You are here

Homework troubles and the 10 yo SD

littlegrlzx4's picture

My 10 yo sd is very bright. We've had a horrible time however, getting her to focus on and complete her homework in the last several months.

Her teacher tells us she's not focused in class and doesn't get work done there that she should, creating more homework on top of the 40 minutes she ususally has. She comes home and since she wasn't paying attention, she doesn't know what she's supposed to do. She doesn't want to pay attention to it at home either, leaving my poor DH to spend most of the time he has with her pushing her to finish her school work. The when she does get small things done, she doesn't "remember" to turn them in so they are still incomplete.

We've tried taking away distractions, priveleges, reminding and then not reminding. Nothing is working. We're really hoping to stop this before it becomes even more of a habit and school gets even more challanging in 5th grade.

What ideas/suggestions do you have?

steppie1999's picture

Sounds a lot like the same problems my BS(17) had since grade school. Did the homework, but didn't turn it in...Or he just didn't do the work and even when he did, he half-assed it.
We went through the whole ADD thing and while he was seeing his psychiatrist, she suggested having him tested for a learning disability.
After years of pushing, I finally got the school to test him through the special education program (the school foots the bill for this so they don't like to do it) He tested normal and above normal in some areas (like spelling,reading and math) but his "comprehension" levels were WAY BELOW NORMAL. This affected ALL of his classes because he just didn't "get it" like most of his classmates did. He and I would have fights when it came to homework, simply because it was frustrating for both of us....trying to find a way to explain something to him so that he could "learn".
This is his second year of having and IEP (Individual Education Plan) in place and he is doing better....not great, but better and passing his classes and turning in his work.
Check with the principal at the school or with the superintendant's office....they will have the information you need if you want to check this out.

"SOME PEOPLE WEREN'T MEANT TO HAVE CHILDREN" Sad

smurfy1smile's picture

MY BS16 has had many of the same issues. He finally has an IEP and is dong better. I have been and still am concerned he will not graduate on time. He has taken summer school and night school this past year and will have to again next year just to get enough credits to get close to graduation but if he fails anymore he will not keep up with his class on credits. It freaks me out. You can't hardly work at McDonalds as an adult with out at least a high school diploma. I tried the reword system - do good this semester get your permit - do good the next get your license and hopefully a car. That was offered last year and he only got 2 out of 6 credits for the whole year. Offered the same this year with no improvements.

Get your child tested and see what the school can do to help.