You are here

General Poll ~ Looking for opinions

Sandybeaches's picture

Ok I have a good friend that presented a question to me.  Since my answer is not the same as her husband's I wanted to Poll the great minds here and ask your opinion.  Debate is something we seem to be good at here on Steptalk so I am hoping to get enough feedback to help her out ...

So the question is, Is keeping something from someone the same as a lie?  

My friend has been maneuvering a lot more debt that she let on to her husband.  She is not a spendaholic she was a single mom for many years and robbed Peter to pay Paul and always thought she could eventually pay it off. 

She re-married and didn't want to make her new husband think he was responsible to help pay her debt and so she just kept paying and paying and really getting nowhere and now decided to tell him.  Her credit is good as she makes at least minimum payments.  She told him because she wants to get a consolidation loan ans since she is taking new credit she thought she should finally tell him.

He feels she lied by not telling him she had that debt.   I do not feel she lied by not metioning it. If he had asked directly and she made up something then it would be a lie but that never happened.  She just didn't mention it.  While I encouraged her to tell him as soon as I find out about her debt I don't think that by not telling him she lied.  I only tell you this backstory  because I didn't want your opinion swayed by thinking an affair was the thing she was not sharing.  

So that is the question do you feel it is the same as lying or not?  

Thank you !!  I value your input!! 

susanm's picture

Before they married it was her business and hers alone.  Had she continued to make payments using her own paycheck and not altered the status quo of their finances then it would have remained her business.  However, now that they are married and she wants to take out a loan, that loan becomes marital debt.  If she uses the loan to pay off her prior debt, she has transformed her prior debt into marital debt even if she continues to make payments herself because she incurred that loan during the marriage.  Her DH has every right to be royally p*ssed off that she did not tell him and now he has to be on the hook for a loan.

Plus people tend to be angry at being intentionally kept in the dark.  If your friend was handling it herself, why did she need to hide it?  Sure it was her business and she had no obligation to disclose it but that is not going to feel good to her DH when he is thinking about it at 3:00 in the morning.  How would she feel if the roles were reversed?  The phrase "if he has been hiding this all these years, what ELSE is he capable of hiding???" springs to mind.  

She has some major a$$ kissing to do.  Was she obligated to disclose prior to marriage?  No.  But should she have?  100% yes.  She should have spoken then or forever kept her mouth shut.

Sandybeaches's picture

Yes she should have told him but not telling him I think was poor judgemental not a lie. 

You bring up very good points.  It could be he was worried about what else she did not disclose very good point.  The reason she didn't was because A. She thought she would have it paid off soon and B. she didn't want him to think it was becoming his debt.  She felt and still does that it is her responsibility.  With that said she is getting the consolidation loan on her own no co-signing from him.  Since she is getting it that was why she was telling him now.  She did not think she should get a new debt without telling him.  

Sandybeaches's picture

He would not be on the loan so I don't think it would be a "martial debt" should anything ever happen in their marriage, I am sure that debt would be hers not his.  That would all be hashed out through the lawyer I am sure.  

She has continued to pay the debts out of her own paycheck and could continue to do that but only wanted to pay it off sooner so she was thinking of a loan through her own bank not using any collateral of the couple just her own name.  

strugglingSM's picture

I don't know if it could be considering lying, but I think she was not forthcoming and that be seen as untrustworthy. 
That said, I don't think it's uncommon for there to be surprises after people are married. Especially if people have a "shameful" secret like debt, they are likely to not want to reveal it. If the relationship is strong, it will survive, but she will have to build trust again and will have to be okay with allowing him to be upset and give her a hard time about this for a while.

tog redux's picture

Yes, I believe it's a lie - it's called a "lie of omission". I'd be upset if I found out that DH had huge debt that he hadn't told me about.  Debt affects your partner, especially if you live in a state/country where any loans to pay that debt might then become HIS debt. Or if attempts to pay it off take money away from the household that the other partner then has to make up out of his/her money. Maybe he was counting on her being able to contribute X amount, so they bought a house based on that;  but now she can't pay that amount because she has to put more towards that debt. 

And the worst for me is that I would wonder what else he had hidden from me.  That sort of secret would make me question my marriage.  You can't build a strong relationship on a bed of lies and secrets. Why would she keep such a secret?

hereiam's picture

You can't build a strong relationship on a bed of lies and secrets.

This is what I'm trying to get through to my friend. She's been dating this guy for about 7-8 months and he has never been to her home, has no idea where she lives. He knows the general area, but she's afraid to let him know exactly where she lives, lest he judge her. Why would you want to be with someone if you think they are so judgemental?

HE won't tell his ADULT kids about HER because he is afraid of their reaction.

She is in her sixties, too old to be wasting time on these lies of omission.

