You are here

HELP...SS is having hard time adjusting

JUST ME IN NJ's picture

When my fiance & I decided to move in together, it seemed like the best thing for all of us (me, him & his 3 children). I had lived 45 mins from them & took the journey every weekend for the past 1 1/2 years until the move this past weekend. My fiance & I discssed it with his children so many months ago to help them get used to the idea of living as a family. EVERYONE seemed happy with the idea & the children also helped us pick out where we were going to live. If it's not stressful enough packing & moving, the day before the actual move, my SS(10) became very unhappy & tears began falling. He said he did not want to move & was very confused about his feelings concerning the move. For the past 3 1/2 years, my fiance & his children have lived with his mother, who has helped raise them during this time since his ex-wife has basically abandoned the children. My SS said he liked living in his present home. After my fiance consoled him, he seemed to be feeling better. That was until I was putting him to bed that night & he again broke down in tears, stating the same thing he had said earlier. It broke my heart as I sat there talking to him about what he was feeling. He is a very senstitive child & it is obvious he has a hard time with change, but I just don't know what to do to make him feel better about the situation. HELP.... I need some advice on how to help him adjust to this life changing event. I know that last time he had to move was when his parents divorced & his mom left them, so I am sure this has something to do with his emotions now. I just want my SS to feel safe, secure, comfortable & loved while he is dealing with this adjustment. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

lcooper's picture

This may not make you feel any better, but his behavior is quite normal, I believe. I was moved around a lot as a child, and in my own experience, and that of my own children, moving is tough. You become used to your own surroundings, not to mention friends in the neighborhood, and particularly any loved ones you are living with. He is going through a loss, that is sad for anyone, but that does NOT mean you did the wrong thing, or that he will not adjust. In this situation, it seems that time is what is needed the most. If after a couple of months, he is still having significant trouble, you may want to seek professional advice. But for now, just try to think back on any major changes you have experienced in your life, especially if any as a child, and remember how scary that is. I am sure he is just not certain how things will be now. It also should be noted that it is GREAT that he feels close enough to you to shed tears and talk to you about his true feelings. That is a wonderful sign that you will all be okay. Your attentiveness to his feelings will go a long way to help him feel secure.

Best of luck and keep us poste!

JUST ME IN NJ's picture

Your words were very kind & encouraging. All seems well on the home front. My SS is doing well....w/ no new outbursts. This is a hard time for me.... so I can only imagine how hard it is for him. Thank you once again for your reply.

What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger!