You are here

the nerve of this kid

Thursdaysarethebestdays's picture

About three weeks ago I had the pleasure of teaching skids how to ride their bikes without training wheels because DH didn't have the patience for it. On last Wednesday, SS6 asked DH "can we take our bikes to BM house because we only have cars over there".
BM's parents buy skids all kinds of power wheels (F150, John Deere Tractors, Escalades, etc) despite the kids being 6 & 8.

Anyway, DH yesterday & I went to a sporting goods store that just happened to be having a sale on bicycles and I talked DH into getting SS6 a new bike since he was riding a hand me down, but we ended up not getting it because we were in the wrong car (too small to transport a bicycle).

Well, I went to pick the kids up from school today and they let me know their grandfather bought two new bikes for them on Saturday. Later on, SS6 asks if we can go to the park to ride bikes. We loaded up the car and went to the park.

Before we could even get the bikes out of the back, SS8 says "man that bike doesn't look too good" and SS6 laughs and says "yea something is wrong with it". Well I can see where this is going. So I told them both "if you have a problem with the bikes we can go home and you won't ride". SS8 jumped on his bike and rode off. SS6 looked at me for a second and then did the same. Less than 3 minutes later, SS6 rides by and says "daddy, this bike is so small, its hard for me to ride it". DH told him "that's the same bike you just learned to ride on, the same bike that you ask to ride every day and the same bike you were begging to take with you last weekend so ride the bike". And I added "if there's a problem with the bike we can go back home". SS6 with a straight face says "but I'm just saying its not as good as the bikes we have at mommy's house".

I told them all to pack it up and I drove home. We spent more time driving to and from the park than we did actually at the park.

I realize they are just kids and new is always better than old in their eyes. But seriously? DH chewed skids out about how its not right that they have had bicycles for at least one year that they loved and would ride every day but then all of a sudden they get something new somewhere else and what they've always had isn't good enough".

And to think, I was the one advocating for SS6 to get a new bicycle. He won't be getting one now.

Jellybeam's picture

Good job calling the kids out on their bullshit. My DH would have been better off letting ME make decisions about how we want to be treated by the skid...now it's HIM she treats shitty. And she's 11, so he's waited a little too long now!

Yes! I refuse to take crap from two kids. I told DH its now or never for setting things straight. He's not as consistent as I think he should be, but he does step up when I put my foot down.

Well DH sure busted his. We've never compared, although I'm sure BM does in our case. The problem is that she's comparing apples to oranges.

She doesn't pay CS, never has, except for the first month. Her parents pay for skids clothes, shoes, toys and even gives BM money for food. When BM moved into her bf house, her parents bought beds and furniture for the house so skids could have some sense of normalcy. Skids spend half of BM days with her parents.

So she's comparing what we do out of love and duty for the kids to what she has her overindulgent parents do for the kids.

luchay's picture

Ugh - we get that crap happening here too.

Whatever we give the skids for birthday/Christmas BM HAS to go and get a "better" (more expensive) one for them.

Pisses me off no end. She has run through $110,000 from their property settlement in less than a year, has been renting an exe house in an upmarket neighbourhood and now has to move somewhere cheaper. We have a house with a mortgage, we both work our butts off to pay the CS AND support the rest of the family.

But SDstb13 tells my DD10 that *I* am cheap and her mother buys her much better/more expensive nicer stuff. F*ck you little bitch. I'd rather put a roof over my kids heads and teach them to be responsible and earn money.

My kids don't get the best and latest of everything. We gave SD a pre-paid mobile phone for her 12th birthday last year - just a cheap one, and promised her $30 a month for credit if she did certain chores. She lost it within 2 months and then amazingly turned up with a brand new iphone BM got on a plan for her.... Whatever.