You are here

I FINALLY got a job and guess who works at the company...AND has access to my personnel info....

Alexis G.'s picture

...you guess it- BM herself. DH was unexpectedly laid off in December, my contract ended in December, we found out I was expecting in December. Since then, neither myself nor DH have been able to find a job until I landed this one. The work is not too bad, the commute is horrible, but worst of all...BM is part of the corporate staff at this company. I had NO idea (she was hired 2 months ago)!!!

I contacted HR to discuss my concerns and asked if she would have access to my personnel info (i.e. SSN, salary info, benefits). And basically HR told me that while she currently does not have access to SSNs, "...her job duties may at times require her to see salary, pay and non-health employee information when preparing reports and supporting proposals, and could be required to see SSN’s to assist in completing Government or Legal documentation. If an employee believes based on credible evidence, that a Corporate support staff is misusing internal documentation then the employee should provide that evidence to a member of the HR team."

DH's response: let's hope another gig comes along. I'm fucking pissed and he's like well, hopefully something else will come along. In the meantime, not only do I have to see this wench on a daily basis, she has access to all my personal information!!

I have no clue what to do...we are expecting in 4 months. DH gets unemployment and his parents have been more than understanding and gracious in helping us out. As a side note: my previous client wants to re-hire me (contracting). It's not in stone but it's very probable.

I'm so upset right now, I can't even think straight. Life couldn't possibly get any more ironic than this. Not only do I have to see this wench every day, she could obtain access to my personal information. This is too overwhelming for me...

bewitched's picture

"To Thine Own Self Be True" William Shakesphere

That is unreal. Think I'd continue on the job search, and remain very quiet at work....

juanita47's picture

I would keep looking,In no way would i put myself in that kind of situation ,wont happen to me b/c i have already told my work about my situation and if this happened it would be a conflict of interest but then again i was one step ahead i guess and when my work heard she was phsyco well that put the foot down lol
best of luck i give you credit where credit is due im sure there is something you can do to prevent her from your personal info,there must be a privacy act there somewheres

Tara12's picture

I'm so sorry that you are in this situation. That is also hard as well because you really need that job and you are going to have a baby soon. Hopefully you can keep looking for a job and find something else after you come back from maternity leave. I would have told you just to quit because that would not work for me but in this tough times we all need an income and job security.

Gia's picture

F*ckd up!... What are the odds of that happening? ... LMAO

Alexis G.'s picture

...I'm still in shock. The odds are crazy! Out of all the companies in this huge metro area, BOTH of us end up at the same company about 30miles OUTSIDE of the metro area. It's unreal. I found out last week when I went on location to fill out some paperwork and saw her in the freaking COFFEE ROOM! Both of us looked like we'd seen a ghost...it was actually pretty funny now that I think about it...LOL! I was so annoyed last week but recognized that times are tough "gotta do what I gotta do". However, after receiving HR's response to my inquiry today, I'm completely pissed and stressed out.

After writing my post, DH and I had a heart to heart. DH said I misunderstood his comment. He thinks I should remove myself for the situation immediately and continue to look for work. He has several interviews coming up and he doesn't want the stress to impact my health or the health of our baby.

I totally agree, but a tiny part of me also feels a little guilty. As if I've let down my family...not pulling my weight so to speak. I'm going to sleep on it and make a decision by 11am tomorrow (I'm supposed to start next Wednesday). 80% of me does not want to be in the situation at all- it's too overwhelming. But the other 20% of me feels that I'm being selfish b/c we could use the money.

I don't know Ladies (and Gents?)...but I will keep you posted. I should write a book...this is the stuff TV shows are made of...LOL...

bewitched's picture

"To Thine Own Self Be True" William Shakesphere

Very shortly after my divorce, my ex remarried. I mean, within 6 months, after 17 years of marriage.

I was working, supporting my children, and decided to take a computer course at the college.

My first day of class. The instructor comes in, and it's a young man. Who then introduces his assistant-a woman my husband had an affair with when we were married (and his best friends ex wife, to boot!). Then more students filed into class. And sure enough, one was my ex's new wife!!! I nearly fell off my chair.

I am happy to say I got a 4.0 in that class. And afterwards, the cute young instructor asked me on a date.

Funny tho. Out of 12 people in the classroom, 2 were men. So that left 10 women. Out of the 10 women, my ex had slept with 3 of us!!! What a HO! LOL.

So fast forward about 7 years. I moved to a town 30 miles from where my ex and I had lived and I was working as a dispatch officer at the police department. My supervisor brought in a drivers license, handed it to me, and asked me to run an MVR (it was for a truck driver, to get her record). I looked at the license-and according to my supervisor, went white. The drivers license belonged to the woman who was having the affair with my husband (ex) that ended our marriage. Again what a HO!

Strange things do happen-if you have to stay where you are until you get another job, think of my 4.0!

