You are here

How Do you guys handle the in-laws?

Marie92's picture

Ok. My DH's sister is in from out of town. She's here to visit, but Here's what happened. I'm a teacher and I had a training out of school today. I had the unusual 1 1/2 hour for lunch. My DH said that he wanted to have lunch with me, (he had the day off). I had to be back in training at 1. His sister was to arrive, from a town that is only 5 hours away, at 1. We did go to lunch and I had about a half hour left before I was to be back. I decided to look around the area not wanting to return too soon. He kept looking at his watch saying that he told her that he would be at his parents' house at 1. I told him to leave but he waited a little longer. So, I went back to training. Around 4 he texted me that he, his 2 children, and his sister were going shopping. He later texted me that they were going out to dinner. He got home around 830 at night. Me and my four boys were home. He didn't even invite us to dinner. He didn't ask us to join them shopping. When he got home, I did give him the cold shoulder because he NEVER goes shopping, much less for 4 hours, with me and our kids. I was also offended that they did not invite us to dinner. My family lives in town, and we don't see them that often, maybe once a month. When we do, he can only take it for about an hour. We see the sister about 6 times a year. I tried not to discuss it with him, but I had some wine and it just came out. Calmly and in a calm tone, but, nonetheless, it came out. He TOTALLY lost it! He was very upset, saying that I'm jealous of everyone in his family! I very much regret bringing it up. But, he INSISTS that I'm crazy and seriously need help. Please, anyone out there, how do you handle the in-laws?

Candice's picture

invite you in the first place. My dh can't stand being w/o me, and if there is any family to visit/function going on, it's standard protocol that I am there with my HUSBAND. I think it was pretty insensitive for him to not invite you to be there. You are his wife, and if they want him, they get you too:)

It's okay for dh to want to spend one on one time with his family, but that is usually in a private setting, not the mall. And yes, if your dh isn't willing to go shopping with you for that duration, he shouldn't being willing to do that for anyone else. I understand his sister lives a good drive away, but, you should have been invited.

Don't feel ashamed that you brought up something that bothers you. And fyi, when men feel they can't argue their way out of a dispute, they resort to calling us women "crazy.." I get that all the time. You are not crazy hun, he is just in the wrong....

Marriage comes first, then extended family.

Bests,
Candice