You are here

I don't want to be a stepmother

lilreenie's picture

My boyfriend of two years has two daughters, age 7 and 6...they are good girls, although a little crazy and unruly, and they adore me but I can't shake the unhappy feeling that having them in my life brings to me. I feel like such a horrible person, they are not rude or difficult children, and yet I dread when they are over or when we will be spending time with them. When I am with them, it's usually not as bad as I imagined but I get myself so worked up. They are very needy and I get so irritated with stupid little things like when they go into the refrigerator and eat food I've bought or use my things. Most of the time I keep my mouth shut but I feel myself getting so annoyed at them and at the situation in general. When I don't see them I feel great and I don't miss them but as soon as the prospect of seeing them comes up, I'm miserable. I don't know why I feel this way, especially considering they are good girls and they really love me. I like them but I can't feel love for them. I'm afraid to marry my boyfriend and take on this role of stepmother for a lifetime. And after reading so many posts of how things seem to get so much worse, I just dread the future. Why do I feel this way?? Will it ever get better??

joanie's picture

I don't know but I feel similar- my fella has one son and I have no interest in kids at all.

Kady Kelley's picture

Good Advice from a therapist

I am in my late 40s and found the love of my life after a VERY long search. After a short marriage in my early 20s, I have been divorced for 16 years and have a 19 year old in college. My boyfriend has a 10 year old son he shares 50/50 with his highly dysfunctional ex-wife. We live together now and plan to marry. His son is a good kid but as many of you explain, there is dread every time he is over. My boyfriend indulges his son's desires and whims, my needs are secondary when his son is around and I often feel resentful and frustrated. My boyfriend and I have an AMAZING connection but he has told me that he only wants my support not my input when it comes to parenting. I am to remain silent.
At first I was devastated (this is not what it looked like in the countless "How to be a good stepmom" books I bought) but then I had a therapist give me some valuable advice.
Everything, EVERYTHING, is perspective. She told me to see this as a freedom, a liberation, not a confinement. To step entirely out of the role of parenting.
Can we all just let go of the picture of what our lives were supposed to look like and accept them for what they are? When his son is here I now do my own thing. I plan meals I want to eat, I keep my own schedule, I demand respect for my space but nothing else. I don't care if this kid is becoming spoiled and obnoxious because HE IS NOT MY KID. I don't care about his manners, his diet, his school performance... none of it.
I am off the hook! HE IS NOT MY KID.
I am kind and supportive towards the boy. I help him with his homework when he asks, look at his art projects from school, play frisbee with him, etc., but I do not subvert my needs for his. This may sound cold, but it is a survival tool that has allowed me to stay in a relationship I have waited my entire adult life to find.
Rather than dread the time he spends with us I now look forward to it because I know I get to check-out and do my own thing.
I realize this approach may not work for everyone, and quite honestly, it is a new mindset for me and I do not know for sure if it will last the test of time. But what I do know is that I don't want to lose this man I love and I must focus on the only thing I can truly control: my perspective. Perspective creates reality.

dledden's picture

do what' i'm doing, helping BM get off drugs so she can start being a mom and skid can be gone from my house on occasion

Kady Kelley's picture

You are right, this attitude would never work if my SS came to live with us full time, and quite honestly, it is a struggle as it is.
Just yesterday the three of us went Christmas shopping together (breaking my "do my own thing rule") and I felt like a third wheel, not a family, and the distance between my boyfriend and I was huge! It felt lonely...and kinda sad.

The life of love I pictured for myself is not the life I am going to have if I stay with this man. I think I just need to mourn that loss and then move into accepting what my life is.

Is there a middle road for both of us? (Skids visiting or living full time) 1. Let go of the picture, 2. Prioritize ourselves and don't feel guilty when we take time away from them, in fact, make a point to do so 3. Set boundaries on the things that matter the most (pick our battles) and truly let the other stuff slide 4. Focus on the man we love, and the qualities that made us love him (this one is big for me because it is easy for me to start resenting him for putting me second or not parenting the way I would like him to) 5. Have the courage to leave the relationship if there are far more bad days than good for an extended period of time

I am rolling with this agenda for now, wish me luck. Today is one of those days when I truly wonder if I can do it.

Mentalgirl48's picture

This is so well said! Bravo to you! I stay out of it all..try my hardest to at least..when they are here I go out...Im not their slave but their dad is...I use to feel so obligated to be here with them and to play some type of role in it all..But i see it got me NO where and it wasn't really what I wanted to become..I AM NOT A MOTHER.. nor to I care to be with no kids of my own..

I still need on disenguaging a little better but have made significant changes in how I chose NOT to deal with the crap of it all...without feeling guilty about it.

lifelongstudent's picture

I love this so much. I feel like the only way I'll even have a slight chance of staying in this relationship is if I completely just think ... not my kid.. not my problem 

Loxy's picture

It's completely unreasonable for any bio parent to ask for support if they are not going to allow their partner input. Either you help parent your skids and have a say in all things parenting or you are disengaged and don't get involved and bio parent doesn't get to complain about that. 

If your partner is not willing to make you a priority (as you deserve) then I think the approach you have taken is really healthy as you are priortising yourself and I salute you!

memyselfandi's picture

I love kids..always have. Unfortunately I couldn't have any of my own so meeting such a wonderful man with two great kids..it seemed like a dream come true.

And it is. I love the kids to pieces and they love me too, but that doesn't mean there aren't certain things that come up after two people are married and all the "wrappers come off".

Funny how things change once you're married.

First of all, his kids are his kids. And his ex's too. I'll never have much of a say about their health care, or any other big decisions to be made according to my hubby. She's married also and it's always, "Well Mike says this..Mike says that.." as "Mike" rules the roost. However..my hubby tells ME things AFTER he and his ex have discussed them in length and THEN tells me what the TWO of them have decided.

Glad I could be a part of that decision....

But I'm just the stepmom..I've also been told that they already have a mom that yells at them all the time and more than anything, the kids need a "friend".

Whatever. A friend I'll be then. Just don't ask me to step in when you and your ex can't..

"Don't discipline them..you do it wrong.."

Okie dokies.

He's also told me that I have no right to tell him how to raise his children while in one of his bad moods.

Ok..I'll remember that too.

So when he tells me important bad things that his kids are going through..I sympathize but offer nothing of myself. I'm not going there.

Thus, I've disengaged. They're his kids..not mine.

There is no book written for stepparents on how to deal with these types of things. Thus we have counselors that we unload to.

I don't know about you people, but I've learned to disengage. Although I soo looked forward to being a stepparent..he'd ruined it for me as..

I could clean the house for weeks on end, making it immaculate, ask him nicely to please ask the kids (who are old enough to know to pick up their stuff) to pick up their things and help keep the place clean and his reply was, "We'll try not to make a mess..but you know it's gonna happen.." Yeah..I know that..kids will be kids..but does Dad have to set a bad example along with them??