Alexis G.'s picture

...I truly thought the things that have been happening in the past month could only happen to me! It's so good to hear that others have been in similar situations...LOL.

Great job on the 4.0 and thank you for making me stop to laugh at myself in this crazy situation.

Alexis G.

Most Evil's picture

Even if you quit now, she already has your info. If you have been able to avoid giving your SSN, I would back out now. You don't need any job that bad! I know, but really this is a bad, bad situation girl!!

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth." - Vladimir Lenin

Alexis G.'s picture

....but she is not part of HR and thus did not have access to my SSN, just my salary info (maybe). BUT, the fact that in the future she COULD gain access to my SSN and other personal info for "reports" lead me to the same conclusion you have...I don't need any job THAT BAD!!

So, I put my faith in God, rescinded my acceptance of the offer, and will be starting another, much better job next week (thank you!!!!). You don't know how relieved I am...I can't stand that -ish and Lord knows I didn't want to see her horse-face every day! Joking....actually, no I'm not...I can't stand her...

Also, DH finally landed new job too!

Alexis G.

Alexis G.'s picture

...too bad the company wasn't willing to update/modify their policies...

Alexis G.

HummingBirdHunny's picture

You need to get out of there and fast! Yes she may have access to your personal info and I personally would hate to be in that situation. BUT on the flip side for the time being should you decide to take the job, have HR make a note of it in your file that BM has access to records, then should something happen in the short time your there...they can look closer at her if needed. Also if you did give a SSN then just remember that if you need to you can change it. Yes that is a pain in the neck but at least then you would have more peace of mind knowing she wouldn't have that info! But over all I think you need to just get out while you can. And if you have to give a reason then tell them it's personal or just be honest and tell them one of their employees is the mother of your skids and you aren't comfortable with her having "easy" access to your personal info, they might be willing to figure something out if they truly want you on their staff also.

TinaKay's picture

I would not take that job and if forced to, I would be looking for another RIGHT AWAY.
Don't know what you do for a living but in certain professions she would have the power to destroy you professionally.
For me, IF that happened, I'd quit without notice, go to boss and tell boss have to leave, no notice as she is there and you fear retailation or a hostile work envoiroment and can't risk staying.
I would not even take the job if I had to.... I'd leave the moment I found out she was there, just as I said telling my supervisor I feared retailation because in my profession she could destroy me... wouldn't be worth it to stay.
UNLESS if course I hoped to sue her and looking for ammo for a major lawsuit against her and the comppany, hope you can afford the lawyer if you choose to go this way.

This is a bad, bad, bad situation !!! RUN away as fast as you can before she gets her claws out and digs them into you.

Alexis G.'s picture

...I'm not worried about her destroying me...she's administrative and technically works for those in the field (me). BUT, I did worry about her using my salary info to get back at DH and try to obtain more CS money.

Alexis G.

Alexis G.'s picture

...she made a false claim and is STILL working at CPS???

Alexis G.

secondwife20's picture

I have access to all of the hospital's patient medical files. BM has been to the hospital that I work at many times before, so I could easily dig into her information. BUT... I could get fired for that because unless BM was a cancer patient currently in our unit, I can't look up her medical information. As curious as I am to know what's in her files, it is definitely not worth losing my job over.

Unfortunately for you, BM's job entitles her to look up personal information. I'm so sorry that you're in this position... I would be just as pissed off if BM had my information at the tip of her fingers because I know for a fact that she would stuff her nose in my personal information.
However, isn't there some law out there that because you know BM and are the step mom of her children, she can't look up your information? What's it called? Conflict of interest or something?

Serena's picture

Keep the job. If it makes you uncomfortable, keep looking, but these are tough times and you have a baby on the way.

So she can see your personal info? She sees where you live and your phone number (which she likely already knows), how much you make (which doesn't really matter other than it really isn't any of her business, but it doesn't hurt anything for her to know either), and your SSN (which she really can't do much with except get credit cards or loans which is much tougher nowadays and you can't be held liable for credit theft anyway, plus she could get in big trouble and that might be fun to watch).

I totally don't blame you for being freaked out, but I would sit on it a day or two, calm down, and ask yourself what's the worst that could happen? Good luck, let us know what you decide!

Alexis G.'s picture

...DH and I had a long talk about it. In all honesty, aside from BM working there, I wasn't too thrilled about the job or the company. Also I have been a contractor for the past year and came to love the autonomy, pay, and flexibility of contracting (I would have been a perm/salaried emp at this place).

So, I went out on faith and rescinded my acceptance of their offer. And, as God would have it, I was offered a contracting job (with a former client) the very week I rescinded my acceptance. DH also landed a great job. I can't tell you how relieved we are and now I feel I can truly enjoy the rest of my pregnancy.

Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement and for making me laugh!

Alexis G.

Serena's picture

I'm happy for you. I'm glad that you don't have to worry about it anymore. No one needs that much stress when pregnant! Enjoy your new job.