You are here

OT: No, WE are not ready to order.

Thumper's picture

This weekend DH and the kiddos went out to a very nice local Italian Restaurant.

We are greeted, seated and menus given by the hostess. The ambiance is great, little trendy with mosaic tiles and Italian dinner music. The place was not super busy since it was relatively early for the local dinner hours.

Our waitress, mid to upper 50's in age.. came zooming buy and I KNEW what was going to happen next.

"OUR WE READY TO ORDER"

--------------------------------------------------
Nothing gets under my skin more than hearing employees at a store "did WE find everything". OH wow are you looking for Gravy too? OR, "are WE ready to order" and pushing me thru the dinning process.

Ma'am we will order cocktails first for us, Ice-tea for the kids. Heck we might have two cocktails... THEN we will order appetizers that we would appreciate eating before you shove plates of Pasta down our throats and hand us the bill.

Servers in most places these days do not understand what cocktails and appetizers mean. They bring everything within a few minutes of each other. So, dh has to teach them DRINKS and appetizers first, THEN main course when those plates are removed. NOT when we are still chewing our on our artichoke dip and chips.

So yeah, WE are ready to order ...KIDS mover over she needs a seat as it appears we have another guest. Using the word WE means that she considers herself included in our dinner party. Why not, the more the merrier Wink . ARE we ready to order now?

Ughhhhh.

Thanks for the vent

Gwynnafaye's picture

I feel the same way. Another thing that gets on my last nerve is waitresses who openly flirt with my DH and ignore me. We had one that was a toucher. Her hand was on his shoulders every time she came to our table. He spilled a beer, and she came over fast and started to clean it up, her hand on him the entire time for "balance." At the end of the meal, she started to hand him the check, and I took it out of her hands. The look on her face was priceless. She thought flirting with him and stroking his ego would get her a big tip. Nope. She didn't get a tip that night . . . but I did. }:)

memyselfandi's picture

Another thing that bothers me to no end is being rushed through our dining experience. They take our drink orders and 5 minutes later they're standing there ready to take our order before we barely have a chance to look at the menu. As we usually go to a place that has a nice soup and salad bar, we order and 15 minutes later, the waitress is there with our entrees, barely giving us a chance to enjoy our salads.

As they whisk our salad plates away while I'm still chewing..(oftentimes with my fork!!), they come by often, "How is everything?" So completely annoying as they interrupt our conversation constantly!! Bad enough not being able to get a word in edgewise when the step kids are along without the waitress constantly interrupting every 15 minutes; yet it's even more annoying when my husband and I are out alone!! I know they want the table turnover for more tips, yet we paid for our meal and should be able to enjoy it in peace.

Here's another one: When you go to a store to check out and the person says, "Will this be all?" or "Just this today?" Why do they ask that!?? One time I actually said, "Although I'd love to buy out the store..this is all I can afford.." Smile