While he takes his clothes off down to his undies and leaves them hanging over our dining room table, while the first place he goes is to our bathroom where the laundry basket is..and he can't throw them in there?? His daughter does the same..takes her coat off and kicks it under the kitchen table..their room is a disaster area and I'm supposed to make a cool room of her own for my SD??

Yeah right.

And that's the thing..he sets a horrible example when they're here with us. Disney Daddy on parade!! They're on vacation and I'm the maid service.

I've made my voice loud and clear on this one also. I'm done playing Nanny..maid..and the friendly step parent. He either starts respecting me as his wife and the step mother of his children..or I am done.

It took a lot to finally strap on a pair as I've always been the nicest person..but there comes a time when we all get old enough to become bold enough..and that's where I'm at now.

I don't put up with anybodies crap anymore..friends, hubbies, kids..you name it. Put up with that enough the past 50 years..lol!! At 51...I'm learning to set boundaries. Started with babysteps and the bigger the steps got..the stronger I got.

My hubby is finally learning that he doesn't run me like one of his employees. I'm his children's stepmom and NOT their babysitter. They WILL respect me when they come to our home or they don't have to come here as I've made that clear also. I told him that I don't want to be a rag of a stepmom..but if they push me to it..I will speak my peace.

Things has gotten a bit better...we'll see if it continues.

Sweetmexica's picture

Good for you! DH and I have been living together for 2 years and SD9 lives with us full time. DH is totally lazy butt! I have 3 clothes hampers but he STILL leaves his dirty clothes on the floor. Remedy, I make SD pick up after her dad. I am not his nanny nor his housekeeper!

Stephgei2019's picture

I like how you turned what he was trying to do back at him.  I married my husband not expecting that I would step parent full time. He was kind of like, SURPRISE here they go! Their mom is unfit to parent them, so I took over the role. I've always liked kids but not that much. It's been so hard for me to adjust. I also had a daughter of my own so I  felt he would feel the same as me and so maybe we could help each other. Now, I feel like I have to do everything and he has sort of stepped out. I get annoyed and frustrated with him and the kids. I really want a break from it but what can I do? 

vlilo's picture

I agree. My husbands daughter is primarilay what we argue about. He knew i didnt want kids, and i knew he had one. We have been married a year and i still deep down in my heart wish she didnt exist. Its so cruel i know, and i do feel horrible even possessing this, but its something one cant shake so easily. I find his daughter annoying, since day one, when i met him as friends. Sometimes i feel like a made a mistake marrying him. I love him dearly, but when his daughter visits, i cant handle it being around more than a few days. Especially when she uses MY expensive products and doesnt ask. I resorted to empty the shower of all my Lush products and face scrubber. i do not appreciate disrespectful actions. The worst part, he never asked her to apologize to me personally, he just lets her off like nothing happened. Sure he said dont touch stuff that isnt yours, but thats it. After that, I do prefer i do my own thing, and he just doesnt understand. I needed a place to vent so thak you all who read this. I'm sure ill be back.

beaniebabysadsack's picture

I feel the same dread. My fiance's daughter is coming in 4 hours and I've been bracing myself ever since we confirmed the dates of her visit with BM.

Aurrasing's picture

I don't want to be a mom or a step mom. I want a life. I want to have fun. I'm turning 30 and Ive been a step mom for 7 years EVERY FING WEEKEND. I used to go out and have friends and my man and I would fight because I wanted to do stuff. Eventually we bought a house together and we kind of lost our friends due to some issues. So for the passed couple years we did nothing. I became extremely depressed but I didn't hate being a smom as much. Recently we got some new friends that enjoy having a good time and we just now got in an argument about the skid. I don't want him here. I don't want to live with him. I want to have fun. My options are leave EVERYTHING. My house, my job, my life and somehow find a place and a new job that I could get to and cry for as long as it takes me to get over this heartbreak (also I am in the middle of finding a job near me so I actually have no money and would have to save up for this) or be depressed and have a skid around or (not actually an option) do stuff and argue with my man.

And no. We can't take him every second weekend or have a weekend off because i have no right to be part of setting this schedule. I am currently crying but I was good to see other people feel some what the way I do. I've been told I'm just being selfish but I just want to be me. I don't feel like me at all. I wish I never got into this relationship. I honestly hate myself so much every day because of it. Sometimes it's amazing but I'm not ok, I'm really not ok. Thanks for listening internet. I feel like I have no one else to go to.

ldvilen's picture

Oh, Honey, if you only knew for how many SMs this is their battle cry: "I've been told I'm just being selfish but I just want to be me. I don't feel like me at all."  When you are told over and over again your only option is to suck it up take it, take what are basically the repercussions of someone else's divorce F/u. . . Well, no one would feel like "me" after that.

Take care, best of luck to you figuring it all out, and many (((hugs))). Keep reading and posting here.

Tmoore's picture

This is a hard one, being the SM is hard, but these problems dont really sound any different than the one I have with my Bio kids. I would suggest talking to FDH if he is on your side and will back you, I would go that route first. Set some boundries, like they have to ask before they eat something. And if it is something you already have plans for suggest something they can have.
But on the flip side if FDH is not going to allow you to set boundries and have rules in your home, I suggest you leave. This answer sucks but they only get worse when they become teenages and girls are mean...lol And if you are not up for the challenge go find what will make you happy.

Anywho78's picture

I'm sorry you're going through this...I really don't have any words of wisdom for you with regards to your feelings...but as for coping with the food & neediness...

My SO & I live with my SS8 & SD7. I instated what I call "THE KIDS SNACK SPOT" both in the pantry AND the fridge...anything NOT in said area is to be left untouched unless they get permission...it works really well!

Both of my resident Skids are very needy...I have started saying "go be independant" or "time for your independance" with a smile...this means that they are to LET GO OF MY HAND, or go sit on thier own or simply unattach themselves from my hip. They think it's funny & they are becoming more independant.

While you are in the picture with your BF, try viewing the Skids like you would nieces...with me, neices don't get away with murder, they are expected to listen/obey & are expected to show respect to others when in my care...I expect the same from my Skids...in your case, they aren't there on a full-time basis so it should be do-able if this idea works for you.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

momof5_1969's picture

from my understanding this is a good age to become a step mother ... they are young enough, but yes, being a step mom is harder than being a biological mom. You will never feel the same kind of love for them that you feel towards a biological child.

The thing with the fridge, you can tell them that they need to ask first before they go and start grazing in the fridge. One of my friends does that with her own biological children. I don't think that is unreasonable. I don't do that with my skids because a precedent was set before I came into the house. I just put post-its on things that they can't eat if I have plans for things for dinner, or hide it in the vegie drawer so they won't eat it.

My daughter knows to ask first before getting certain foods. I always told her though that as long as it was healthy it would be a yes -- ie fruit. But snackie foods she had to ask permission to eat them. Even to this day she asks and she's 17! It is nice to have a polite kid. (compared to the skids)

Read Stepmonster also before you make any final decisions about becoming a step mom. I do wish I knew then what I know now -- I would have stayed single. I love my husband, but this has been a very difficult thing to go through -- and my story isn't even as horrific as some. Simply said -- it is hard to be a step mom -- because you will never be their "real" mom -- no matter how wonderful and perfect you are.

