You are here

If I could write a letter to BM

MsNiceguy's picture

It Would Be This:

You are a wonderful parent - let me rephrase, a wonderful friend to your kids. Being a parent is the toughest job in the world! We need to rear a small human into a productive member of society. We do this by setting the example and giving guidance to a human being whose individuality grows with warp speed. And they will test your ways, to see if this or that is right or wrong, good or bad, but you must be the one who teaches them this. They look to you for the answers. Sometimes we don't have all the answers, and it's okay to tell them that. They will just follow your example, good or bad, right or wrong. A parent's job is to be a teacher, and teachers must use discipline if they hope to ever teach effectively. To not use discipline is to rob a child of the opportunity to learn from their mistakes and therefore to rob them of a future of starting off successfully in an unforgiving world. Lack of discipline in children can lead to a suspended adolescent until they learn their life lessons the hard way. It's a painful thing to watch your beloved child struggle with anything, but life is struggle, and the lessons we learn from our struggles make us stronger and more able to handle things as they come. It's called wisdom. Give your child your wisdom and the friendship will glow later. Until then, you will be the bad guy, the meanie, the old bat! Know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Sincerely,

Somebody Who Should Mind Her Own Business 

Kes's picture

No use trying to tell a BM anything - if they are anything like our NPD BM (and I suspect a lot are) they not only think that they know it all but that they are perfect, and have nothing to learn from anyone. 

Thumper's picture

I would love to send her a letter...but life is too short to waste it. It just does not matter anymore.

Rags's picture

Nope, it is far more entertaining to raise a Skid to thrive and leave the parent in the toxic opposition pouting in the background as the Skid progresses through adulthood.

JRI's picture

If you say you are going to call a child, call.

If you say you are going to pick up a child at a certain time, do it.

No excuses, sad stories or justifications.

Justthesecondwife's picture

It's something that would apply well to my DH, and probably a lot of others on this site too!