You are here

I can never catch a break!

MsNiceguy's picture

Now my BF is questioning if my life is just cursed! The stuff that happens to me that is beyond my control is crazy. I have a crappy job that should be a good job but because of outsourcing, I get paid peanuts. My ex has abandoned his children and will not pay child support, so we have to go the entire summer without that. We just can't seem to catch a break and have any fun in life, the stress is just overwhelming, and I think BF is actually getting tired of my cursed life. He said something like he can't do this anymore.

Last night we finally got to go out on a date for the first time and months. He got barenaked ladies tickets. Well, the day did not start out well, and it was a disaster throughout. We argued all morning about the fact that I have been his girlfriend for over a year now. His children are getting dedicated at church tomorrow and I thought it might be nice to go with him for support. Apparently, that didn't go over well with either of them. I can understand why his ex doesn't want me there, but isn't that the BF's job to stick up for me? He was so upset that I even asked, and when I wanted to forget about it, he couldn't and the argument ensued about how I feel I have to be the invisible girlfriend and I can only be his girlfriend where his kids are not concerned. He didn't agree with that, but I'm still hurt.

Onto the concert...This was the first time I was going to leave my kids home alone, 14 and 9. It was not easy, and I had those concerns on my mind, not to mention the rest of my stressed-out day.

We got into the car and MrNiceguy stopped being a nice guy. When we get stuck in traffic, he screams like a banshee, and I was completely uncomfortable. I asked him to stop, and he did not, I told him to stop, and he did not, only defended his actions saying he can't help it. By the time we got to the concert, my nerves were frazzled. He didn't think we would have time to eat, so I got upset because I had waited all day for this and I needed to eat. He grudgingly agreed, and so we ate, and believe it or not we made it to the concert on time.

You would think we could try to have some fun, and I did try, but my IBS (irritable bowel) flared up right as the concert was beginning to start! I spent the majority of the concert sitting in a bathroom stall - it was pure hell! I stuck it out as long as I could because I didn't want to ruin his fun, but I finally had to request that we leave on the last song. On the way home, he was near to tears because of our stressed out life. I feel like my life is cursed and there is nothing I can do about it. It's like I don't deserve to be happy for some reason. I looked like a total jerk last night. He even had a friend with us, so I had to look like a party pooper. Why is this happening to me? It is so unfair! Oh, and I can't see a doctor about my IBS because I can't afford health insurance, so I guess I just have to suffer!

Gwen's picture

You poor thing! Holy moses. You're like Winnie the Pooh with the little black rain cloud. Where is Fearless, BioMom? Quick, ladies, say something funny and make Ms.NiceGuy laugh, she could use it!!

Frankly, your BF needs a lot more education on what it means to have a significant other in his life, when he is a divorced dad. Perhaps this might be one of those events where early in a relationship (I think a year is still pretty early, I know people will disagree, but just my humble opinion), and where you are not married, it makes sense for you to hold back on going. But BF should be pleased that you care enough about him to offer, not upset!! That's an unhealthy response, and a signal re: what you need to work on together if you plan to make your relationship more permanent, before you make it more permanent.

Honestly, it sounds like it's too early in his emotional separation from the old family for him to give proper respect to a new relationship. He's keeping them and you entirely separate in his head, and that's a problem. My now-DH was exactly the same way the first couple of years, only I refused to see the signs. My determination to "do it right" as by the kids contributed to the problem, b/c I'd never been in that situation before either, so I didn't know where to draw the lines.

As for never getting a break, I *totally* hear you. You just have to laugh or you'll cry. It will turn around though, it always does. (If you want tips on managing IBS w/out medication, let me know. 15 year survivor, no medication. I'll shoot you a private email.)

Cruella's picture

I feel the same way. I can't go into details but BM makes sure she ruins EVERY vacation we have not matter what. We may or may not be able to go on our vacation this year to see my family. This is the ONLY time I get to see my parents. All of my family is getting together for a mini reunion. I want to be there but because BM pulled her crap BF may not be able to go with me. She wins every time. We can't plan a thing because we have to let a series of events play out before we can plan a thing. This is stressing me out so badly that it has totally taken every joy I had looking forward to being on vacation. I can't change my vacation time. I will lose it and the company won't pay me for it. She managed to ruin our vacation the 3rd year in a row.