SugarSpice's picture

my skids came into my life between the ages of 5 and 7.

there is no right age to come into a spouses life. they grew up to be monsters because their mother raised them and their father was a cowardly push over who never pressed for any boundaries.

i agree that the book step monster is a master piece.

JustPeachy22's picture

I love your attitude! I feel exactly the same way. I love my FDH and despite several annoying guilty daddy and FMIL adoration of the grandkids, I do have to say that FDH makes his kids clean up after themselves and mind him. I think at first we both thought that I would naturally step in to the mommy roll EOW- I now realize that is never going to happen. I have a BS13 and I don't want anymore kids, I want to focus on BS and the last 5 years I have with him. I have told FDH my opinion and I think it hurts a him, but I am in this relationship for HIM not skids or BS. I think his views on blending families are idealistic and come from the fact that his own stepdad was so awesome. I see absolutly nothing wrong with each of us being responsible for our own children while they are in the home and being honest about your feelings towards the other person's child. I would never hurt or harm skids in any way and if he absolutly needs me to babysit occasionally while he works over time, I will. But, I know in my heart that I will never be able to put his kids needs above my own BS's needs or above my marriage. Skids have a healthy, happy home with BM and SD.

herewegoagain's picture

If you have no kids, now is the time to move on. I have to say that because of some issues we had with BM and skid lying early on, I could never again get myself to want to enjoy being anywhere near that kid. Unfortunately, we already had a child together and thus I have stayed. Had it not been for my child and us having the opportunity to move away from her, I would probably not have lasted this long.

And DON'T feel guilty...here's the thing...it is NOT the same to give birth to a child, one who needs you, loves you, never talks back, smiles, etc...while they are a baby...and thus you are able to form a bond with them...and then as they get a little rowdy you are able to still deal with it, than it is to suddenly be given just the rowdy kid...It's not the same and will never be. Most men who complain that we don't love their kids as much as we should, or like our own, married women who HAVE NO KIDS...isn't that funny? Don't you find that interesting? And the very few who did have kids of their own, have done one of two things 1. given their new husbands the green light on parenting the kids or 2. the new DH doesn't love their kids the same as their own BIO kids, ie. what we normally refer to here as skids.

Good luck. Not trying to be harsh. But I wish I could go back in time and I know exactly how you feel.

PS - originally I called myself an SMOM, but rather quickly I didn't call myself an SMOM...that helped me deal somewhat...I called her "my husband's daughter"...and 'her father's wife"...

Zoie's picture

Well honestly you need to end this relationship before you are mean to these girls. I'm a SM and if I felt this way about my SD I would not be in her life.

You say these are good girls and they love you..but you dont feel the same way and you will never love them. This is not fair to these girls or to their dad and really it's not fair to you.

I truly think you need to find someone with no kids... I'm not trying to be mean here..but the writing is on the wall....you dont want these girls in your life period...

Z

unwillingparticipant's picture

I'm with you! I HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEE being a stepmother. However, this child is 50% my DH's so love my DH enough to "tolerate" it. 8 yrs, 3 mos & 4 days til he's 18 and out of the house!!!!

unbelieveable's picture

Ugh. I feel the same. Only the fsd's here are 6 and 8 and hellions. I have no interest in children but with all of the breeding going on in the world today - it makes it almost impossible to find someone WITHOUT kids. If I could forget my man...I would...and I would RUN. This has taken all and everything out of me. Good luck with whatever decision you make. Keep us updated.

SugarSpice's picture

i feel the same way. dh filled with guilt and let his skids get away with all kinds of rudeness. they mistreated him and used him, and also bad mouthed me without his lifting a finger in my defence. no matter what i did or did not do i was always the villain.

that goodness that i found the courage to draw the line and disengage. now the skids are making messes of their lives and the lives of the gskids.

i say nothing to help and find it all amusing.

darned confused's picture

If you do not have your own child(ren) please don't strap yourself with the responsibility of someone else's! If you get irritated by the small things, which I understand because that's ur space, wait till the big invasions start. Honey go find a man with no kids, or better yet no kids and sterile if you don't want kids at all.

lucky2bme87's picture

Well, don't listen to Zoie. I totally disagree. Those kids are not yours, nor will they ever be. ALMOST ALL (hello!!) talk about not liking/loving their skids. Isn't that why this site exists??? Anyway, it's NATURAL to not have those connections, because check it out you didn't give birth to those crumbsnatchers!

Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you. My SD7 is a very polite, sweet little girl. I don't dislike her, but I feel the same dread as you before she comes around. (I think it's because she's the spitting image of BM (ewww) :sick: ). However, just because you don't necessary like/love your FSKIDS doesn't mean your life will be hell like many of these stepparents make it out to be. Just treat them with respect and demand the same.

You're in a relationship with your FDH, not his kids. Think of it that way. BUT if you already have questions or any doubts about being with your BF for other reasons, then you can factor in the kids as another reason you might want to bail. There are plenty of fish in the sea! Smile

Zoie's picture

Ummmm Dont listen to what exactly??? I'm telling her to leave the relationship because she is very resentful of these girls and she does not want them in her life....these girls are very young and will be around for a very long time...

She needs to find a man without kids...that's all....

Z

newsm2011's picture

OH man...I have two step children and I feel the same way many of the times. I have never really gotten the hang of being around them. They are for the most part good children. But are very spoiled and needy and still use their parents divorce as an excuse for everything. I'm often sad about the wwhole situation sometimes. I have a new little baby with my husband, but man its hard being a stepmother. So I really don't have any advice but I know how you feel.

MarchMom11's picture

Yep, same here... He has 2 identical twin boys with his ex and a daughter with me. It can be sooo hard!!! I hate thinking about it, I just try to accept the fact he came with them and go on. Sigh*

SugarSpice's picture

i have two skids and when they were small the worse thing was feeling like i was the cook and the made. he would walk arm in arm with them while i tagged behind alone. dh was all over them as disney dad and his mini wives that when the bm dropped them off i ceased to exist. i hardly felt their father knew i was there as invisible cook and nanny. he only got me in his line of sight when he wanted you know what.

Stephgei2019's picture

I feel like this RIGHT NOW. I haven't been able to find work and now I'm pregnant. He always makes me feel guilty for not cooking and cleaning up after his children. I feel like they can do more to help and less messing up. My husband just throws his clothes all over the place and doesn't pick up after himself. I feel like the babysitter and the maid. I wasn't able to go after my dreams and some times my Sdaughter wants to copy me but I get annoyed. If I'm like singing something she like to mimic me. I think it's great that she has aspirations but I don't like the copying me part. I sometimes wonder if God put her into my life so that I could pass my gifts to her instead of my own kids. I don't know but I don't like the idea. I can already tell she would be one conceited prissy grown lady. Her personality also reminds me of her bio mom.

