You are here

Signs of emotional Distress or just Normal development???

ConcernedAunt1's picture

I’m a stepmom BUT this is Regarding my sisters son Tom. “Tom” is 13 and has a older brother “ Larry” of 16. When Larry was 13 same age as Tom is now he got into some trouble with the law which resulted in a huge fight with his dad and his dad threw Larry out of his house Permanently.  Larry has lived full time with his mom my sister for the last three years and has had zero contact with his dad. My sister and her ex husband had joint Custody of both kids up in till three years ago when this happened. Since her husband refused to have contact with the older son the judge was Disgusted and gave full custody to my sister for both kids. Her ex has Visatation rights with both kids BUT only wants to see Tom. 

Here is my question...Tom who is 13 gets to see his dad about 40 percent of the time. Every time his dad picks him up and drops him off Tom gives him a LONG hug. Recently her ex had to work late and my sister picked Tom up at school instead of his dad. Tom did not know this and had a meltdown in the school parklot because he was not going to see his dad for just one evening visit. Every year the ex husband goes away for a week for work and every year Tom breaks down crying that he won’t see his dad for a week. This year Tom made his dad call him every other day when he was gone.  Now my sister is starting to feel bad as she just went away for a week on vacation and Tom was Thrilled because he got to spend the whole week with his dad and never called her once. If my sister can’t pick Tom up at school he could care less. 

Now do you think Tom is getting like this because of what happened to his brother around the same age he is now? Could he be thinking is dad going to get rid of me too and it’s making him Insecure about his dad? Or is it just normal for boys his age to be like this with dad? 

Rags's picture

Though inappropriately dramatic in his tantrums, Tom missing his dad is not an unusual thing for a 13yo boy.

My dad had several field assignments when I was 12-14 and was gone for a number of months during each assignment.  I missed him terribly.  It was extremely difficult for me on portions of each of his field assignments.  I did not act out as Tom is but... it was difficult and I missed him terribly.

I think dad needs to address the inappropriate outbursts by Tom directly with Tom and for mom and dad to sync on how to deal collectively with Tom's issues.

Harry's picture

This kid needs help Larry. You don't throw your kid out of the house unless he a did something that SM can not have this kid in her home.  This hold family needs professional help. To try to be a loving family. 

ConcernedAunt1's picture

Larry is a hard kid to love, got involved in drugs and said some nasty things to his dad BUT he was only 13 at the time. I as a mom can’t Imagine anything my child could do at 13 that would make me never want to see them again. The sad thing is Larry is really hurting over this. He won’t show it as he wants to play the Tough guy but deep down he’s Devastated over the loss of his dad. My sister has tried to get Larry to send Father’s Day cards but Larry refuses. Tom will come home from his dads house telling of the wonderful things he got for Christmas from his dad or the fun things they did and you can see the hurt in Larry’s eyes. My sister reached out to her ex to try and get Larry and him in Therapy to resolve their differences. Larry was all for it but her ex never got back to her or pushed it off so finally she just gave up trying to fix their relationship. Very sad. This being said I can’t help but think Even though her ex is very good with Tom RIGHT NOW Tom In the back of his mind he’s thinking when will it be my turn to get booted out of the house and never see dad again