You are here

I Feel Like I Am Being Used

armywarrantwife's picture

I will try to give a BRIEF (if it is at all possible) summary of what I am dealing with. My husband did not have custody of his 2 children when we married. They lived with his ex sister in law and her husband who were their legal guardians. Their mother is drug addict and she lost her rights many years ago. Now she is in prison. My husband really did not see or call his kids. He chose to continue his military career to provide for them rather than being involved in their daily life after he and their mother divorced. I am not saying I agree with this. He made this choice long before we met. After we married we did go to court so he could regain custody of his children. We were granted it. Although after talking with the kids we decided to allow them to remain with their aunt and uncle. After all the shuffling around and they had experienced at the hands of their mother it was the only stable enviroment they had ever known. Between both of us we have 4 kids. Our oldest is 20(his) and in the service. Then there our daughter(mine)she is a college student and moved back to our(mine and my kids) home state for college and lives with my ex. Next is daughter #2(his) she is 17 and our youngest son(mine) is 15. After a summer visit with his dad he asked if he could remain there and go to school ( I realize that moving around because of the military is hard) so I allowed it. I am happy that he and his sister are together at their dads as they are very close. 1 1/2 years ago my husbands daughter was brought to us by her aunt and uncle. She was causing ALOT of problems at her aunt and uncles. Her mother was thought to be"clean" and before calling her dad she allowed her to go there. That was a disaster that lasted only a few days. Mom was not clean and her felon husband gave her a choice him or her daughter. She once again chose her own wants over her kids. What a winner! Finally getting close to the point....2 weeks after she came to us my husband had to leave for 3 months. So I was left with a troubled teen girl who I barely knew. When he returned we moved to another state and about 8 months later yep you guessed it he is deployed. She got into trouble several times before he left. Luckliy no brushes with the law. Things like skipping school ( that happened once ) ,smoking pot, failing grades , breaking trust just to name a few. She talks horribly to her dad . She does not disrespect me like she does him . To keep her out of trouble I do not allow her computer access (yes that has been a problem namely posting things on FB without thinking of the consequences) she is not allowed to date because she is not mature enough to handle it.Not to mention I do not want to raise a grandchild (yes I put her on the pill immediatly after she came to us because of her previous actions) She does not stay home alone and has no social life. I know this sounds harsh but trust me it is for her own good. She calls me mom by her own choice. She knows that my love for her is the same no matter what she calls me. I am really trying hard to help become a successful adult. I have heart to heart talks with her whenever they are needed. We do mother/daughter things together all the time. It is just that she is a very challenging child. I never have had any problems from my bio kids. I am not saying they are perfect but they never and still do not give us any problems. I feel like my husband is using me. If we were not married she would not be living with him. That is when he is here. I am the one that deals with her on a daily basis. After all the military is always taking him away. I know when I married him I accepted his children just like he did mine. But, mine have never caused us problems. As bad as it is to say he is closer to my bio kids than his own. I just wonder if he realizes everything I am doing for him and her on a daily basis.I feel like I am the one doing all the work and dealing with her and he wants to think that he is the one raising her when he is not ever around. Did I mention as much I love her she drives me crazy. She is just like her mother unfortunatly. She has zero common sense and lives in a fairy tale world. I am working with her on trust and common sense. Especially on thinking before she opens her mouth to prevent her from saying really dumb things. I do love her and I am trying to afford her all the guidance I gave my bio kids. She had a great home with her aunt and uncle and they raised her well i just can't figure out why she is the way she is and I wish my husband truly understood what he has dumped in my lap.

tiredout's picture

he will likely never understand...mine doesnt and I dont have near the responsibilties you do! clearly though; you are the hest thing that's ever happened to this kid..thankfully she has someone to guide her since no one who should be will step up!

oneoffour's picture

Have you thought that she is testing you to see how far your love goes? And a wise man once told me that troubled kids will act out for the one person who they know won't leave them.

This girl has had a drop-kick for a mother, an absent distant father, aunt and uncle who passed her off when she became too difficult. It is all test test test to see what your breaking point is.

Instead, why not have her earn back privileges. She wants computer time? @ weeks of homework handed in. Then she gets computer time for xx hours. BUT there is a net nanny on it so she can't say or see things remotely dangerous.

Your DH won't know what you are doing because men don't think like that. Is there some group she can get involved with with younger children with deployed parents? The way you describe her she sounds like Brittney on 'Glee'.

It was very nice for her aunt and uncle to take care of her but they too bailed when it got too difficult. This is your moment to shine in her life and be the 1 (one) person she can believe and trust will be there for her. She may be the only one to appreciate you and what you have done.

And thank you for your husband's service and your service for being a miliatry wife .... from a military mother.

armywarrantwife's picture

You brought up some valid points. I especially like what the wise man said.I am going to look into a group with younger children with deployed parents. Being a mentor may be good for her and help her with her low self esteem. I will not give up and bail on her so I guess the rewards and thanks will come when she is an adult and she sees how much I did for her. Thanks for you rreply..

Tx mommy of 3's picture

No advice, but I kin of understand in a way. My dh is not in the military so at least he comes home every day! But when we 1st got married I felt the same way. All of a sudden he was enforcing his extended visits with ss when he never dis before. He never kept ss during the summers for he 30 days but the summer after we got married, yep...ss for a FULL month. I always felt it was because he knew he could pawn him off to me and let me deal with everything. And I did at first. But now I let dh handle ss. And it is hard on dh. I force him to be the one to spend time with him and get to know him and deal with him. Maybe in a way, you need to do the same? Your dh has it easy because you do it all. Maybe when he is here you need to get him to reconnect with his own daughter. Maybe back off a little when he's here. Of course still be there for her, but also let dh be there for her too, you know? Am I making sense? You are right tht he wouldn't have hisdaughter if you weren't there. He's using you for your maternal instincts! Men have none! Perhaps teach him how to be a parent and how to bond with his daughter better. Just thoughts.