3terriers's picture

No easy answer here. At one point I was very excited to have some mom-like stuff to do, especially since I could not biologically have kids. After 6+ years I realize the limited influence I have and my true maternal instinct has never turned on, which I have mixed feelings about.

It is different than I expected - some things worse, many better than expected. Biggest surprise has been the change in relationship with DH. It's tougher than expected to be hubby and wifey, as he hasn't really learned how to balance being BD and DH. That said, I love him like crazy and know us being together is absolutely the right decision.

Wish2Bdramafree's picture

Oh my goodness, lilreenie, that's my story to the tee. I love FDH, but I am horrified! I was honest about my not wanting children from the start. I'm in my late 20's with a great career-to-be (I'll be a Doctor in 2 years), and the baby momma drama is SO much to deal with. I understand how you feel, don't feel bad. If you are good to the Step kiddo's and love your man, it's the best you can do. You're not alone!
Ps, thank god I found this site!!!

Keeptrying_theysay's picture

My FH and I have been together 4 years. We got together when his son was 1 and a half. The first year we were together we had issues with BM, since then things have cooled down with her, but her son, my SS's behavior keeps getting worse. I used to love the kid and we would play and I'd teach him things. But lately(he's 4 now) he has become mean and obnoxious. I blame the BM for creating an environment that is not healthy. We know for a fact she puts him in diapers(goodnites), and that is why he's not potty trained fully. He's outgoing, but has low self esteem, and at his BM he gets whatever he wants. He watches whatever he wants, plays games whenver he wants, gets his own snacks and eats whenever he wants. There is no discipline there.
At our house is a different story, he has rules, a schedule, a reward and discipline system, and it works for the week he's here. Then he goes to BM and it all comes undone. And when we try to talk about it with her she doesn't see it, doesn't get it. she thinks he's just the way he is.
It's frustrating trying to be the good parent and the good girlfreind/fiance'. We are torn between them and their kids, and they will always choose their kids. Even BD gets on me for "riding his son's ass". If he didn't need it, I wouldn't do it.
All this makes me worry about our future too, are we strong enough to make it, am I?
All I can say is, they are just kids, and take one day at a time. If he supports you in everyway and are willing to make the effort, maybe just maybe the child will grow up respecting you more than their own BP. I don't want to give up on the kid, and I don't want to let my best friend and FH down. Yes, at times I feel like a failure, and I don't feel like I'm making a difference, and he hates me, but that usually means I'm not trying hard enough, so I try harder and next thing I know he's telling me I'm cool, and he loves me.
There are going to be ups and downs, but stand by each other, and everything will be OK.

CharlieG's picture

I've just found this site, as I've been desperately searching for advice. I have two Skids 4 and 8 (girls) and they're are great kids, but I feel the same way. I care a great deal about providing them with a safe, happy, healthy environment and try my best to show them the right amount of affection.
However, we have them for four days every week, and every week I dread the idea of them coming back and I secretly can't wait for them to leave again.
I love their father a great deal, and have had to terminate two pregnancies because we couldn't afford another child. I think this adds to the inner resentment. Do these feeling ever actually get better? I'm getting worried seeing all of the advice on this site telling me to run while I still can.
I feel like it gets more and more difficult as time presses on but I stay in the hopes that one day, when I have a child of my own I'll be happy in this situation. My boyfriend loves me a lot and takes such good care of me, and his kids that I feel like I owe it to him to try.

Reznov's picture

(((HUGS))) You have to be in the most difficult situation of all. After terminating two pregnancies no one could blame you for feeling the way you do. It has to be near impossible to love your skids when you didn't have the chance to enjoy your own biological babies Sad

I don't think it does really get better, I think it just becomes normal for everyone involved. I hate being a SM but I love being DH's wife. That's what keeps me going. I tolerate ss4 and occasionally I'll hang out with him or play a game with him or something. But, I really do it for DH because I know it makes him happy. To be honest, I would prefer not to see, hear, or interact with ss4 at all. The amount of energy required to pretend to love someone when the true feelings aren't there is exhausting.

Jecausta's picture

I am coming into this conversation late... maybe should start a new thread but I am struggling with whether to commit to being a SM (I am 32 y/o nonparent, bf is 30). Long story short, after dating BF for a year he told me the girl he was 'casually dating' just before me got pregnant with what turned out to be his kid after DNA testing, so he has a baby daughter and is in a custody/support battle with the BM (who has been engaged to another guy since her pregnancy and whom she refers to as 'daddy' around the baby). In my first marriage (which ended w/o kids), my ex switched jobs and then went back to school, so we were in a diff't place financially, we couldn't take vacations, etc. because of his school schedule and cashflow, whereas I worked hard to be able to do/buy nice things. I fear that aspect, i.e. BF will always have to commit his time/$ to the kid (we are both professionals and BM works 9-5, so he'd have to pay quite a bit in support). I will always have to contribute the bigger share if we ever have a kid of our own, and probably have fewer kids or not be able to give my kid everything i want b/c most of his $ will go to his first child. BM's parents are funding her lawyer to fight tooth and nail for sole custody and max support from BF, BF is fighting back with his own $. The baby is 7mo now and everyone in BF's family adores her. I don't. Not surprisingly, there is some resentment and jealousy (and BF's brother and his wife just had a baby girl so focus is on the 2 new babies and I feel like an outsider)... But my BF wants me to 'try', says so many other blended families make it work and if I loved him enough I'd be willing to make some sacrifices (he does not expect me to parent his child but I'd have to put up with his having less time and $ for me/us).

Were it not for the kid, I'd agree to spend my life with him in heartbeat, he has everything I want in a partner, but reality is the kid and BM are in the picture, too. I'm scared to commit to SM life and find out the issues are more than I can take, not to mention I am aging out of the time to safely have kids of my own. Even though it kills me to have to let him go there is so much pain and uncertainty with the baby situation it is hard to see how things can work out in the LR. Any perspective is appreciated...

Ashleystepmom's picture

I too realized that I am so unhappy in the blended family situation. I adore my step daughter, the problem is not the kid. But more and more I just realized that step parenting situation is hell on earth.

I hate when people say, "OP, you are wrong, you have no say so in your step child's life. Kids come first."
I hate when people yell, "OP, you are selfish, and how can you argue or feel jealous of a child?"

Kids kids kids, other people's kids, so annoying.

If I can do it all over again, I will NEVER have married a divorced man with kid. The stupid bm forever in our lives, all these dramas involved, I am more and more resentful of my situation.

Youngwoman's picture

I agree with every single word. It is a life of solitude. There's no one I can just talk to because I will look like the bad guy and she's just a kid. Well I'm not a robot, I have feelings too. I love my stepdaughter but hate that she talks about her bm and stupid bm has to FaceTime every single time she's over at our house like ' give the kid room to breathe!' She wants to make sure the child feels like she's missing out whenever she's not with her. So were left with the kid complaining about being here with us. Wth I didn't sign up this ! I wish bio mom would just disappear.

boots415's picture

I like Anywho78's idea of the kid's snack spot. Your BF's kids are still young, and I think this would work quite well. Don't feel like a horrible person! Being a SM can be hard, but don't let other people's bad exeriences get you down. You didn't mention anything negative about your relationship - other than not loving the kids.