Sebbie's picture

De inimico non loquaris sed cogities.
I don't have IBS, but I do have Crohns disease, which is very similiar to IBS, but unfortunatly alot worse. Believe me when I say you have got to find an outlet to the stress. Make up your mind to just back off for right now, when it comes to bf and his kids. The stress that you allow in only compounds the IBS, and in fact can make it so much worse. It is believable that you had an episode the night of the concert with the stress you were under the whole day. There are also alot of different things I do to manage my disease, and I would be happy to share if you would like. The IBS is controllable, but you are the only one who can control it..have to take care of yourself sweetie.

MsNiceguy's picture

I can't even plan ahead for sex because I will most definitely have a stomachache. I can't control what is going on in my head, but I know the stress definitely contributes to the IBS. My high-stress times are always the worst. I know I have problems when I wake up in the morning with a stomachache or I spent all evening in the bathroom. My stress and anxiety affects me physically, which ticks me off to no end. How in the world can I control the anxiety level so that it doesn't affect my stomach so much? It seems like just about anything sets it off and I spend most of my days in a worried anxious state. I'm reading some self-help books and seeing a therapist. I picked up Relationship Rescue, one of you had suggested, as I think it is important that I work on myself first, so that's a start. As far as medications, I would love to try some out, but again I have no health insurance. I only qualified for free counseling.

MsNiceguy's picture

And I feel 100% better now. The stomach pains are gone and I am feeling none of the guilt that my depression was causing me to feel for no reason. Thank God for the $4.00 drug list.

anncanbike's picture

I know about the Crohns - my husband has it. He tried some IV thing and got his immune system down & came up with shingles (long-term type). I have to "help" him 24/7 with his health -- although he's younger than me at the age of 45. I also know if giving him crap caused him stress, so I must be very selective about bones to pick as he'll be sick from the fight vs. me using a box of tissues up crying. I think your significant other needs to be educated about your illness & the affect he can have. Needless to say, meals are limited due to what agrees w/him, breakfasts are nonexistent -- his stomach hurts first thing in the morning and eating makes it worse.
Total opposite of me. I'm a pig about eating ALL foods. My husband married me b.c. it was obvious that I don't just love him, I care about him. He never got that from 1st wife, or other people as no one believed he had a real problem.

Sebbie's picture

The best thing you can do for yourself is to try and eliminate stress as much as possible. Meditation, exercise, and counceling are a good start. Unfortunatly anxiety is a big player in IBS, try to eliminate all alcohol, caffine,(soda's, coffee, tea) and unfortunatly even chocolate. You need to watch closely what you are eating as foods high in fat(fried foods) will cause definate gastric upset.Milk products also have a high incidence in causing flair ups. You can add more fiber to your diet, veggies ect, but do it in moderation as too much at one time can cause severe gas pains.Think about adding a fiber drink or pill to your diet. Overall, if you can get on any kind of medical assistance this would be to your benefit as a doctor would likely prescribe a antianxiety or antidepressant, as these have shown to help abdominal discomfort and slow diarreha and help with alternating constipation and gas. There are also other wonderful new medications for the treatment of IBS. So check into your local health department ect. for some assistance. As for your other issues, believe me it is all livable and you are not cursed. My ex has chosen to not maintain a relationship with our children as well, doesnt pay support, my job sucks too, and to top it all off what income dh and I have set aside over the past three years is being quickly consumed by the attorney we have hired to take dh ex back to court. The only thing that APPEARS cursed about your life(as your life appears to have similar struggles to everyone elses) is that your b.f has a really lousey attitude, and some obvious road rage....Its all well and good that he can tell you in honesty that he doesnt feel like he can " do this anymore", but what about the things YOU are dealing with. Does b.f have no sympathy or empathy in that he cannot recognize that you are having to deal with HIS ex issues and a medical problem as well. Was his life going so well before you came along??If so why is he divorced? And what exactly is it b.f cant deal with? That he has a g.f. who loves him, works hard for him and family( without the assistance of her own ex!), attempts to create moments of FUN together, wants to be apart of not only his life but his childrens? To put the responsibility of his happiness on you is wrong to begin with,WE ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR OWN HAPPINESS! Can you honestly tell me why you are so bothered that you looked like a jerk and party pooper? Honestly, it seems to me that your party was pooped on before it even got started by b.f and his attitude. As for your own personal happiness, look inward instead of outward...you obviously have two beautiful children that you love very much,( and that makes you a very rich woman) you have a job..yes it sucks and you get paid "peanuts", but you have a job none the less, and maybe you can put some time aside somewhere to look for something new.I am hoping other than the IBS, you are a healthy woman and that counts for alot.The fun we have in life comes in different ways, if you are seeking the fun that only money can buy, your sure to have many disappointments. Make a board game night with b.f and kids...movie night at home...start a small garden, take long walks on tree lined trails, take up sketching, painting, ect. There is so much joy out there, we must only look inside to find it.

