You are here

A no bra question in front of basically step father

Loz00's picture

Hey

I'm not a mom but searching Google for somewhere to get answers I think this is the best place from the forums I saw because its basically about me and my moms boy friend who I guess for a long time treated me and my step sister like family

I'm 18 and mature and I'll try to explain my issue

When I'm at our house ive never had a bra on and it's always been fine with no problems. I don't wear 1 here becoz it is much more comforttable

My moms long term boy friend is now here most of the time and my mom has never had any problems with no bra at the house but since he moved in here she has had a problem with it

She has not explained exactly why its changed because even tho he was not living here before now, he would still visit and stay over the night and it was never mentioned

She is difficult to chat to about some stuff so I am trying to work out some stuff

When I say no bra on. I do mean just that. I'm fully clothed in NON sexy clothes/tops but no bra

Can anyone please explain why it would change suddenly and her asking me to wear one when he's been visiting for about 12 months but now suddenly I have to have one on when he is here

I'm talking NON sexy tops. Just stuff I wear to bed or relax at home. I am small chested but for other reasons I guess its noticeable for other reasons that can't be helped

Why has it changed all of a sudden?

I don't want to fight with my mom but I can't understand why its changed suddenly as I still have clothing on

Thank you

MrsStepMom's picture

Obviously she thinks he is checking your chest out. I never wear bras except for work, or obvious times when i should, but I don’t care if someone likes it or looks. I’m also not 18. If she feels he is checking you out that’s a him problem because it’s creepy and she shouldn’t be with someone she feels would do that. 

MrsStepMom's picture

Your mother thinks it for some reason. I doubt it founded but it seems what is going through her head. 

Loz00's picture

Ok thank you

It's just weird that all of a sudden I have to wear one. I'm not naked. I am fully clothed

notasm3's picture

It's your Mom's home. She gets to set the rules in her home. She does not have to give you a reason for you to agree to her decision.  Do as you are told or don't go there.  

shamds's picture

At home or when alone with my husband i don’t wear bras. What i wear are normal shirts or say tank tops that cover my s

chest so no cleavage and they are loose fitting but if you are E sized breasts like me, no matter what you wear people notice them. 

Last year my husbands niece went batshit crazy saying that i am rude and next time at family gatherings to wear a bra. Now this means she was regularly checking me out which is creepy and if i am wearing loose clothing, this isn’t something she can see. Also my son was about 1 month old and i was breastfeeding so no matter what my boobs were huge. This was never an issue for my husband and he has never had to tell me off to dress less sexier or cover up more as my style is usually, simple, elegant and comfortable.

when i was in my 20s in summertime my mum told me to cover up more as it was inappropriate to dress in a knee length dress or singlets and shorts at home when it was 40 degrees celsius or more

i brought this up with my dad who said mum was just nitpicking and to ignore her. My dad does not check me out and realistically when its hot weather, you aren’t gonna want to wear long pants and long sleeves with a jacket right?

your mum may just notice for example your boobs bouncing around when you walk and feel her boyfriend may see this and his eyes will wander but she may also want to protect you a little from being in a vulnerable situation with her boyfriend but hypocritically she should have vetted her boyfriend to ensure he wasn’t a weirdo and you’ve admittedly said he’s actually really pleasant and friendly. So it good just be your mums protective instincts and insecurities that you are younger and this makes her self conscious about these things

Loz00's picture

Oh ok. Thanks for the reply

I'm not large up top but I guess its always noticeable for a few reasons if someone wants to see I guess

Yeah he is a nice guy.  Just can't work out why my mom was so upset and demanding

shamds's picture

i’m just lucky i knew this was not normal behaviour and she made herself the centre of everything and had to make herself appear better by over exaggerating or lying and deep inside she just needed to be petty and put me down. If your mum isn’t a narcissist, It might all come down to your mum just is self conscious because you are a young growing woman and she is old... 

Carrieanne's picture

It's weird and creepy that y'all want to walk around and let people see your breasts. Ever wonder how it makes him feel? He's prob super uncomfortable. He is a guy, hell anyone really would look. Put a damn bra on ya sicko!!!!!

lieutenant_dad's picture

Perhaps it makes BF uncomfortable, and your mom is speaking up on his behalf. Or, when it was "just you girls" there, and he was just visiting, it wasn't a big deal because it wasn't also his home. Now that it is his and her home, she thinks there needs to be a new level of decorum.