You said they are good girls and they adore you. That is half the battle right there! A lot of people on here talk about how awful their SK are and how they're treated like crap. You don't seem to have that problem. The only issue you seem to have is that you don't love them. I think that's completely normal. You didn't carry them for 9 mos. You didn't see them born. You didn't see them take their first steps. I've read that sometimes it can take several months to love your SK. Sometimes it can take years. And sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

After typing all this, I now see how old your post is. If you're still on here, please let us know what's going on.

poetrygul's picture

I am going through something emotionally draining I feel like a bad person.....my boyfriend(he calls me his wife but i dont think he knows what that is) found out he might have a child when he was away for 3 years about 6 months into him being away. I dont date men with children because I dont want to be a stepmother and I dont like the drama the.mothers never know their place so I usually just hang out with them get what I want and never ever take them seriously. Now that I have gotten older I dont like children at all I can deal with them but I dont want any I like my life without kids and everyone I know tell me wait as long as I can...he has been allowing the little boy to call him daddy he has not had a dna tedt I found out about it recently and im devastated.....he basically told me he does not care how I feel that by me not wanting him to see him until there is a test I am trying to "shape" his life and he also told me I think the baby is going
to take my place..... And Im pretty sure he has been telling other people that....i want to run away and never look back but I love him too much I dont know what to do.... I told him that I thought we were something we are not and I wont say anything but me saying that makes me feel like im settling I dont know im so confused everybody I know with kids say im being irrational he says it has nothing to do with me but if the kid is his it does and if I say I dont want nothing to do with the kid finacially or emotionally I would be wrong so how does it not have anything to do with it....am I being irrational????

Youngwoman's picture

RUN! I have a post at the end if this thread please read, of you feel bad now it only gets worse. I feel so bad for you but it's not worth it!

fedup13's picture

Poetrygul, is your BF going to start a relationship with this child without first knowing if he is the biological father?

NightOwl's picture

Help! I am in desperate need of advice.

I am currently in a relationship with a man who has a two year old son.
I have absolutely no interest in children, If anything I've always felt extremely awkward around them and I am unsure if I ever want any of my own.

This situation is tearing me apart, I am in my early 20's and feel very uncomfortable playing this role. From the offset I explained to my boyfriend that I've never been fond of children and that him having one would be a huge issue for me and one I could never guarantee I would get over (meaning that we could break up over it as I did with my ex)

I find myself dreading his son coming to stay (every other weekend). we only have a one bedroom flat so his son has to share a room with us which means that from about 8pm when he puts his son to bed on the Friday and Saturday of every other weekend my bedroom is off limits to me, my boyfriend won't even let me tip toe in to retrieve a phone charger or a book as he says I'll just wake him up, in fact if I even go to leave the living room I get constant reminders to stay quiet and not turn the light on etc. this also means his kids bed is constantly in the middle of our bedroom, there are plastic light up stars on the walls and a painted Disney character, I feel like it's not my room at all, I spend 0 time in there, my boyfriend has said he'll paint the walls but nothing has happened.
I feel so resentful of this situation, I hate sharing a room with this kid, I feel like I can't move around incase I make any noise and wake him up if I want to use my phone for anything my boyfriend turns the sound and screen light down, I understand that this child needs to sleep but I feel like a guest in my own bedroom, if his child wakes up crying he puts him in our bed and it makes me soo uncomfortable, I move to the very edge of the bed and lay awake all night.

I hate myself for feeling so resentful of this poor toddler, I don't let anything show infront of him and he's actually rather fond of me but I can't reciprocate, I feel I will always find him to be a nuisance and not an addition,

His dad Is no help, used to not drain the bath out after bathing his son and would just leave all the toys in there, he'd leave his bottles all over the place, in the kids bed, under the bed, wherever it fell, by the time I'd find it it'd have gone off solid milk inside which as my boyfriend works and I don't would be my job to clean out, he'd also leave the kids toys strewn all over the floor and forget to bin nappies. He's picked up on all of this since I've voiced my disconcert.

Not long ago I mentioned him having a child still being an issue for me and he just got angry and told me to 'get over it', he couldn't understand my view point in the slightest. We recently broke up over this situation but got back together on the same day on the condition of him making a few changes re the state of the bedroom, his lack of discipline in areas I feel VERY strongly about - how his child treats my pets, but I feel like this will always remain an issue for me.

My boyfriend regrets becoming a parent soo young and I think he resents it, he doesn't show much interest in playing with the child. He hate the early mornings that come with parenthood an has on a few occasions expected me to get up amuse the child so he can sleep for an extra hour (the kid likes spendin time with me but he's there to spend time with his dad) I have said this and that I don't see why I should have to get up early, it's not my responsibility, he's very easily irritated by the child so even if he gets up and let's me sleep for another hour it doesn't take long before I'm asked to watch the child so he can step outside for a cigarette I de stress before he kills him.

I have said I probably won't want any kids and my boyfriend has said he's happy with just his son, this offends me, I can't help feeling like he was happy to have one with his ex but not with me.

I don't know what to do, I'm putting up with a lot because my boyfriend works and I don't so I feel i ought to be grateful and just go along with this (I have a mental illness and it makes holding down employment difficult, I'm starting to look for work but I'm terrified) but for now he pays the bills.

I just think they'd be better off with somebody who actually likes children, when his child plays up or starts crying I don't think "aww maybe he's tired" or anything remotely sympathetic, I just think I can't wait for him to shut up, and yes I guess I am jealous that I would never be my boyfriends main priority, my ex had a kid so I haven't been somebody's main focus in a relationship since I was 18, I'm sure that must be better than this.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Youngwoman's picture

Night owl,

TRUST ME when I say this, IT DOESNT GET EASIER.

If you need him financially to survive then I suggest you start planning for a life of misery with no way out. Right now, you have the chance to rid yourself of the situation. If I were you, I will definetely push myself to find a means for myself because sooner or later it will not only be the nuisance of having a stepchild, soon you will be expected to play your role and you will end up needing to get a job anyways.

I have been married to my husband for 2 years now ( 2 years as a stepmom). Before I was married, I worked and payed my own bills, went out to eat whenever and with whoever I wanted and bought myself whatever I wanted. I didn't have to worry about anything or anyone. Flash forward to now, I constantly fight with my husband about money although I work my a** off and don't even spend money on myself. I spend my time and resources working all the time, buying groceries and necessities only to go home and cook and clean the house (that I never have privacy in) we had to get(but can't afford) because we need a room for the stepdaughter. My current situation only allows me to vent out my frustrations. My only wish is to turn back time and choose to remain single.

Youngwoman's picture

Hey everyone,

THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL CONSIDERING STEPMOTHERHOOD.

It's nice to read all of your posts every now and then because A. There is absolutely NO ONE I can talk to about my frustrations, and B. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone.

