You are here

Need Ideas ASAP!

phoenix410's picture

What would you do if your SD11 kept stealing your clothes and your DH was doing nothing about it?

StickAFork's picture

Rub itching powder inside them.
}:)

Ok, *I* wouldn't do that. I shared clothes with SD. Sometimes, she asked. Sometimes not. It didn't bother me.

RedWingsFan's picture

if you touch MY clothes again, I'm going to rain fresh hell down on your head. Keep your GD hands off my things, do you understand me?" Then rock her world if she does it again.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

THIS^^^^^^^^^^ I love the "rain fresh Hell" phrase!

SD14 is too big for my clothes so I never had to worry about that! Smile

bi's picture

"If your spineless husband doesn't like that, tough shit. Maybe HE should have stepped up and fixed it instead of forcing you to deal with it."

exactly. i have told fdh on a few occassions "you deal with this or i will." he knows i won't dance around the issue and make my demand seem like a plea. if he wants to do that, fine. i won't. i'll be very stern and bitchy and there will be no doubt as to what i expect and what i will do if it doesn't happen. if he doesn't like it, he had ample oppurtunity to deal with it himself. him not dealing with it and me following his crappy lead is NOT an option.

RedWingsFan's picture

^^^That's me. I've said those exact words to DH before "you deal with it or I will". He knows I won't pussyfoot or sugarcoat anything.

Case in point: we rescued a kitten from a shelter. Brought kitten home. Went over the rules for kitten with SD (then 12 yrs old). Kitten is NEVER to be locked in your room. Period. Never. Not for five minutes. If he's in your room, the door is to remain open at all times until he exits the room.

Kitten is home for 2 weeks. SD's door is shut. Where do you think he is? Uh huh, SD's room. So, I open her door, tell her again, no kitten in your room with the door closed. "I forgot"...sure you did kiddo.

This happened 4 times during the first 6 mos of having the kitten. By the 5th time, I looked at her father and said "listen, she's well aware of the rule with him. She's broken this rule more than a few times. If you don't handle this situation, I will".

He told her she was "grounded" from the kitten for a month. One month later, guess where kitten is? I calmly opened the door, took the kitten out and then REMOVED her door. Yep, you don't want to fucking listen and follow the rules - you get to deal with ME!

Redsonya's picture

I would tell her she was absolutely not allowed in your room AT ALL and make a huge stink everytime you saw her in there.

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

Lock your closet or your bedroom door. DH should NOT be OK with this behaviour.

Orange County Ca's picture

Stealing? Or just wearing them and they end up in the wash?

This situation personified the problem of step-parenting. Without the backing of the bio-parent the step is helpless to do much more than yell. Since locking the bedroom will only result in your husband leaving it open as a way of rebelling I'd take over one closet for things I wanted to keep her out of and lock it. It'll probably having sliding doors so you'll have to be inventive about the locking system. Go to a "real" hardware store like Ace Hardware or your locally owned hardware store for advise. Chain stores like Home Depot hire ignorant kids and they won't be of much help.

Do it yourself if you want to. Even if you do a sloppy job (like I would) it'll do the trick and in a few years she'll outgrow this stuff and you can remove the locks, fill in the holes and repaint. Maybe your husband will do it or a neighbor but if not hire a handyman.

Smomof3's picture

My SD stole my jewelry at a young age and gave it to her Mom and her Mom's live in GF. Because it wasn't fair they couldn't afford pretty things. Her BM hocked them for crack money.

Krispey Kreme's picture

Go buy yourself some new clothes and tell her she can keep the old ones. Do this every time and DH will get the picture. And you'll have new clothes! Or tell him he needs to take her shopping so she can acquire an adequate amount of clothes. She may not have much and take your things so as not to be embarrassed at school? Not your fault, but hard for kids (expecially girls) to go to school not dressed like the other kids.