You are here

SD 16's graduation. Not invited

Beatrice Audrey's picture

I am facing a very hurtful situation. SD announced while we were having dinner the other night (for DH's birthday dinner, that I had cooked with a lot of love and care), that her dad had to send her 65$ for the the graduation tickets. And he said. Perfect, you'll have one for me and my wife in there, right ? And then she said. Well that's the thing, she won't be coming. I was so mad and hurt, honestly, that I just went upstairs in my room and cried. I heard DH talk to his daughter while I was in there. She was saying: well I'm not just going to invite anybody to my graduation. I won't be inviting the neighbors, or my second cousin, why would she come ? And my husband raised his voice saying I am his wife and she is to respect me. She just said she didn't care and that she didn't want me there. I then came down and I told her exactly what was on my mind. That it was hurtful and disrespectful of her to not even care to invite me. after all I do for her (I do a lot, since my husband has a big job and isn't home much), she just cried and told me I was hurting her feelings... honeslty she was just playing the victim. I was talking pretty calmy according to the situation and to how I felt. I am just so tired to feel left out. I don't have any kids of my own and I won't be able to have any, so this family is pretty much the only one I'll ever have and I thought we were getting along so well and that was just basically a slap in the face saying I really am not part of that family. It hurts a lot. Since then, she told her father that I swore at her and that I called her a b****, which I absolutely would NEVER do. She is also ignoring me. I just don't know what to do and how to feel better. Like honestly. the night of that graduation, my husband will be sitting at a table with his 2 children and his ex wife, who I know still wants him back, playing the perfect little happy family, while I am alone, like I don't exist. I feel helpless and alone in all of this and I don't know what to do.

ESMOD's picture

Do you think it could have anything to do with making her mom uncomfortable if she were to include you?  Have you had other issues between you?  from other blogs it sounded like you had a decent relationship.. but sometimes people fall prey to pressure from others to do things.. like not invite you.. even if she would be inclined. 

we honestly have a good relationship (me and the SD), I often bring her on girl nights, to do some shopping or go to her favorite restaurant just the 2 of us to chat together. I thought I had passed her "test"

Leilene's picture

Your womanhood and experience as a wife should be about more than passing the tests of your husband's baggage. This is the ultimate smack in the face. For her to rule you as an outsider after all you've done is cruel and disgusting. Let the bitch's mother be responsible for her emotions and disengage otherwise you are officially her doormat. 

tog redux's picture

The thing is - you can't make her like you or see you as family; all you can do is stop doing so much for her when it's unappreciated. It's not uncommon for people to have high expectations of what being a stepparent will be like - and have those dashed by reality.

Be glad your DH stood up for you - and if you trust him then don't worry about him sitting with BM. But going forward, stop trying to be anything other than "Dad's wife", pleasant to her, but that's it. 

Aunt Agatha's picture

If so, why didn't he get one for you?  Otherwise, he should refuse paying for anything but his ticket.

But agree with everyone - disengage.  As you are I the neighbor category, you are off the hook for anything at all for this ungrateful brat.

he did pay for his own ticket, because she organized it so that there wouldn't be a spot left for me. She even invited her friend's mom (whom she isn't even really close to), so DH just bought one ticket for himself

ldvilen's picture

This is one of those rare instances that I don't think DH should go.  There is just too much manipulation going on behind the scenes here, that both BM and her daughter are a part of.  DH seems to know this or sense this, but plans on going anyway?  What kind of message is thst sending. . . yeah, keep treating my wife like the invisible woman, and I'll just shake my finger at so-and-so a couple of times, but put up with it anyway.

If he really had your back, he'd simply not attend.  Now THAT would send the message to them to knock it off or else.  Sure, I know SD is only 16, but she is old enough to know and understand what you've done for her and that you are dad's wife, and that dad's wife means his wife is paired with dad and not his ex-wife.  I'd bet you a billion dollars, easily too, that if mom were married or had a SO, he'd be the 1st one to get a ticket. 

Anyway, if DH wants to let it go this time because his child is 16, maybe OK?  I don't think he really should.  He really should not be letting his ex- nor any of his children get away with this type of exclusionary crap.  Dad's wife doesn't mean you can just pretend she doesn't exist.  Dad's wife means she is dad's wife and thus would (just like I'm 100% sure would be done for mommy and her new man, if she had one) attend events, family events with dad by her side, as his wife.  