Hopefully your mom's BF isn't checking you out and your mom is staying with him. That's creepy.

When my SF moved in with my mom, her rules for us changed. No more going in her bedroom. No more using her big bath tub and bathroom. No more talking to her while she was changing. Their bedroom became off limits, which was their right as the adults in the household.

So, now that there is a new adult in the household who is your mom's equal, things will change. My gut feeling is that it has always made your mom's BF uncomfortable that you don't wear a bra, but since he didn't live there, he didn't say anything. Now that he does, he is speaking up. I'd expect more things to change as your mom and BF decide how they will structure their life together.

Carrieanne's picture

It's called being modest. 

elkclan's picture

It's always possible that your mom is seeing you as competition now that you are an adult. My mom felt that way though this was not the way she expressed it. If this is the case, I'm sorry. 

If you are small chested, can you maybe invest in a bralet or something? I don't know as I'm not small chested. But I imagine this is making you feel really uncomfortable. 

Loz00's picture

Thanks

I doubt its that but thanks

Ok true

grace8205's picture

Not sure how old your mom is but maybe she thinks that you are no longer a girl and as a young woman you should look the part around others. 

I am a little older (45) so my views would be the same if I had a daughter.  

I am not a jealous old woman or anything like that, I look 10+ years younger than I am and I am still rocking it, gravity has not set in yet. 

I am traditional and it looks better when people are not giggling all over, this includes men who wear no underwear underneath their sweat pants. 

still learning's picture

I would definitely want my daughter to wear a bra around her SF.  Luckily it's not a problem for DD because she grew up with younger brothers who would have harassed her mercilessly for not wearing a bra.  

If mom has asked you to wear a bra then be respectful and put those puppies in an over the shoulder boulder holder when in the common areas.  When you're alone in your room let them be free!  

flmomma08's picture

Hmm I mean I would want my daughter to wear a bra around her stepfather/my boyfriend as well, just like I would want her to wear one around any other person (my brother, cousin, uncle, etc). I can see walking around like that in front of your mom but in front of others, I don't really think its appropriate. Just my two cents Smile

Carrieanne's picture

Thank you!!!! Finally some common sense. Of course her mother wants her to put on a bra. I would NEVER let my daughter walk around like that, it's so inappropriate.

Stepped in what momma's picture

would never occur to me to be out of my room without a bra. 13,17, 19 or 25. As a matter of fact I don't even walk around my house without a bra on if the skids are there. I think walking around without a bra on isn't appropriate. 

If my DH is out of town and my girlfriends are over then we can go without bras but if a girlfriend brings her hubby bras are back on. 

MrsStepMom's picture

Good lord my breasts hurt just hearing that. No way. I will NEVER wear a bra in my home...with the exception of company, but in front of my SS. He has seen boobs. If he is offended he can stop freaking walk in on me nude.

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

I disagree with the idea that a female HAS to wear a bra. That is a personal choice and many people base it on societal norms. I would NEVER force anyone to wear anything as long as basic bits are covered.

That being said you are in your mother’s home and there for must follow her rules unless you can convince her otherwise.

Rags's picture

I would take exception to this change if I were you.  You live there, he doesn't, so go without a bra. Point that fact out to your mom.  If her BF can't keep his eyes appropriately focused mom needs clarity that he is the issue and not you.

Now for the man-spective.  We notice when women are not wearing a bra.  Breast size is not particularly impactful to this fact.

If you are not comfortable with him noticing, wear a bra.  There are two options. This is one of them. The other is for your mom to quit bringing him to a house she shares with young adult daughters.

TwoOfUs's picture

One of the things I hated the most about having my stepkids over was that I had to wear a bra. I like being comfy in my own home but am a DD and don’t like to look sloppy in front of others. 

I did get a couple of those bandeau bras for the weekend and holidays when the steps were around. They’re soft and way more comfy than regular bras while still providing some support. 

CLove's picture

There is a big difference. You are an adult now, but you will always be her baby girl. She is just being protective, even if he is a nice guy - if its noticable, she wont want you "out there".

notasm3's picture

A bra does not have to be a wired torture device.   A sleep bra or cami bra is not much more then wearing a tank top.   It’s your mother’s home. She gets to set the rules. 

