You are here

SD12 still sits on DH's lap

OptimisticMe's picture

Is this normal? Is it normal for a 12 year old girl to still sit on her dad's lap? I wasn't incredibly close to my dad, so I don't know the norm.

My SD only sits on her dad's lap to try to irritate me. Like if I make her get out of the chair I was sitting in beside her dad...she will then sit on his lap...as if to say "haha take that, I am still closer to him than you".

GoodbyeNormaJean's picture

No, she's a bit old for that. I have a SD9 and a DD8, and neither one of them sit in DH's lap. My 12 year old son would be burned alive before he would sit in my lap, and I'd be the first to tell him to get the hell off me.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

Honestly, it's only as okay as you would allow it. My parents didn't.

When I was about 8, my mom started the whole, you're a big girl now, there is a certain amount of self-respect and boundaries that will be starting between you and your dad and you and your grandpas. You should close your doors while changing, no more jumping on them, etc.

My parent's aren't divorced but to prevent any issues from arising, this one one of the things we were taught (I have a younger sister as well.)

But I have a friend who is a child of divorce, and she makes her dad go shopping for tampons and bras and pads. She's 23 and she still does it.

BSgoinon's picture

I am 33, I still sit in my mom's lap (jokingly, but I do) but I stopped sitting in my dads lap around age 10. Its just creepy.

PeanutandSons's picture

My sd9 doesn't do that, but I'm sure if Dh would allow it, she be all over him.

She hangs on him constantly, if he sitting she will drapes herself over his shoulders, and she is obsessive about holding his hand at all times if we are out of the house. And I mean, she almost goes into a panic if he takes his hand back..... Prancing around, reaching up trying to get his hand back, shadowing his every move about 1 inch behind him

So if he would allow her in his lap, I am sure it'd be the only seat shed ever sit in..

When my ss10's mom and brothers came to see him a few months ago (first time in years) SS tried sitting in his 17 yr old brothers lap. I gave him a "what the fuck are you doing" look, and he slid to the seat next to him. I think its a problem with insecure, immature kids. I know I had absolutely no desire to be hanging or or sitting on either of.my parents at that age.

Sweetnothings's picture

No, 12 is a bit old for that !!! My sd21 did this until about 13 though. Especially, if I was taking photos, she would suddenly be almost in his lap if she could !! Always had to remind her to SMILE as she was giving me daggers and scowling at me !!! I didn't care, DH just ended up with a lot of photos with sd in this pose !!! LOL !!

oncechoosetosmile's picture

Problem- SD pretends to be DHs wife.Its meant to show you she is closer to him than you.DH needs to tell her to get lost.

TheBrightSide's picture

Not normal at 12, unless you're somewhere where there is no extra seating, and the alternative is to sit on the floor.

I cuddle with my SD11 more than my husband does and they are SUPER CLOSE.

I think in that respect, we're "normal". SD isn't overly touchy feely with DH, and appropriately touchy feely with me. i.e.: I love to smooch her cheeks sometimes...and I often ask her, out of the blue, for nice hugs.

More often than not, she'll sit right next to me on the couch, rather than with DH.

(hmmm...this is a nice post for me...must be one of my good days).