SS admitted to hospital

NYStep30's picture

I had posted recently about the problems we've been having with SS12. Things have been on a downward spiral. He's been VERY aggressive at school and recently made comments about being dead. Yesterday, we were told to take him in for an evaluation at a children's psychiatric hospital today. He was admitted. Part f me is glad he will get help, and part of me felt awful leaving him there. I'm a the end of my roe with the situation, but he's still just a kid. He didn't mind staying. He almost seemed excited, which I found odd. My MIL is carrying on saying that she can't believe we left him there. We didn't have a choice. If we didn't follow te psychiatrst's advice, she would've called CPS. And, they clearly thought he needed to be admitted. I think they thought he should've been there a long time ago. I guess I just need some support that we dd the right thing. BM doesn't know yet, and she's gonna freak. I told DH to call her, and he still hasn't. Where do we go from here? Has anyone else been down ths road?

oldone's picture

He really needs to let BM know. Unless she has had all rights to him surrendered she needs to know.

BM did not notify DH when SS36 was terminally ill, nor when he died out of state.

NYStep30's picture

I spoke with him last night and ths morning. I'm visiting him this afternoon. I'm optimistic that this can help him nd our family as a whole.

NYStep30's picture

Thank you for your support. He is happy to be there. I don't think he even realizes it's a hospital. They have a lot of kid friendly activities. I am hesitant to speak up because I don't want to piss off DH. But, I can't be the only one helping him anymore. I'm hoping this will be a catalyst for change.

OptimisticMe's picture

We had to admit my SD for running away and being a danger to herself. She was ticked at first but then licked it because she got to hang with "the bad kids". She was required to stay for just over one week. She then used it as a badge of honor and also to make herself out to be a victim...whichever personality she decided to play at any given time. I was so optimistic, family counseling went great and the kid that hated me when she went in (she blamed me for her mom abandoning her) said she loved her relationship with me before she left to come home. I was so happy. However, what I didn't know at the time was that SD was sick of being there and magically "changed" and pretended they got through to her simply because she wanted to leave and knew that was the only way. Within a week and a half she was back to hating me and so unbearable she will NEVER be allowed to live with me or my kids EVER again!

I think his mom needs to be told unless she is a dead beat with no rights. I hope your SS improves and life improves for you.

Starla's picture

We had my SD admitted at 12 and she had fun being there, she was there for a week. A little advice for you that we wish doctors warned us on..watch your back if your SS is placed on anti anxiety medication. My SD seemed much better being on it then she attacked out of the blue when we were getting along working together. We believe that the anti anxiety medication enabled her from holding back from attacking. Whatever medication your SS is placed on, I personally would do some research on it and keep a close eye on him until you know how the medication affects him.

I hope things work out and wish you the best. Smile

NYStep30's picture

Funny you should say that, because he also really likes it there. Weird! They put him on Lithium. He was previously very aggressive with my DD's, so I appreciate your advice. I'm crossing my fingers fr a miracle here!