The only thing I like as much as taking my bra off at night it putting it back on in the morning for support. 

notasm3's picture

A bra does not have to be a wired torture device.   A sleep bra or cami bra is not much more then wearing a tank top.   It’s your mother’s home. She gets to set the rules. 

The only thing I like as much as taking my bra off at night it putting it back on in the morning for support. 

MrsStepMom's picture

I find all of those terribly uncomfortable. Could never sleep in one. Bra comes off, regardless of cami or bralette the moment I’m home. 

Mommabearboo's picture

Just put your bra on. You’re an adult already. I would not feel comfortable if I don’t have my bra on in front of my brother or dad especially he’s your mom’s boyfriend. She’s being very reasonable by asking you to do so. So be respectful to your mom and her house. When you move out, you can do whatever you want.

Leilene's picture

Although, as a woman, I’d find it to be a red flag in my relationship if I felt the need to have my daughter do certain things to keep my man from ogling her...it is your mother’s household at the end of the day, it’s her hard work that provides your shelter, and so you should respect her wishes. She’s probably just being realistic of the fact that because her partner does not have a biological link to you, it might genuinely be automatic/unintentionally harmless to notice an aspect of your womanly body which would make things super uncomfortable and inappropriate for everyone. When I was living at home during college, there was just certain wardrobe ettiqutte that we upheld in the presence of non-family. Even in the presence of extended family that I rarely saw, I wouldn’t feel totally comfortable with no bra. You can always take your bra off once you get to your own bedroom. 

kibbles's picture

i'll offer a different kind of perspective from a man's point of view. this most likely does not apply to your stepfather or your mother, but it can help paint a picture.

you see, sexual attraction in men are usually mainly based on anatomy. attraction is born from desire, so we are attracted to the anatomy that can fulfill our desires. every man has his own desires. the desires of a man are definitely a lot more tame than the desires of a young boy, but we can't forget that many females are victims to the desires of boys during certain periods of time in their life. so to some degree, an experienced woman can understand what a man finds sexually attractive. boobs are definitely targets for sexual attraction.

make no mistake, men are not always attracted to boobs simply because boobs are boobs. it depends on the man in question. the problem is that a woman won't know for sure if a man is attracted to boobs, or which boobs he is attracted to. the less cloth covering the boobs, the easier it is for the target to be spotted. experienced women know this, which is one of the reasons why bras were invented. i mean think about it, why are bras not acceptable public attire but bikini are? it's because bikini are usually made from thicker material.

so covering up isn't always necessary around every man. when it comes to men who would be attracted to bare boobs under a shirt, wearing a bra will most likely prevent that attraction. experienced women know this, but they don't know which men to wear bras around. that is why mothers could make a big deal about covering up when men are living in the home.

Dads_Wife's picture

Can you just wear those express tanks with built in shelf bras? I'm in my 30s and that is what I wear in front of my parents when I stay with them for a weekend. Its what I wear in front of inlaws too. They're pretty comfy and they give you enough support but you're not dying.

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

There are times I prefer to not wear a bra. I am also smaller up top.  But, now that DS is almost a teen I make it a point to at least cover up with an oversized tee shirt, flannel or a robe before I walk around the house. Look at it from this perspective.  If you had a boyfriend over,  how would you feel about your mom walking around in front of him with a tank top and no bra. Would you be comfortable with that?

nappisan's picture

maybe moms BF mentioned  that he feels uncomforatble with it and she is only following that up.  I know if it was the reverse situation and my BF's older son walked around in jocks and nothing else,, it would make me uncomfortable 

Sandybeaches's picture

This post is a year old, hopefully by adding a year she is wearing a bra by now.  *ROFL*

Honestly even if OP has brothers she should wear a bra.  If it is a comfort issue invest in a sports bra.  Unless you have your own home you really need to have modesty.  I respect the mother for trying to teach her daughter modesty.  

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

Chances are it makes one or both of them uncomfortable when he is in the house. I started wearing sports bras under my shirts in the house once my DS got to an age where he started to notice things like boobs. I wouldn't want to make him or his friends uncomfortable. I also do it because I want hisl stepsisters to wear some sort of bra so Thier is no weird sexual attraction while they are all young teens with raging hormones.

I explained it to the girls once asking if they would like him running around in just tifhty whiteys. They were grossed out at the thought. The idea is just to make everyone feel comfortable.