MsNiceguy's picture

Thanks so much for those kind words of wisdom. The IBS info was very helpful, and I also have a bit of good news. I found a clinic that will take me with no health insurance, and they have set up an appointment with me tomorrow. Wish me luck and send good vibes. I'm scared to death of doctors so I'll probably have a nice stomachache to greet the doctor with. I'm definitely going to ask about anti-anxiety meds because that is probably the most contributing factor to this, since I have already tried to adjust my diet and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I like to eat fish and veges, but even on those days I have problems. I've even had to swear off Mexican food, which used to be a favorite of mine. I know my attitude has got to change, and I can't let his miseries dismantle my attempts at trying to be happy despite all my stresses. He used to care about my troubles, so much so that he left his wife because he thought he could bring more to my life. We talked and talked about it until we were blue in the face, and I remember distinctly telling him that the grass was not greener on my side of the fence. He knew I was a financial nightmare, and he knew full well I had a deadbeat dad for my kids. He knew what I was looking for (a stable husband for myself and my children), and yet he was determined that my life would be better with him. I tried dating other men, but none of them were ready to step up to the plate, and he couldn't stand to see me date other men anymore. His jealousy made his decision for him. I refuse to hold myself responsible for his choices anymore. I have my own stresses to deal with, and I have been trying these past few weeks to change my attitude so I could start seeing the glass as half full because I have always had negative thoughts that have torn me down and made me feel like a loser. I felt like a party pooper because it seems like every time I am around his friend, I never seem to be having any fun. He said something to my BF about me not ever being happy. I'm sure BF was happy to hear that, so he could feel justified, even though, you are correct, he had ruined my day with his attitude and road rage and it was kind of difficult to get back to my happy state just because we were finally at the concert. I just wish he could see things a little more clearly.

As far as board games (I call them bored games), he has wanted to play them (as he and his friend are really into complicated board games), but I have never really wanted to do that. My interests are very limited, and I have always had a problem getting out of my shell and doing them (maybe afraid that I wouldn't like it and I would have no way out). I also manage to talk myself out of doing new things for some odd reason. I either don't have the proper attire, or it's too hot, or there's not enough time, or I'm afraid I'll be bored or I can't do it because it is too difficult, I don't know why my attitude is so bad! I feel like I would really have to force myself to have fun - what is wrong with me? How can I push myself without feeling overwhelmed? There has to be some baby steps...

Cruella's picture

My DH is the one that had all of the baggage. I love him but sometimes I wonder if love is enough. I knew his problems when I married him but things got worse with his ex after we got married. I really had no idea what I was getting into and it is not my DH's fault in a lot of ways however at some point I feel DH needs to get his life back in control. That is where my frustrations lie. I went from being single with very few problems and a very quiet life to stress that is so unbearable sometimes I feel my health will not keep up with it. I am actually going to the Dr today because I think I may have IBS also as well as I have insommnia due to the high stress level. Sometimes I feel I have to leave for my own health but I know it will destroy him and I love him with all of my heart. The kids love me too and it will kill them if I left. So what am I to do? I used to be a very positive person until I got married. I am trying to change that too because you are right maybe if we try to change our perspective it might ease the pain.

MsNiceguy's picture

You know exactly how I feel! This IBS has gotten significantly worse in the last few months - Why? - Because this life is so stressful it's not worth living but I don't want to die! The fear sets in - if I leave him, the kids will be destroyed yet again, we will be poor ass broke and the kids will be destroyed even more. I tried to think with my head this time around and not with my heart. My heart always got me into trouble so this time I chose this man because he was a good father, a good provider, blah blah. I completely put my own wants aside because I had to focus on the needs first. Now, none of my wants are being met and I am angry and resentful and feel like I am wasting my life away! I have been battling chronic depression and IBS (other than that, I'm pretty healthy), but these two illnesses have caused me to be so scared that I cannot even think straight and make decisions that are right for me! What about me! But it's selfish to think about me. I'm at the point now where I am slowly realizing that putting me last all the time is the worst thing I could do for anybody, especially my kids. The trouble is, I have no idea how to begin to get in touch with me, as I have lost touch with myself, as sometimes happens with an old friend you lose contact with. I feel like I don't know myself anymore. This has been my trouble even before I got with BF. He picked me up when I was clueless about what I wanted and now I am in another sinking boat.

