You are here

Internet Useage for Kids

The Dad's picture

So, our kids (11 boy, 13 girl) came back from Christmas with their bio-dad (my wife has full custody, we switch off holidays every other year) and they each got a tablet computer from their grandparents (but of course the bio-dad takes the credit). Before I go on, apologies for my obvious disdain, bio-dad is a deadbeat who poisons our kids minds. Anyway, my wife and I are just beginning to discuss our plan for their internet useage. The tablets were not prepared with anti-virus software, parental controls, etc. These are computers with windows software that access webpages just like any other computer.

Typically in our house, our desktop and laptops have only been accessed by the kids with our supervision, mainly for homework or games, with implemented password protection, and have parental controls. Before jumping into laying down the same rules with the tablets, I want to be sure we approach it the right way. I want to avoid the perception we are just trying to ruin the shiny new toy fun. Any experience dealing with something like this? And no...neither of our kids have cell phones so this is relatively new territory.

Thanks!

Peridwen's picture

I have parental controls on the router itself, which the kids have no access to. Right now they are limited to PG-13 and under websites, and their internet shuts off at bedtime. On the laptops themselves we have parent passwords that are required for any of the video games to start or to access the internet. I'm also going to be installing a keylogger (with full knowledge of the kids as we told them we will be monitoring everything) as they are getting older and allowed more access to the internet.

Neither of the kids has had any issues being able to access what they want to do on their laptops. SS10 keeps a private journal on his. He tells us he wants to write in his journal and other than verifying the program he's in occasionally, we keep our eyes off of it. I showed him how to password protect his journal so it can't be accessed without him present. If something were to turn up on the keylogger, DH would have SS10 there to open the document. (Plus with the keylogger we'll know the password anyways.) SS10 trusts us not to look and we encourage it by not looking unless we have reason to believe he is doing something wrong. We treat SD11 the same way, though she mainly uses her laptop for her art programs and nothing is hidden.

The Dad's picture

Thanks very much for the helpful advice; I feel like our initial thoughts are in line with what I'm reading from you all. I do additionally like the keylogger idea, Peridwen. We will definitely be getting the controls in place today.

Thanks again!

Stepped in what momma's picture

I would suggest allowing their parent to deliver the news to them, you doing it makes it worse.