As written in my reply ^ I am a stepmom for 2 years to a 7 yr old, no kids, and married to my 1st husband, living each day hoping that it will get easier but it never does. I too dread the weekends as my stepdaughter comes and stays til monday. I also dread the summer time because that means the fri-mon that she's here becomes fri-wed on occasion . I hate the feeling but I also hate feeling like a maid in my own house every time the weekend rolls around. I mean, the weekends are supposed to be for winding down! :? When I was dating my husband, we always went out on the weekends. it was fun and carefree. Upon our marriage we made a pact to keep it that way but guess what. NO. Nothing will ever go your way again. I don't walk out of my house on the weekends unless it's for the kid. SAD, I know.

The bio mom slept around and was a filthy whore to my husband and left her newborn baby at the time to go sleep around in a different state. She has since then, moved back, started living with a guy and rushed to marry him as soon as she heard of our marriage. Now she's lording it over and thinks she's the worlds greatest mom and so does my stepdaughter. I want so badly and fight myself every day to not tell my SD about her filthy mother but I don't want to be the villain. I just let it be. I just have to live and deal with her bragging about how much she loves her bio mom and talks about her at all times. It seriously kills me inside.

And you wanna know what I do? The same exact things that she does. I play with her, make her meals tuck her to bed kiss her booboos get her showers ready , clean up after her, poop on the toilet and all. But do I get any of the appreciation. No, and trust me it will never happen. My husband is well meaning but does his own thing. I no longer can sit on my own bed and just BE. She comes in lugging all her toys and leaves them everywhere for me to pick no matter how many countless times we tell her to pick up after herself.

I am never made aware (although I ask to be) if she is staying an extended time and when she's here it's about her. I spend no time with my husband at all. I have tried to make hobbies for myself but it always seems like 'I don't want to spend time with the family' wth. It's never ending trying to please them. Whenever I try to do something fun (and expensive) with her like the zoo or the waterpark she always makes a fuss at the end and says she didn't have fun. Completely ungrateful. But I'm supposed to be the adult and just suck it up like some sort of robot.theres only so many feeling of rejection and loneliness I can take.

Marriage is supposed to be the big moment in your life and hopefully everyone will be joyful for you and then you have kids but it's not that way at all. The wedding will be totally overlooked because the conversation will always be about the child no matter what. You cannot have. Normal relationship with husband family because there will always be a first wife and she will always come up in conversation and of course the kid takes the show always.

Nowadays I just pretend to be tired and go to my bed with the lights off, only way I can get any peace and quite anymore. I wish everyday that I can take it all back and be single again. I had dreams of traveling and relocating, husband was up for it then but now it seems we cannot because bio mom lives here and it's impractical.

My wish is to never have to see, communicate with bio mom in school functions or any time in life. I wish that she can get deported for being lazy. It seems cruel but ultimately I wish i married a man without a child, I wish that my husband didn't have a child or that this child was my biological child. Any other situation than the one I am currently in.

I can go on and on but what's the point.
All of you who are considering what life would be like, well here it is.

DONT DO IT..
It doesn't matter if the child is a good kid. You are not marrying your man, you are sacrificing your like to someone else's child.

Also, if any of you need a friend to talk to, I'm always open to exchanging email or info. Hope we can all make it through this with some dignity.

Sadasusual's picture

Your post hits spot on with my life. I've been living with my boyfriend for a little over a year, and he has his son every other weekend. I know all about pretending I'm tired and pretending to sleep so I can be alone. Half the time I end up taking a sleeping pill and crying myself to sleep. My life is not heading in the direction that I've always dreamed. But I love my boyfriend and our relationship when the kid is not around or spoken of.

uofarkchick's picture

I'm so sorry you're hurting like this. It's hard to work up enthusiasm for a child that isn't yours. But his son isn't going anywhere. Do you want to keep up the charade for the rest of your life? You may want to re think the relationship if it's bringing you down like this.

k.overit.'s picture

I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years now. He has his 3 daughters (7, 10, 12) full time. BM is currently out of the picture and has been for about 2 years. 
At the beginning,the whole idea of a family seemed so fun. I fell in love with my boyfriend because of the way he talked about and loved his girls. He seemed like an amazing dad that would do anything for his kids. I mean, a single dad that has full custody of his 3 little girls? Be still, my ovaries! I immediately jumped right in - cleaning his house, buying things for the kids, playing with them.. things were pretty great. 

Fast forward to now.. I moved in 9 months ago and now I'm pretty much miserable. Because of Covid the kids have been home for a year. I am also in school so I'm at home with them all day every day. I'm so sick of my life revolving around these kids. They aren't terrible by any means, I just don't like them! The younger two wet the bed still and are afraid of literally everything (they share a bed at night even though they have bunk beds and will sob if they have to lay in bed alone). The lose or break everything they touch. The house is constantly a mess no matter how much I ask them to clean up. Their dad says we are on the same page with giving them chcores and things, but then doesn't help enforce or follow through with them. They are so needy and dependent! They can't entertain themselves at all.

My boyfriends parents live next door (literally 12 feet away) and the two houses might as well be connected. My boyfriend works 6 days a week so for years the grandparents have been watching/caring for the kids. I didn't realize that they were also the only ones doing any kind of parenting, if you can even call it that. They are the grandparents, not parents, so the kids never hear "no" and have zero structure, responsibilities, or expectations when they are with them. I have rules/expectations/structure I think they should follow (not going to sit on electronics/watch tv all day, clean up after yourself, bathe, don't eat candy for breakfast and ice cream for lunch and ramen for dinner, bed times and wake up times, etc) so all they want to do is "go next door" or "say hi to grandma" every 20 minutes". It's disgusting. 

Also my boyfriend is WAY TOO close/dependent on his parents! Before I came along, his mom used to do his dishes, do his laundry, even make his bed for him every morning. She did almost all of the cooking, cleaning, and grocery shopping. Now I pretty much do the shopping, we both cook and he does help with house chores but I'm home more so I do it more often. But he still dumps the kids on them any chance he gets. I work nights and weekends (basically opposite of him), and whenever I'm not home iit seems like he pretty much lets them destroy the house then sends them next door so he can go do what he wants to do.

His parents have no boundaries! They come and go I  and out of our house and bedroom !! Whenever they please. They schedule things like ac repair, painters, bug people etc. without letting me know (when I'm the one that will be at home) and just let these people into my house without a second thought. They don't consult with me on anything and I get no respect! But I'm supposed to just sit there and smile and not get emotional or upset because "that's his family and they're not going anywhere"

At this point I can barely look at any of them. I don't even like hugging them or talking to them. 