I am holding your hand in my mind right now - I give you a squeeze of understanding.

goincrazy's picture

I feel the same way. It seems that no matter what you do, the world is right there waiting to take a crap on your day. Keep your chin up, it has to eventually get better, at least that's what I tell myself. BF needs to be able to have the gonads to bring you around the kids with BM there. You have every right to be there for them if you are going to be a part of their life.

Sebbie's picture

And while I am sure you mean that figuritivly speaking, just for you to even summerize life that way makes me hurt for you. Let me share a little something with you sweetie. This might be long so sit back and get comfy ok? I was raised by a single mother, at 7 months of age my father( a captian) was killed in Vietnam..(my mothers only true love to this day)My mother had no clue how to raise a child alone(at 20 and in the early 70;s with just a high school diploma)..she remarried to another military man and had another child..my brother. After a 6 year stint in Germany, when we got back to the states, my dad(as he was the only one I had ever known) decided to leave the military and become a minister..My mother used her widows pension to put him through Theological School at Emory University in Atlanta. A year after getting his own church he ran off with another woman, leaving behind my brother who he never agian attempted to contact.Now mom honestly did the best she could with no help from anyone in raising us kids..but unfortunatly I became her sounding board, and her hitting board..(which I didnt mind if it protected my kid brother)I grew up watching mom sell off things to just help us make it through another day, we moved alot,sometimes in with different men who promised marraige and a NORMAL life to my mother. When those didnt work out we moved agian. I married at 17, in retrospect because I needed to get away from my marraige to my mother( as I felt more like the wife/mother in the home, then the daughter) and I married the first man to show me the attention and Love? that I never had growing up. At 17, I found myself pregnant with his family telling me to get an abortion as we were to young to have kids..( unfortunatly I did follow this advice as I was to terrified to let my mother know I was pregnant anyway) a decision I regret to this day. I became pregnant agian at 19 and had my beautiful little girl. My marraige was already showing signs of the forthcoming abuse, mentally and physically I would come to expect, but the thought of leaving never entered my mind( I was in it for keeps as I did not want to end up like my mother) At 20, when my little girl was 2, I was taken in for exploratory surgery, where the Crohns disease was found.(This after about 4 years of cronic pain and about 20 misdiagnosis)It was after the surgery that the Doctors told me they had no idea what caused Crohns or how to cure it, but they could treat it..the bad part..expect more surgeries in your life. So far I have had 5 surgeries and have had over 3 1/2 feet of intestines removed. I have been on steriods and any other med that Doctors would prescribe to try and control the disease, which often did nothing and left me in pain. I spent the better part of 19 years of marraige in and out of the hospital for blockages, flair ups ect. My ex, though sympathetic in the beginning grew tired of having to deal with my disease(which btw cost me entirely to many jobs). To my regret, my daughter took over where he left off..she became caretaker to her mother laid up in bed in pain, she drove me to the hospital her first time at 13( yes no license) because my ex refused to. During all of this I had my son..who even at 2 knew when mommy was in pain and would curl up in bed with me and rub my forehead. I regret the responsibility's that became my childrens over the years, but in the end they are both extremley strong people for it..Mind you, I worked and walked through the majority of pain to make sure my kids still made it to cheerleading practice and games..having their friends over for many, many spend the nights, church ect....I have always done what I could through my physical pain, and emotional pain( from abusive ex husband) to ensure my kids had as normal a life as possible. After 19 years of praying, crying and yes even cussing God for mine and my childrens lives as we were having to live them, my then 16 year old daughter came to me one night while I was crying over yet another very emotional and mentally abusive argument with my ex and told me " Mom, its time to leave." I cried my eyes out and said" I didnt know how we would make it on our own" to which my daughter and 6 year old son said that "We would, that she was old enough to get a part time job and son even said he could help mow yards." Now I knew I wasnt going to allow the burden of taking care of my children fall on my children, but to hear such beautiful words made me so strong for them and myself.The next day, after ex left to work, we packed our cloths and pictures( things we could not replace) and left...this was 4 days before my 19 wedding anniversary. I had a wonderful friend who was a single mother struggeling on her own with her 2 children that took us in ( a single wide trailer with 2 bedrooms) Of course ex lost it, as I took all his power away...I spent the next 6 months in and out of court battleing for custody of my son..had DFAC called on me at every turn, found out in the process that my ex had sexually tried things with both my children...