You are here

Question about PAS

stormabruin's picture

I went to the library yesterday and picked up a copy of Divorce Poison. I've seen it recommended on here by several people. DH and I got to talking about PAS yesterday...just what I've read about it so far. Currently he has supervised visitation only, and has not seen his kids since his son's 16th birthday party in July. We were not invited to his daughter's 13th birthday in September due to (this coming from his ex) his daughter being upset by the fact that we were getting married in September and BM wasn't invited. His daughter hasn't spoken to him since the party in July, and really hasn't had any contact with him in several years aside from birthday parties.

Anyway, I've found that when I can get DH to talk about his feelings and thoughts i regards to his kids and the situation he's in with them, he seems to hold SS16 accountable for what has happened in court...things that have been said, etc. He doesn't do this so much with SD13...I think because she hasn't played an active roll in the lying and manipulating. She more or less just goes along with whatever BM and SS16 do and say. I feel like PAS has played a serious role in the breakdown of the relationships DH has with his kids. I was wondering, being that BM and her mother have been the primary cause of the alienation between DH and his kids, is there ever a point where responsibility for the child's actions/attitude toward their father should fall on the child, or does that fault stay with BM and her mother?

DH seems to be angry with his son, and I guess I feel like that's misplaced anger. I think he feels more hurt by his son than BM because we would expect her to be vile and sneaky. I think it feels like more of a sucker punch coming from his son. Granted his son was the one who spoke with the judge and made some of the false statements, but I truly feel his statements were guided by BM.

I worry about any kind of future relationship being hindered (more than it already has been) by the anger and resentment DH is feeling toward SS16. I do feel like at some point every individual has to start accepting responsibility for their choices and actions, but I have a hard time placing that on these kids, being that they were so young when it all started. I realize placing blame isn't going to fix any of the problems at hand, but I do think it can help us in trying to heal and accept what's happening so that we can move forward with our lives. Of course, we will never give up on his kids. I just feel like we've reached a point where it's out of our control. In reading through this book, I hope to find some ideas to help us regain contact with them and ideally redevelop relationships, but I think at this point that is several years into the future, when they are living their lives for themselves, rather than living their lives to please BM.

My hope is that once SKIDS are out from under BM, they will realize that DH isn't the man BM has made him out to be. They have been told so many crazy things for so many years, I'm not sure that they'll ever be able to distinguish fact from fiction. They swear up and down that they have witnessed things that never happened. I truly feel for them and hate to think about the confusion they'll face as they get older and begin looking for real answers.

I feel like I'm rambling. I apologize for anything repetetive. There's so much to the situation and I'm trying to give 8 years of history in short form. :?

I would love any information or advice from anyone who has experienced PAS in their family.

stormabruin's picture

One more question...

I have read in a couple of articles that for the children who are victims of PAS, it's like they suffer an emotional "death" as the relationship with the parent they were once close to "dies". I wonder, do they go through some sort of grieving period when they are experiencing this as they would if someone truly passed away, or is the grieving period simply the years of their life they spend angry and confused?

stormabruin's picture

DH raised his kids for 4 years with no support of any kind from BM. She left them 4 times before the youngest child was 4. She showed up one day and of course, while angry with her, they were thrilled to have their mother back. From that point on, they do everything to please her, I assume for fear if they don't she'll leave again, and she gives them everything they want to keep them from being angry with her. For the 8 years I've known him, DH has maintained the position that he is the parent, and he will discipline when necessary. BM has convinced SS16 that when DH disciplines, it is a sign of disrespect. Anytime DH disagrees with SS16, it means DH thinks SS16 is stupid. She has SD13 believing that because she was a thin child at 6 years old it was because DH didn't feed her. SS16 won't take Advil for a headache when he's with DH because he's been made to believe he can't trust him, or DH doesn't know what he's doing. It all just seems so crazy. He took care of them on his own for 4 years while she was running around living her life she didn't get to live because she chose to have kids in her early 20's. BM told them that DH took her childhood away when he got her pregnant and married her. Of course, she comes out to be the victim in EVERY situation. I have my moments where I get so angry about what's happened, but I think I've gotten past that point for the most part. I've accepted the fact that she clearly has issues. Her mother raised her with the same issues. Now I'm just trying to understand and cope with it the best I can.

When I get upset or consumed by it, DH's take on it is "Just don't think about it. Just try to think about something else." I don't feel like that's the solution. He's been to enough counselors with her leaving and single parenting and co-parenting, I feel like deep down he knows that's not the answer, but it's painful for him to focus on. I can understand that, but I don't think he/we will be able to heal from this and move forward with that being his solution.