I told my DH everything when we started dating, didn't want to waste the time (I was 30). This is me, take it or leave it. And let me know ASAP.

hereiam's picture

In your friend's case, I believe she was in the wrong. Personally, I don't believe you should marry someone if you can't be open and honest with them about your circumstances and who you really are. You don't think she lied, but she was not being honest, either.

Being in debt is a pretty big deal when you are marrying someone. It's not like she didn't tell him that she couldn't tie her shoes until she was 11.

Sandybeaches's picture

Your answer is helpful!!  and added a question... there is also a difference between lying and honesty.  

To me, to be a lie you have to be asked something and your answer is something totally different than the truth.  

Honesty is telling the truth when asked and living honestly. 

A lie to me also needs to be deliberate and deliberately deceitful.  I also think your motive needs to be to deceive and with this I don't think that is the case.  I think she believed that she could pay this off.  She says she still could but it would take years the way she is doing it now.  So she wants to get a loan.  

I do not think she was deliberately deceitful however, she should have told him sooner.  As soon as she told me I encouraged her to tell him.  That was 6 months ago.  

hereiam's picture

Well, I guess some people would say that living honestly means that you don't necessarily have to be asked. If you know you have an STD (like herpes or HIV), do you not have to disclose that to a sexual partner unless specifically asked?

When you marry someone, you are entering a legal contract with the state that makes you responsible for that person, so I think one deserves to know exactly what they are responsible for. Not to mention, like I said, why marry someone that you don't think you can be honest with?

If she just didn't want him to think he should be responsible for her debt, she could have said as much and let him know her plan to pay it off, to put his mind at ease, but she just hid it from him, instead. I would be pissed.

still learning's picture

I'd be pissed too. I knew DH had debt and obligations before we married but he set out a plan to pay it off and he did within 6 months.  I wasn't thrilled at the time but at least I wasn't lied to.  

tog redux's picture

I wouldn't have married DH if I knew he had a load of debt - unless he had a clear and realistic plan to pay it off. Financial responsibility is important to me, and he would have known that from when we started dating. So if he listened to me talk about my values around money and then hid debt from me? Nope. Possible deal breaker.

still learning's picture

to be a lie you have to be asked something...

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. 

hereiam's picture

Right? Con artists lie constantly, without necessarily being asked anything. Some may not outright lie, but they are still dishonest.

hereiam's picture

Legal sense, as well. If I'm charged with bigamy, I don't think the government cares if I was asked if I was already married. "I wasn't asked, so we're good, right?"

still learning's picture

It's definitely a lie by omission on her part and carelessness on his part. Imagine if she had a STD and didn't tell him; I think we'd all say that was a lie and putting him at risk. When you marry someone you really need to check them out and get to know EVERYTHING about them before legally joining your lives together.  It's not very romantic to ask to see their account statements and have a credit check/background check run, but it should be required.  

Before I met DH I was dating a guy who was deeply in debt, had filed bankruptcy, got laid off, was living off credit, was borrowing money from his adult kids, and so on. We were in love and got along well but I knew I could never legally join anything of mine with his.  We'd never be able to buy a house together and I certainly wouldn't put him on any of my accounts.  I broke it off after a year of him making no progress in getting his finances together.  It may sound like a b*tch move but money is the #1 issue that people divorce. I didn't want to start out and have to crawl down into his hole.  

ndc's picture

I wouldn't call this a lie.  To me, a lie is an intentional false statement.  Assuming she never made any statement about her financial situation/debt, then this is an omission, not a lie.  That doesn't make it any better.  Both are deception, both are wrong, when the information is withheld from one's spouse.

hereiam's picture

Exactly, so the answer to OP's question, "So that is the question do you feel it is the same as lying or not?",  is that it is the same.

Swim_Mom's picture

Debt is a big deal and should be disclosed. I think she was deceitful. However, my DH and I still joke about the fact when we had been dating a couple of months I told him I would need to see his credit score to go any further. Immediately I received a screenshot of his well over 800 score with the comment 'do I pass?':) Her husband should have asked. These are just basic things you need to know about a person before getting married. I showed DH my equally strong credit too.

Sandybeaches's picture

Thank you all for your opinions... Truly appreciate other perspectives!!..

I am not saying she shouldn't have told him she should have ... I think intent matters a lot in situations and her intention was not to be deceitful and marry him and dump the debt on him she thought it was her problem and hers to pay.

More to the back story this girl married at 18 had 3 kids and divorced at 25 and didn't date hardly at all until she met her husband.  She did not meet and marry this man until she was 45.  The debt I am speaking of is not from one to many trips to the mall, it is from student loans, and what student loans didn't pay. She put herself through college and her kids.  Her ex left with the babysitter and never looked back so she never got child support. This debt is also from house repairs and from unexpected expenses when her budget ran short.  It is more than half paid off she said.  She keeps transferring it around to 0% credit cards and paying it down.  She wanted to be done with it and not keep worrying every 18 months about a card offer to show up so she could transfer again.