(this was found out by DFACS interviewing my children) to which I thought I would go and kill my ex, then I internalized it feeling like a bad mother..how could I not know??? During all of this I met a man whose wife had recently had an affair on him with his best friend/next door neighbor. We started out as friends, then saw each other through the finalaties of our divorces...A kind, strong, educated and yes gorgeous man..of course we fell in love, and my kids fell in love with him as well. HERE IS MY POINT...FINALLY RIGHT?!! We are all wonderful today..broke, yes(but our bills are paid) struggeling,yes, tired, alot...but we are happy. We finally have peace and stability in our lives, we love and are finally loved. Today my daughter will be 19 in 2 weeks, she is a strong, willfull, opinionated woman, she is engaged to a wonderful young man who comes from a good family, she is in college, and working full time. My son is soon to be 11, and he is a social butterfly, has tons of friends, is outgoing an A/B student, into sports, and starting to notice girls...uuuhhhggggg... my mother and I are now best friends, we moved on,cried,forgave. The struggles continue, dh and I are having to take bm back to court...costing over 3,200 dollars so far.Not a bad thing,but my ex has nothing to do with our kids, though that is as much their decision as his...(they truly see dh as their dad) DH has already been through 1 surgery with me, and loves my scarred up belly as it says to him that I am alive and here with him.I now recieve infusions( remicade) for my Crohns which has put it into remission for the past two years...( couldnt do this before as we never had insurance in previous marraige, and the infusions cost 17,000 dollars for each one, I recieve one every 8 weeks) yes that is the honest
cost!!! My DH and I no longer have the 128,000 and 170,000 dollar homes we left..we live in an aparment....we no longer have the brand new vehicles that were in the driveways, or the boat, we have bicycles on our patio and 2 used cars. We no longer have all the credit cards, we deal with cash and our bank card...Life has change in every way...DH and I lost so much materially that we had worked so hard for, but it was all just stuff anyway...things that can be replaced. We know where we are financially right now is not where we will always be...(after both of our divorces were final, we moved out of state with DH job...a voluntary transfer, so we had to pay the costs of the move...this meant living in a hotel for about 2 months..) Each and every day is an improvement..but we come to relize that what we now have together is worth so much more than either one of us or our children had in life before..we are happy..no matter the circumstances, no matter the trials, we are doing them together and that is what is most important. Have you heard Rascal Flatts," The Broken Road"? that is DH and my song..says it all. It has taken me 39 years to get to where I am now in life and love..was it easy? hell no! Did I have fun getting here? hell no! But each road I chose to walk is the road that brought me to where I am now, and has MADE ME who I am now, and for that I am greatful, are there some things I wish I could go back and change? of course, but the reality is I cant and for that I am wiser, stronger, and see life for what I can take from it rather than what I think I should just get out of it.Is your relationship with B.F./DH worth working for? Only you know. Does it suck to have medical problems? yes, but there are others dealing with so much worse. Does your financial status put stress on you? yes, but sometimes we have to forfiet the fun money can buy to pay for our previous financial responsibilities and mistakes, which we always have the ability to change that in time..which by the way we should always be greatful for, time that is.Is puttin up with the drama that the ex,s cause worth the struggles emotionally and financially in your life? I dont know about any one else here, but bm drama is about her..her misery, her feeling of injustice in life, her bitterness, her anger, her jealousy, her immaturity, her lack of control in her own life and most of all her inability to have gained any wisdom from anything that has ever happened in her life. I refuse to waste all I have learned, the love that I have found,(trying or not at times) to another person who in all reality only has power over me, my marraige, my home only IF I allow it. Life is soooooo worth living, struggles and all. And if I can only give you one piece of advice that I hope you take to heart, find your joy, dont wait for it to find you...Its in our childrens smiles, their laughter, their tears, thier successes and failures, its in the moments that your b.f or dh holds your hand, comes up from behind and puts his arms around you, tells you about his day,opens his heart and his pain up to you, its in the family that loves us, calls us , shares with us, its in the friends that care about us, its in the quite moments alone with your own thoughts, in the breeze that hits our faces in the sunshine, in the rain that falls on our heads, its in the people that we bring a smile to if only for a moment, its everywhere, everyday, if only we choose to see it.