I've been told by several people that I'm getting too involved in the situation because they're not my children. I do understand that. I know they have a mother and a father, but it still affects me. I don't have children of my own. When we met, because they didn't have a mother, I was their mother figure. I went from no children to having a 5 year-old and an 8 year-old for 3 years, and then pretty much overnight went back to having no children. We're really struggling with moving forward with this empty hole. Extra-curricular activities can't fill that void.

I keep telling myself (and DH) that as they get older and experience life themselves they'll come to feel that void as well, and they'll eventually wish for a relationship with him. Maybe it'll take experiencing children and divorce themselves to understand his position. Not that I wish his situation on them, but given what they've grown up believing to be normal in a relationship, it's what I imagine for them. BM grew up without her BF and now has a relationship with him. She has a good relationship with both of her step-fathers. I'm hoping her kids will take notice of that and see that it's okay for them to have a relationship with me as a step-parent and that they'll see that even though they're growing up without their dad in their lives, even as adults, it's not too late to get to know their dad again.

MarriedwithChild's picture

I'm sorry...I am going through the same motions as yourself and searching for help.

My ss5 (thanks to his mom) went from loving me like a mom to not even telliing me a basic, "hello."

It stings. So sorry. Sad

stormabruin's picture

I think the fact that before BM came back into the picture, I did have a stable loving relationship with SD. SS was never thrilled about me being around and was very jealous. We have since worked through that and did develop...not a great, but decent relationship. It's all gone now. I did see that on FB SD has a picture folder set up with 1 picture of BM in it. The folder is labeled "(SM) sucks and Daddy too LOL!" and her caption under the picture says "This is my one and only mommy i luv her she is my world and daddy sucks with (SM) haha".

I first noticed an uncomfortable change in my relationship with her at SS's basketball game. She wouldn't speak to me or DH until after the game when BM was away talking to the coach. She came over and initiated a hug with both of us, and as soon as she saw BM coming toward us she quickly backed away, like she was afraid BM would see her hugging me. The couple of times we see them each year (at birthday parties) I'm not sure how to act with her. I want to hug her and talk to her, but I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable.

It does sting. I am sorry for your situation as well.

stormabruin's picture

I don't think we have the option of attending counseling with the kids, but we certainly would have the option for myself and DH to go. From what I've read, though, a lot of counselors hesitate to acknowledge PAS. I may be off. I haven't done extensive research, as I have only been aware of it (as PAS) for a short time. I am still searchng for answers. I have accepted the idea that more than likely it will be into their adult years that they will be willing to look beyond BM for answers and realize that they do want their dad in their lives. Of course we'd prefer it come earlier, but at least there's hope for those later years.

In our situation, there is nearly no contact between DH and the kids. Both kids have cell phones. DH calls about once a week and leaves a message to tell them he misses them and loves them, but they never call back. He worries he's intruding, and is becoming more and more hesitant to call. Of course, I believe some of the hesitance comes from the fact that more than likely his call will be ignored again. I understand that the more times he's ignored the more it hurts. I do feel, though, like it's important that he continue to let them know he thinks about them, wonders about them, and that he loves them.

Most Evil's picture

We have suffered from PAS too. I have an SD18 who has said and done some very mean, publicly humiliating stuff to her dad, I believe to please her mom, ergo PAS. I have to say I did not agree with the book's method of addressing it. To me it seemed like they recommend that you beg your own child to love you and deign to speak with you. But we didn't know what to do either.

Every time DH would call SD either she or BM or both would scream at him on the phone, say he is not a dad, he never did anything for her, etc., over and over over the years, at midnight on a school night, SD would call to ask why Dh loved drugs and alcohol more than her???? I am sure a 10 year old is up thinking of that? SD would also ask why we would ever buy ex. a boat, etc. and other similar stuff that I consider smartass and none of her business.

Finally when SD was 16 and smarted off and hung up on her dad, I called her directly and spoke to her about it and we argued about her attitude to her dad. That is the issue that brought me to ST.

More or less ever since we have been limiting the rewards for her bad behaviour and backstabbing to her dad. This PAS reaction is really driven by me since DH always insists its not true and forgets what has happened, and the fact that I am the one that buys any gifts, plans trips etc., I just am not doing it now, also because of DH unemployed, etc.

