You are here

Not sure how to take care of biracial hair.

svillemomof4's picture

Hi everyone! My SD just had her first baby on Nov 30th! We are very excited, she is perfect and healthy! DH, SD and I want to all make sure we do what is best for the new baby and we are all out of our comfort zone right now. We have never had or taken care of a biracial baby before, nor has dad and his family, and from what I've seen they need different types of care. I'm talking about skin and hair care. My SD and DD both have very thick, dry, curly hair but the products they use are not recommended for biracial hair and I doubt they would be gentle enough for a baby, I wouldn't even try!

If anyone out there has any experience and can point us in the right direction that would be great. We have a few days before her next bath, they just sent mom and baby home today, so I figured I'd hop on here and see what I can find out. Oh, baby is 1/2 black, 1/2 white. Thank you in advance!

Thumper's picture

Congrats on the sweet new baby.

Usually the Grandparents let this up to the parents. Follow their ques and don't worry about it.

Besides a great grandma and grand pa ALWAYS ask about everything first. Ask bio mom for pointers then take it from there...........NEVER assume it's ok to do anything.

Happy Grand parenting.

Disneyfan's picture

Check out youtube. When I did my BIG CHOP last year, I turned to YouTube to figure out how to care for my natural hair.

I still go there first for ideas when I'm not wearing my hair is braids.

Rags's picture

Great advice Sueue. Beautiful little girls with mazing hair in those links.

BTW... I just after all of these years sounded out your name. I laughed. Very clever.

Classic!

Acratopotes's picture

:jawdrop: seriously..... you care for a bi racial baby the same way as any full racial baby.

use the bloody baby products you would use on a normal baby....

I'm sorry this is the most stupid question I've ever heard, why is there even race attached to a baby..?

Disneyfan's picture

I think it's kind of funny people seem to assume the kid will have straight or curly hair. LOL

Not all bi-racial kids end up with "good" hair. Many will end up,long, thick,kinky hair. If the texture is that of typical black hair, then no it can not be cared for the same way as a white child's hair is cared for.

Rags's picture

I am not sure about this good hair/bad hair thing. My hair is stick straight and baby fine. It always has been. If I let it grow for more than a month I start to take on the appearance of one of the early 60s Beatles. To get it to do anything but hang straight down I have to use very firm gel. The only hair on my head that is not stick straight and baby fine is the white hair at my temples. That can get a little crazy if it goes a few days too long without a trim.

My bride's hair has changed a lot in the 23+ years since we started dating. It started out very straight and now naturally goes to ringlets if she just lets it air dry out of a shower.

The kid always had very thick wavey course hair until about a year ago when he grew it just a touch after 5 years with a USAF buz cut. Not it is much straighter than it has ever been.

Any hair can be made to look good with some effort. Except mine. The baby fine stick straight thing does not lend itself to much variety with a man's business appropriate cut.

My black room mate many years ago would expound fairly often about the things he had to do to care for his hair and skin. Things that I never would have even thought of as being things people would have to think about much less do.

His hair looked great. It was the late 70s and he had a most notable afro.