I do love my boyfriend. He is the kindest man I've ever met. But idk if I can live like this anymore. I want a child of my own someday and idk if I want to have to parent that child with him.. since he can't even parent his own kids! 
Am I just being a huge jerk?? Is this something I can get over with therapy?? I'm getting so resentful because I wanted to buy a house and get married and have a child, but I feel like we will never love away from his parents! He says he never wants to get married again, and currently says he'd have one more kid but has gone back and forth on that in the past.

idk what I'm hoping to hear.. I just don't want to lose this good man because I'm being selfish and a brat!

sarasmile0926's picture

I would have to agree and say to run now! It doesn't get easier...and it is forever!! First it is the kids but when the BM finds out you will be around forever it will start to be her and the skids plotting against you. It's a lot to deal with on a day to day basis and if I could do it again I would just have stayed single! Sad

Missingme's picture

So true how the skids plot with scorned mommy to ruin any happiness dad might have with his wife. If only daddies could pull their heads out of their guilty butts to realize it. All of the drama would stop if they acted a bit more like Rags here (men) with cajones. Unfortunately they grew up with the same dysfunction they now must commandere or acquiesce to. Usually the latter.

Mentalgirl48's picture

BRAVO BRAVO!!! Well said!!! NOT losing or sacrificing yourself is the best thing you can do in these situations since it is not your child..I am getting there myself! Its hard to overlook certain things these kids do but in the long run..IM NOT THEIR PARENT..my time is MY time...I don't have to be their slave..but DAD does...When they are here I do and do MY own thing too!!!
It works for me as well. I don't feel TIED and BOUND to these two lazy brats that arent mine to worry about!!

YAY US!!!

Rags's picture

I am not a big fan of the disconnection/disengagement thing. I am far more a fan of 'it's my life and I am in control of it'.

My wife, my marriage, my home, my rules, like it or suck it up. I couldn't care less. Of course I have to accept the same perspective from my bride. Fortunately we have figured out how to meld our lives and just about everythign else including parenting my Skid.

One thing that bonded us very quickly in our mutually supportive perspective within our marriage was to address the Sperm Clan's toxic and polluted influence on our kid. They tried to inject that same crap into our marriage and our family but we put a stop to that crap in a hurry. After the first rounds of dealing with their toxic crap we were in lock step on making destruction of the Sperm Clan a priority in order to protect our kid (my Skid) from the shallow and polluted end of his gene pool.

I struggle with the concept that there can be a quality marriage when such a huge part of that marriage does not integrate the partners in the marriage to work and deal with it together.

As my bride and I are equity partners in our marriage we are also equity parents to any children in our home regardless of their biology. The blended family opposition can either work reasonably with us or they can fuck off. Their call. One way we will work with the them, the other we will do everything in our power to destroy them and minimize their influence on our kid. Their call.

mimi719's picture

You asked this question on a site full of hurt, broken-hearted, wonderful people whose efforts and good intentions cause fights with their spouse.

When in doubt - don't.

strugglingSM's picture

I tried that...sending my SS a text to ask how school was or even just to remind them to bring things. No response. I find that even when I start to feel generous toward them or actually build a relationship, it just doesn't go anywhere. I'll plan something that I think will be fun and they aren't interested or I reach out to them and they ignore me. I've moved to disengaging, not because my feelings are hurt necessarily, but because I just don't think it's worth the effort. My SSs get along with me and we don't have any drama, but we don't really have any connection. They are starting to lose their connection with their father as well, because they don't respond to him or answer his calls, either. I feel bad for DH, but I can't make them change.

It's a challenge to feel ok with being a stepmom, because I feel more like the nanny or the innkeeper and I feel as if my life is not my own when they are around. But, I'm starting to just make my own plans when they are here. They don't care, but my DH thinks we should all do everything together "as a family" when they are around and I feel that pushing my life aside when they are around is just a recipe for disaster.

ChanelRose21's picture

Hello. I’m new to this site but am so happy to find it. I have been with my Fiancé for 4 years he has 2 Sons ages 7 & 13. I was 18 when my fiancé and I started dating and everything was ok. He was currently separating from his ex wife. I thought I could take in the responsibility of two kids that aren’t mine. I can’t take it. I don’t like or even love his kids and regret when they have to come over. Mind you that isn’t often we get them only on the 1st 3rd and 5 th weekends of the month. But when they are here I would rather shoot myself then be around them. I feel guilty and like I am a terrible person. At the beginning I put forth a lot of effort because I thought that’s what a good gf and FSM would do. After a while though it began to get draining and I began to realize I didn’t like his kids. They aren’t bad boys they are both very good children don’t get me wrong. I just can’t take having them around. I feel like a 40 year old woman in a 22  year olds body. 

Just this morning. I got up to go to his sons game, that I didn’t want to go to or ever want to go to, and he got upset saying he only wants me to go if I want to go. But if I don’t pretend to Want to go my Fiancé throws his tantrum and is pissed off about it. So I feel even worse because he wants me to WANT this but I don’t. I cook and clean and play with his kids. I do what I am supposed to do for them and do whatever my fiancé wants me to do for them. I just feel trapped and suffocated. 

My fiancé says he wants me to do whatever I Want to do but when I do that he gets mad that I don’t Want to be there for his kids. 

Am I wrong? I feel like I have to pretend to Want to be thee for his kids just so I can avoid him getting upset that it Isnt what I Want. My heart aches because I just feel like nothing I do is good enough. He acts like I should treat his kids like they came out of my Vajayjay. 

But they are NOT my kids nor do I WANT them to be. I think I’m just tired of it all but yet I keep trying. 

Mommiedearest66's picture

Stop living my life! Haha. I totally feel you here. It’s so hard to fake all the time that you want to do these things. It seems more draining than it should be, I honestly just stopped. This was my first issue with my fiancé’s kid. Not only did I not want any kids of my own but I definitely didn’t see myself acting as a SP but yet here I am. Still dreading every weekend. Wishing we could get out of every dance recital and stupid river trip. I had to finally sit down with him and just say it. It’s hard to care for someone else’s kid. I don’t know if I’ll ever love her or like her but I love you and that’s why I’m here. Just try to make it seem like you want it to work out ya know. We fought quite a bit about. Still do. It’s been three years and I still can’t get out of beds some weekends because I don’t want to have to see what the living room turned into. Or what plans she may think she has planned for us. I just try to fake that same smile. But some days I don’t even try and that’s when our biggest fights happen. Just know you’re not alone. It sucks feeling like a terrible person just because you don’t automatically love this little person like their parent does. You don’t have to. It will take work. It will be really hard and from what I’m reading on this thread it doesn’t look like it gets much easier ha. 

limeybrit's picture

I was worried that I was posting in my sleep or something... because I could have written your post!

It's oddly comforting that there are others going through the same thing. Not that I would wish this on anyone, but that I am not weird with how I feel. It's almost... "normal." And you said it perfectly that parents don't understand that someone they love doesn't automatically love their child like they do. But we never will.  And they're so consumed with this great "change" they go through when becoming a parent that they can't even really see it from a non-parent's point of view.

Mommiedearest66's picture

I am just so glad I’m not alone here ha. It really makes a difference knowing you’re not a terrible person for having these feelings. It is normal. Like you said. Just weird and makes you feel uneasy talking about it. It’s just something we all have to work on. Not making ourselves love the children, but making it aware that we can’t love them as deeply as the parents. I think that is a lot of our issues. It’s so hard to be the outsider in a family that was already built before you got there. 

ldvilen's picture

No one does--want to be a stepmother--after the fact.