DH and SD have gone almost a year without speaking before over a political argument, then he started to see it IS SD, it IS coming out of HER mouth, it IS SD writing the hurtful messages and sending them. That she only comes around if she is getting gifts. So we didn't give gifts for that almost one year and I swear her attitude is better to DH after that. She calls him now and 'loves' him again. I personally think my meddling SIL (former skid) told SD via Facebook that is why she was not invited to any of our events during her self-imposed exile, and that is why SD is calling DH again.

So there are other ways to deal with it. Some may say, that my relationship with SD has suffered, but I really don't care, because someone needed to point out that she is a child and needs to show some respect, and neither parent would. But I know the book said you should not get mad, etc. I don't buy it. But SD was 16 when I started holding her accountable.

stormabruin's picture

That sounds like a big part of the problem we're having with SS16, is that his mother has him believing that he knows best, and that he somehow has the power to call the shots. DH won't have it. He simply feels he is the father. SS16 is the child, and right or wrong, DH and myself will call the shots in our home. BM has convinced SS16 that any correction or discipline...anything SS does not agree with or like that is enforced is a show of disrespect from DH toward SS. Therfore, he believes DH has been mentally abusive and harmful, and these are the things that have been brought up in court and have, over time, led to DH having supervised visitation only. SS tells the judge his dad has broken him down and is mentally abusive. Judge doesn't ask anymore questions. Obviously, if the child says it, it's true. I have developed a true dislike for the court system, lawyers, and personally for the judge that handles our cases. I have not seen an ounce of effort made on the behalf of the lawyers or the judge to look out for the children. It seems everything has been about who has more money to pour into a lawyers pocket, the lawyer skewing stories and saying whatever has to be said for their side to win, and which lawyer has it in best with the judge, or who owes who a favor. DH and I have both given up on the court system, and that's what brought me here. DH is ready to give up. I understand his hurt. I feel hurt too, but I guess I've always been the one who would put everything I have into making sure I don't give the other person the opportunity to say I gave up, or I didn't give it everything I could have. I don't want these kids to grow up and have ANY room to say he didn't care enough or that he gave up on them. DH will not bend to begging for their love, but I worry that he'll give up and when they realize they do need or want him in their lives, they won't have it in them to let him know. I hate for them to spend their lives with regrets like that because their minds have been skewed as children. I mentioned maybe him sending a card and just telling them how HE feels about the situation. He has always stayed clear of letting them know that they've hurt him. He feels that as children, they shouldn't have to deal with that. I feel that as teenagers they are old enough to understand hurt feelings. They've felt them. I feel like they need to see that their actions and choices affect and hurt people other than themselves. Teenagers are selfish anyway. I think he has every right to express that to them. He refuses to do it, though, simply because more than likely whatever he sends will cross through the path of BM. Obviously he has shared personal feelings with her before while going through their divorce, and she showed his letters to family and friends and she laughed at him for what he shared with her. Because of that he can't bring himself to share or express things like that with his kids. He's convinced they'll think he's a joke. I guess all I can really encourage him to do is continue making phone calls. Even if they're ignored and not returned, it'll show on their phones that he called and it'll let them know he thought of them.

Most Evil's picture

Hi, thanks Crayon, yes that is what I am saying too. Here is to me the most important part of the article, which by the way is written by a alienating skid who is now an alientated parent:

"We want to enlighten our children to see the truth of whom and what we are; parents spend more time trying to prove they are the opposite of the lies when it comes to being targeted by an alienator. This strategy is time consuming and in my opinion just proving to the child that the alienator is correct. Be the parent you are, we use excuses that the children do not know better that is why they act like this..

Until recently I even believed that course of action but where does that line become reality of children being responsible for their actions. Yes they might have confused the facts with help but at a certain point a child should not be allowed to disrespect you despite being encouraged or validated by the alienating parent. In our longing to have interaction with our children we are silently teaching them it’s ok to behave in this manner."

The more my Dh pursued SD18, the more violent the rejection. It wasn't until he decided to wait until SD contacted him, which she took almost a year to do, but thereby saying in effect that she did want to participate in a relationship with him, that is when their most recent 'healing' began.

