You are here

Please don't do me any favors.

NoDramaMama's picture

I'm feeling a little miffed. I was having lunch with my boyfriend, and a couple walks in with a toddler. That child was making a lot of noise and so my BF asks me, "Do you want to take care of a baby?"

My NOT-so-quick backstory is this: I don't have any kids, he has a son. We've talked about getting married and having a child together. I asked if he WANTED to get married and have another child. His answer?? He said he would do these things because he LOVES me. :? So I continue to ask whether it's something he WANTS...but he keeps saying that he knows how much I WANT to, so he wants to because I want to...I said that's not cool, like I would want him to actually want it himself, not because I want to. He says that I don't understand, that that is the ultimate sign of LOVE, that someone would do for someone. He said he would be just fine whether he got married again or not...and whether he had another child or not...but he loves me sooo much that he wants me to be happy (which to him means marrying me and giving me a child) Am I just being dense here? Anyway...back to today's conversation...

BF: Do you want to take care of a baby?
Me: Uhh...who WANTS to take care of a baby?
BF: It doesn't sound like you do.
Me: It's not something you want to do, it's something you have to do if you want a child. Did you want to take care of SS8?
BF: ummmmm yeeeeeah. well, I didn't NOT want to.
Me: I'm not talking about right now, I mean when he was born.
BF: NO. I don't like them when they're that young...I like them when they're 2.

OK....so I'm miffed because it brings me back to that whole conversation of marriage and babies. I was starting to feel like he wasn't sure he wanted another one...so he was trying to get me to not want one? I definitely don't want him to do this for me...I mean, it should be for both of us. I sometimes feel as though he thinks he's doing me a favor. Am I being too sensitive about this?

Orange County Ca's picture

Perhaps he wants more children but doesn't want to admit it??? Just a thought.

Disneyfan's picture

It sounds like he's happy with the current relationship. If it moves ahead, it will because you want to not him.

If you do marry, have a child and break up, he'll tell the next woman he was forced to do those things.