Otherwise, I'd seriously think about totally disengaging.  No cooking, cleaning, etc. for her.  None of that.  Dad has to do it all, especially since he is reluctant to truly put his foot down.  You are not the family servant, to serve them at their will and get a tongue stuck out at you in return.  Continually doing for others and expecting some gratitude in return vs. a kick in the butta is NOT a high expectation.  And, by the way, if dad keeps giving in, whatever you do, don't go to SD's wedding.  It'll be a true hell for you.  My SD's wedding was a hell for both me and my husband.  So much so, that neither of us attended SS's wedding.  One of the best decisions we ever made.

Being treated as dad's wife doesn't mean that you have to sit back and take whatever you are dished up by antagonistic family members.  You get to make all of the decisions togehter with your husband that every other husband and wife gets to make, and yes, that sometimes includes issues regarding his children, when they are in your joint home.  Your DH is 50:50 parent to mom.  Nonetheless, mom and dad are parents.  You and your husband are husband and wife.  Mom and dad get to parent.  Everything else, you and your DH get to work out, and neither you nor your DH should ever let BM or one of the SKs take your place as his wife/ SO.  He needs to treat you like a wife and his children like children and his ex- like an ex-.

Rumplestiltskin's picture

That is so hurtful. I don't know what type of graduation it is, or what the customs are like where you live, but where i live there aren't tables and people can invite as many people as they want. I agree that you should just write her off until/unless she somehow apologizes, means it, and tries to make it right. Age 16 is old enough to be a decent fricking human being, and she is not being one. Your DH must feel so ashamed and torn about whether to go without you. 

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Call the school to find out if it's possible to get a ticket some other way. If there is, drop that little truth bomb on your H.

I don't think your H should go. His daughter is being a complete sh!t about this, especially since she invited a friend's mom but not you. This girl needs to be taught that there's a right way and a wrong way to do most things, and she has just pooped the bed by inviting only half of a married couple to her graduation. Bad behavior should not be rewarded, and letting his daughter get away with this is will only empower her to treaat you poorly again in the future.

I vote that your H tell his kid that if you don't go he doesn't go, and that means no gifts, either.

sandye21's picture

'I vote that your H tell his kid that if you don't go he doesn't go, and that means no gifts, either."  Maybe this would deliver a message to BM too.

Did DH believe her lies about you?  You are at the cusp of an 'understanding' or disengagement.  This is the perfect moment for DH to insist she respect you as his wife or there will be consequences.  This puts the ball in her court.  If she chooses to stop her B. S. now life will go back to normal.  If not, you can disengage.  Her loss.

Delilah's picture

Thats incredibly disrespectful of her  to not invite you but also how that message was delivered, along with the big dollop of manure on top, the fabricated name calling.

While i am sure her mother engineered this, sd's behaviour is cruel and spiteful, and i hope your husband is disgusted with her and her antics. What exactly is he doing to 1) punish her for lying about you 2) pointing out the hypocrisy about her comments of not inviting "just anybody" yet her mom's friend merits an invite over you? 4) her deliberate cruelty towards you 3) rerouting any "responsibilities" you may be undertaking regarding sd? 

Imo while its admiral that dh confronted her, this situation is a perfect learning opportunity for sd, where there are physical consequences for HER actions. Most importantly your graceful disengagement from her- no more favours, girls days. I would not be alone with her-after all you are no one to her. I would also hope your dh is disciplining her i.e. no showy graduation gift, no after ceremony "family dinner". He should not be rewarding this either monetarily nor with his presence post grad ceremony.

the only thing he did is that he told her that from now on she should take the bus to go to and from her activities. Honestly, it is big BS. She should be punished more than that. But I am not going to do anything for her anymore and that is it

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Why will your DH be sitting at a table with BM? He should attend the graduation, which usually involves sitting in rows of seats or even bleachers, but he should not attend any dinners or events that would involve him sitting at a table with BM. He can take SD to dinner separately, there is no reason to do anything with BM, especially since she has indicated she would like to get back with him.

where we live, there is the graduation ceremony and a dinner. It is a whole event

Swim_Mom's picture

I guess compared to some of the stories here, the fact he said anything at all is commendable, but it isn't enough. In my opinion if she is acting like such a brat, he should not go. I know that sounds extreme, but what is this a high school graduation? Not that big of a deal; she is not graduating from Medical school or anything here. And I agree to disengage. Don't do a damn thing for her.