Because it takes two to make a relationship. I think teens are capable of contacting their aliented parent if they want to and nothing or no one stands in the way of it.

stormabruin's picture

You all have offered so much in your responses. Though it doesn't change the situation, it certainly does help us in trying to figure out how to cope. It's overwhelming to have so many feelings and thoughts and have no idea where to begin some sort of healing process. I have been here only for a couple of weeks, but have found steptalk to be incredibly useful and helpful, if only for me to have a place to say what I feel like I need to say without being fearful of touching DH nerves or hurt his feelings. Thank you all.

soverysad's picture

DH and I addressed it rather harshly with SD5. It is unfortunate that it came to this but we flat out told SD that we know her mother doesn't like us and tells her to lie about us. We told her that lying is unacceptable and that if we find out she lies to her mother or anyone else there WOULD be consequences. AND we defined lying as pretending she doesn't like us. We also explained to her that her mother is an adult and responsible for her own feelings and that it was not acceptable to hurt daddy's feelings to make mommy feel better. It took a long, long time but sd is much better. She still lies to her mother and her mother still kisses her ass, but she no longer does it in our home (consequences happened ONE time - I made her hang up on her mother), she now hugs dh in front of her mother at exchanges (harsh, but dh refused to hug her once at our house upon request and explained to her that that is how she makes him feel every Sat. and Mon. morning). Again, it sounds mean, but kids will take the path of least resistance so if mommy is making their lives hard and daddy isn't pushing back, they'll side with mommy regardless of their true feelings. Kids need to learn early that they are responsible for their own actions regardless of what their mother says or does. It also helps them set boundaries with a very toxic person (bm) in their lives which will benefit them down the road. PAS is based on the idea that the kids will fear losing mommy's love so they conform. Daddy is so afraid of losing them he allows the kids to treat him badly. Generally, throwing a wrench in the underlying foundation shows the kids that mommy is still there even if they disagree and daddy loves them, but not in a way that allows them to be disrespectful. The only way to battle it is to fight fire with fire. Yes it makes the kids uncomfortable, but you aren't the one doing it, bm is. Let the kids put blame where it belongs rather than allowing bm to push the blame on YOU.

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy" and you can't change crazy!!

soverysad's picture

Thanks Crayon. I understand the fear that these fathers face of losing their kids but the misconception is that if they kiss their asses it will get better and all it does is make it worse because the stakes get higher, they get used to noone telling them no and then when the resources make it harder for dad to keep up, the BM says "see I told you he doesn't care about you". Dh cried and cried about the nonsense Wingnut put us through but he stood his ground and said "if she doesn't want to be a part of my life, that is her choice, but I will not stop being her father for the sake of being her weekend buddy". I am so proud of him and now he has SD way more than Wingnut.

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy" and you can't change crazy!!

Tryn2MakeIt's picture

Please do research on PAS, I have in regard to my Skids BM, and found that she has done 20 of the 28 signs, those are just the sign I have seen! There are three levels of PAS, we are dealing with the most severe level! Research it, get an attorney, get the kids to therepy, and start trying to reverse it before it gone too far!

The longer it is allowed to continue, the harder it is to correct. In alot of cases, it wont be able to be corrected. The only ones who truly suffer from PAS are the children!

I am doing everything in my power and bringing alot of issues to the forefront with my FH, and pushing all our legal rights to get the alienation the his XW is causing on his children to stop! I too am divorced with 4 Bkids, and never, would I ever do to my children what BM is doing to hers! I may not love my XH, but by God I still respect him as a father, and a great father he is, I would never damage his relationship with our children.

But unfortunately, BM is vindictive, purely EVIL!!

Act now, for the better of your Skids!! Take control and help them!

TAT3_US's picture

PAS is a sad state of affairs. It has ruined my blended family. My skids too went from loving me and wanting to be around me to telling DH BM told them I was the reason he was not their "friend" anymore and he did not care about their well being. That he spent all "his" money on me and my BD. I work by the way and have my own money. As long as the BM is bitter and angry and cannot get on with her own life, she will torture her kids and make everyone miserable. It is sad.
I have to deal with this on my side as a BM with my ex, however. I tell him to call me anytime during the week to pick up DD to spend time. He always says he is busy. But then tells DD I never let him come get her. Tells DD I cheated on him and kicked him out. So far from the actual truth. He was a drunk and never came home so I booted him out. I take the high road and tell my daughter that it makes me sad her father would say such things that are not the truth. I tell her when she is older if she would like to know I will tell her, but right now it is not something she needs to be bothered with. I say her dad loves her, I love her and that is all she needs to know.
From what I have learned with PAS it seems that the parent responsible gets the other parent involved with discipline or saying "no" to the child. Once the other parent does, the PAS parent backs off and acts like the "good cop" comforting the child so they will hate or blame the other parent. It can really mess with your head as well as the kids.