Does anyone want to be a SM after the fact?  I truly don't think so.  When you think about it, what is your reward?  For the most part, no one, including society as a whole, ever rewards SMs.  They tolerate them, at best, and in some cases, even go out of their way to "punish" them for what tends to be perceived or displaced wrongs vs. genuine ones. 

But, I think after a while pretty much every SP starts to realize this, and realizes they have to either get out or try to make the best of it.  The key is to recognize someone else's step-BS when you hear it or see it and not let it get to you.  Very difficult to do, esp. given the gang mentality that seems to exist around condeming SMs.  That and disengaging are about our only two weapons, sans divorce.

Lantel's picture

I know how you feel..well how most of you ladies feel.

And everything I do just seems to make the matter worse.

I'm in my early almost mid 20s. And dating and living with an amazing guy.  We did the way too early moving in together.. which we both realized after the first few months. Now it's happily been going on for 8months with no possible breakups.

Well that's until he mentions his 3year old daughter. She is a great kid personality wise with no manners (which is mostly her BMs fault)

And which me as SM is trying to correct with alot of trouble. Like today I was about an inch away of smacking her bottom for back chatting me and her father. (He isn't even sure if he is BF and recently he said he  will do a paternity test to make sure because I refuse to have kids if he is not even sure if his own daughter is his.) Let's just say BM liked to sleep with everyone of the friends circle.

Me and DH met randomly and just fell inlove instantly..it was just immediately and we didn't find faults not even after a year. Except his kid. BM hasn't in 3 years given him a birth certificate. I mean come on...

SD also has DHs best friends eyes and skintone? 

Long story short..I always feel pushed out.. Like tonight. We were in bed and when I ask for a drink it's a no but when she asked she gets it without hesitation.

Last night was Christmas eve. And he then eent to go lay by her and not by me. I'm like wtf? Hello????! I'm also here. I also want snuggles. I paid for most of her gifts because I was the one who.done shopping. She got a shit ton of stuff and I had to wrap it. And guess what I.got from him? a second thought gift-he bought me.a dog

He tries to envolve me with disciplining her but I know I was raised strict and organized. I'm studying to become a Chartered accountant.. so stuff is very different for me.

Whereas he has been raised laid back.. could steal daddy's car at 14 stuff like that? I mean yes big difference in education while raised. And now I want to put my foot down and he softens my landing? I even told him to man up? Which he is only starting now. 

I don't know. Why I subscribed but I have to.say I feel alot better. 

StayTrue's picture

will it get better? I will say no. 

I thought it woukd get better for me, it didn’t. My SD isn’t awful yet but she just gets annoying. My husbands family has expectations of me loving all over the girl, which I have no desire to do.

I love on my my kids because its natural to me. If I was to love on my SD I feel forced. She is nice and fine. She says I am smart and fair. If my husband and I split would I want some girl loving all over them, hell no. 

At the end of the day do I miss her? No. I saw someone posted its not fair to the kid.. i grew up thinking mt grandpa didn’t like me but did I see it as unfair no. Shit not all kids have to be liked. If you are fair and look to benefit/aid the child in a healthy way, that is good enough. 

Sometimes I dont even like being around my own daughter does that make me unfair? NO. Sometimes kids are annoying. 

If I could redo it all, I would have had pursues mt goals first and see where I landed. I woukd not live my life around my SD. Right now I have lived in areas that are poor for my career but close to my SD BM for my husband. Personally, do I feel like that helped me or made things better.. not for me, maybe for my husband. 

Everyone is different. Some people love their SKIDS but everyones custody is different and that really can change things. For example, someone who only sees their skids every few weeks might like it better than someone with split custody. Considering some of the comments, I would keep that in mind. 

Loxy's picture

No one wants to be a step-parent and what you are feeling is entirely normal. They say it takes 7 years to form a successful blended family, many don't ever get there (as this site can attest). 

I've been a stepmother for 14 years now and I can honestly say I would never have done it had I any indication of how hard it was going to be. That doesn't mean I feel regret it though, and I would definitely classify us as a successful blended family even though I don't like my SD much, but it's been such a hard and long slog to get here and I can feel myself running out of steam since I had my bio son (who is now 3).

It doesn't matter now nice the skids are, it's not natural trying to bond with kids that are not your own and who add mostly hard work to your life. You don't get what all other new couples get ie that selfish time where it's just the two of you. Instead you have to share your partner with skids and give up half your life (or whatever custody arrangement you have) to look after someone else's kids. To be blunt, it's the shittest job in the world.

Does it get better? I think it can get better but it will depend on a couple of very important things:

The most important thing is unity between you and your boyfriend. Does he make you feel like one of the family or an outsider? Do you have a say in discipline and how things work for the skids? Are you aligned on discipline? If you don't answer yes to all of these questions then I would say you are doomed - you only need to read all the posts on here to see that. 

Realistic and aligned expectations. Most of us come into this situation with naive expectations and fall flat on our faces when it turns out so differently to what we expect. Research shows that couples in blended families who go to counselling have a much higher chance of staying together. My DH and I went to counselling and it was the best thing we ever did.

Counselling - I would also recommend individual counselling for you to process and work through the feelings of resentment you are having. It's not a miracle cure but it does help.

My experience: I spent the first 4-5 years feeling nothing but resentment for my skids, I saw them as a chore and dreaded them cover over (and we had 50/50 custody). This period was hell and I ended up on anti-depressants. Through counselling, I managed to stop putting pressure on myself to like/love my skids and accepted that whatever would be would be. 

Over time, I lost that dread of the skids coming over and that high level of resentment but it never went away completely. I've always maintained some resentment as they make my life harder work and more difficult, I've never missed them when they are not here and I'll always prefer the skid-free periods of my life but it isn't something I dwell on much anymore becuase I've accepted this is my life. 

As for bonding, if your skids are nice kids then I think it's highly possible you can bond with them over time as long as you work through your resentment (preferably via counselling). 

I was able to bond with my SS15 eventually and love him but have never got there with my SD16. We don't have a bad relationship ie it's friendly enough and she's not rude to me or anything nasty like that but we are complete polar opposites and I find her off the charts annoying to live with. She also has a lot of traits that I just don't like and I would never choose to spend time with someone like her (let alone live with her) if I had a choice. She's a clone of BM which is very frustrating. 

So at this point for me I'm just biding my time until she's 18, at which time I'm desperately hoping she chooses to live with BM full-time as I honestly feel like I'm depleted when it comes to her and feel really over it. 

Bottom line - it's a big commitment to take on skids for 10-15 years and one you need to think very hard about. I would advise counselling for both you and your partner and you alone before making any big decisions as no matter how it turns out, it's going to be a long and hard road but there is also hope too!

Missingme's picture

Nope, it will not get better and deep inside I think you know it. Break up and find a man without kids. Best.