RAJ C's picture

DH should tell SD that he won't attend any of the events that your are not invited to (it may be that you do not want to go but you should be invited), and that in order for him to attend after the crap SD pulled she needs to convince you to attend.

Of course DH won't do that as that will upset SD short run but will teach her a lesson in the long run that will be extremely good for the family.

Steptotheright's picture

What a evil thing to do. And such evil words to say. I'm guessing since you're the one that had problems with BM being at all these events and what not, that you have said something to DH about that, and he in turn, has said something to BM about it. And now she resents you even more.

So BM is in full poison the steps against you mode. Also the girl dates and all those conversations you had with SD could have been her just gathering information and for filling out a profile on an opponent. It could have all been fake. Reconnaissance for BM.

Sad but also unfortunately possibly true

Thisisnotus's picture

Your DH should absolutely NOT attend. 

I put up with a LOT of shit from my DH but I would not stand for this. 

On the flip side I wouldn’t be sitting at dinner with dh and Bm and kids....ever. And he would not be sitting with Bm and kids at dinner.....his bags would be packed when he got home.

Leilene's picture

Since she feels you are akin to "just anyone" like a neighbor or distant cousin, act accordingly from here on out. Do not give her the benefits and privileges a daughter would receive from a mother if she's going to cast you away at any given moment. Disengage completely and let it be known that she is not your child, you did not birth her, and you do not have a biological link for her. Meaning she can't trample all over your feelings and still experience unconditional  love from you. From here on out, treat her with the distant cordialness a neighbor or distant cousin would have for her. 

SM12's picture

Try to look at the positives in the situation. Now

yku know that nothing you do will be good enough for SD.  That is a very freeing and valuable lesson.   So stop doing for her.  Disengage and pretend she no longer exists.   No more shopping trips or girls day outs.  No birthday presents and certainly no graduation present.   

Plan a nice weekend get away to somewhere you have always wanted to visit.  Make sure you are taking that time for yourself and no one else.  Spoil yourself and enjoy it.   Your DH can go alone. 

But stop letting this child control your happiness.   Im sorry you don’t have children but SD will

never be yours.   Let that dream go and look forward to all the free time you will have to do what you want now that SD is no longer a priority.  

Rags's picture

If DH goes after that little Hag pulled this crap and disrespected his wife, his key should not work when he gets back from the manipulative hurtful little shits graduation.

CLove's picture

There are a lot of issues youve been experiencing and this one is most horrid.

YOUR DH should refuse to go without you. Period. Thats what MY DH did. He was presented with tix for himself, and told that there werent extra tix, yet cousin #1 and #2 had tix, Auntie #1 and #2 had tix. He flat out refused to go if I were not presented with a tix of my own. Aunties offered their tic. DH refused.

Next day I was presented with a tic. She stood in a line. Bam.

Your SD is testing waters and this is a hard line no, in my book. Esp with the lies and accusations. If that was happening, my DH would not continue supporting SD in her activities and at 18 she is off the daddee gravy train.

If you and DH allow this, it will continue and get worse.

Sandybeaches's picture

Your husband should not go.  There is no reason why you should not be invited and also why he would sit at a table with BM especially under the circumstances of their relationship that you have described.  He should never sit with them and leave you home I don't care what the function is.  

At the very least if he attended, it should be for the graduation only no dinner after.  This step-daughter is doing this for  BM who wants him back.  I know this scenario all to well.  My step-daughter still tries to pull that crap with my husband.  My husband doesn't go.  And he would never attend without me.  

I am sorry you are going through this.  It is very hurtful.  I would certainly not be friendly to her in the future.  I would be civil if she was around the house but I wouldn't be going out of my way for her and cooking her anything.  When she came over I would leave that all to your husband and make plans for the evening when she is around and and go out.  Speak to her and leave.  

Livingoutloud's picture

I know for a fact that my DH would not go where I am invited. He is finally happliy married and he'd never jeopardize our marriage and risk to lose me. It's sad your DH is going to go 

Livingoutloud's picture

I know for a fact that my DH would not go where I am not invited. He is finally happliy married and he'd never jeopardize our marriage and risk to lose me. It's sad your DH is going to go 

Pokeyketchum's picture

I was not invited to SD’s graduation.  My DH went.  He was on the fence; however, I knew if he did not go, the relationship with his daughter might be broken irreparably.  (A lot of PAS).  He went, said congratulations and was done.  It was difficult to sit at home and know all this was happening.  But we all managed.

Today, this was over four years ago, things are professionally distant between SD and I, which is also manageable.  

Step life is difficult and events such as graduations and marriages high light the challenges.  Incidentally, the same SD is about to be engaged.

ndc's picture

Your DH is not standing up for you nearly enough. If you are intentionally and hatefully excluded, he should decline to attend. If he doesn't support you now, with a graduation, what will it be like when it's something big, like a wedding?  My suspicion is that your H is either a big giant wimp or he isn't fully over the BM who wants him back and will now be sitting with him at the graduation - without you, his wife, anywhere to be found.

I also get the sense that your H thinks because he's older he gets more of a say in how things will be. I might be wrong, but if there's some of that going on, remember that marriage should be a partnership of equals and your wants and feelings need to be taken into account more than they are currently. Stand up for yourself!

I totally agree with you. And I am angry at the fact that he's going to go no matter if I am invited or not. But everytime I try to talk about now (it's been a couple of days since the incident happenend), he gets mad and says that it's no big deal and that I should just get over it. He doesn't seem to understand that for me, it wasn't the event itself I wanted to attend, but the symbol of it meaning I was a part of the family, not just an intruder. He's going to dinner alone with his daughter tonight and she is still telling him I was mean to her by text, which I wasn't. It stresses me out, because I am scared he'll take his daughter's side even though she's wrong and I wasn't mean to her. 

ldvilen's picture

I'm sorry, but if you re-read your comment, you'll see that it comes across as his daughter is his wife and you are the daughter.  You: "He gets made and says that it's no big deal and that I should just get over it. . . "  This is not something you'd ordinarily say to a wife.  It is something you'd more so say to a child.  You: "He's going to dinner alone with his daughter tonight and she is still telling him I was mean. . . I'm scared he'll take his daughter's side even though she's wrong and I wasn't mean to her."

What!?  That is how he should be treating you, his wife, as in, "He's going to dinner with me tonight and we are going to discuss this situation with his daughter, and BM.  My husband knows I'm never mean."  Your DH minimizing your feelings and your role is just wrong, wrong, wrong.  Unfortunately, I’ll agree that it is not all that uncommon for role perversions to take place in step-situations.  BMs wind up being treated like the biblical primary wife; children (especially daughters) wind up being treated like mini-wives, who are given the shadow-of-a-doubt and priority over the true wife (SM); and SMs are treated more like children and are scolded every time they try to speak up for themselves.

My DH threw me under the bus just once in reference to, let’s say, accidentally-on-purpose joining in with other family members to gang up on me, and when we got home, I read him the riot act big time.  I didn't hold back at all.  He apologized, but, yeah, to me he had the attitude it was not that big of a deal.  A couple of weeks later, I found myself in a shrink's office, crying, and filling out forms and looking at counselors who were also experienced in marriage counseling.  I knew I'd start with me, but I also knew if DH couldn't comprehend how PO'd I was and why, I was going to be insisting he go into counseling with me.

Thank God I got a good counselor, one who completely understood how displaced and treated like a piss-ant by my own husband I felt.  She told me flat out that what occurred at that event was disgusting and something she had never heard of.  I was very lucky to find her, because not every SM finds someone who "gets it" right off the bat.  After several sessions with her and getting my DH to join me at home in some, for lack of a better word, bonding exercises, I felt I had enough validation and better working balls to just call it or say it like it is next time and never, ever just sit back and take being treated that way again.  My DH was almost as equally Shanghaied as I was, yet I still innately, in the core of my heart knew, it was up to him to be there for me, defend me.  Well, he didn't, and he now knows if something similar ever happens again, I'm gone.  I'm not settling for sloppy seconds.  No way.  I was bullied in high school, and there is no way I am putting up with that shiatsu again, especially from my own husband.  

Anyway, you may need to see a counselor, if anything for yourself, to get more validation and learn that in step-world, if you don't just come out and tell people to F-off (maybe not literally, but figuratively), you'll often find yourself at the bottom of everyone's list, including your own DH's.  My only caveat is that you keep looking for the right counselor.  If any counselor ever says to you, "You should have known what you were getting into when you married a man with kids.”  That's a sign to move on.  A good counselor would be telling you a lot of the same things we are telling you here.  That is what you need to look for.  Best of luck!