Her credit is good she is not asking him to sign anything so I don't think her husband can tell her she can't get a loan.  

While I most certainly agree that she should have told him as I said intent is a huge part of it and I don't believe she was being purposely deceitful.  She said she was so used to handling her own affairs that she didn't ever think of it being wrong not telling him.  She said they have separate checking accounts they do not share an account. He pays some bills she pays others.. she does not ask him where his money goes either.  

It is not just because she is my friend I am just so surprised it is viewed as a lie.  Wrong maybe but Lie I just don't see it.  Maybe if she was now dumping it on him but I think when you live alone for so long and are responsible for yourself and 3 kids I think your view can be clouded somewhat.

sandye21's picture

Wikipedia:  'Lying by omission, also known as a continuing misrepresentation or quote mining, occurs when an important fact is left out in order to foster a misconception. Lying by omission includes the failure to correct pre-existing misconceptions. For example, when the seller of a car declares it has been serviced regularly, but does not mention that a fault was reported during the last service, the seller lies by omission. It may be compared to dissimulation. An omission is when a person tells most of the truth, but leaves out a few key facts that therefore, completely obscures the truth.'

I can tell you from experience as a person who was lied to by omission, that when you are not up front and 'honest' with your potential mate it sets the stage for misunderstandings years down the road.  Just ask yourself how you want your marriage to look in ten, twenty. thirty years.  Is it really worth it to keep your partner in the dark, and risk the loss of trust for the rest of your marriage?  Do you want them to question if you really love them?  

Before I married DH he didn't exactly 'lie' but he implied he made more then he actually did, that his job had more potential, and he was on a roll.  He left out a lot.  I SHOULD have checked him out before I married him.   I was stupid and take full responsibility for it.  I didn't find out the truth for a long time, and when I did I felt like I had been used.  He later said he hadn't been forthright with me because he was afraid I wouldn't marry him.

As 'heartless' as it sounds, before you marry anyone, check them out.  We are not dealing with first marriages so in most cases there is no rush.  Take your time to REALLY know all about them.  If you still want to be with them get a pre-nup.  If you are in debt, this would let your mate know you love them enough that you don't want to shoulder them with it, and you value trust in your marriage.

Also, as heartless as it sounds, it is very important in a marriage to have common values.  This means, social, financial, emotional, and intellectual values.  It's a lot easier to grow with someone if you are on the same path. 

tog redux's picture

Yes, to me, not telling him is deceitful. If he asked, would she have told him? I wonder. Did they never even discuss finances at all? They never applied for loans together or talked about credit scores? 

I don't know why she wouldn't tell him except to be deceitful. Why didn't she want him to know? My DH has a student loan that he pays on his own and doesn't burden me with - but he told me about it. 

OP, why did she not tell him? Was she afraid he would disapprove? 

Willow2010's picture

Omitting the debt info while they were friends was not a lie,  Omitting the debt info while dating was not a lie.  Omitting the debt info once they decided to marry was absolutely a lie.  It shocks me that anyone would feel different.  

notsobad's picture

Yes, it is absolutely a lie.

I would suggest that your friend apologize to her husband and beg for forgiveness. Honestly, she reminds me of a child who doesn't tell the whole truth because they don't want to get into trouble. Then defends themselves by saying "Well you never asked me that specifically!"

A friend of mine was adopted. She found her birth father and he had no idea that she existed. He had a girlfriend in HS and then moved away. A year later he came back and ended up marring the girl. They had a daughter and divorced 10 years later. She never told him that she'd given birth to a daughter in the year that he was away!

My friend discovered that she has a full blood sister! She has met with her birth mother as well and guess what? BM hadn't told her second husband or children with him that she'd given a child up for adoption.

A lot more controversial than not telling someone about debt but still a lie.

The good news is that my friend is now very close to her sister and is building a relationship with her father and his other children. Her BM, not so much.

Sandybeaches's picture

I don't think someone needs to disclose this type of fact to someone they are marrying.  Giving a baby up for adoption or choosing not to have it at all is a very personal not to mention final thing that one should not have to revisit unless they want to.  

While I suppose people have the right to search for birth parents I do not feel someone has the obligation to tell someone that they are marrying that they once gave up a child or ended a pregnancy.  These are personal secrets someone has the right to not disclose.

I also think it is entirely different than the situation I have described.  

Monkeysee's picture

But the daughter she gave up was the daughter of her first husband. He absolutely had a right to know. He was/is the father and should have had a choice to be in her life, not kept in the dark. ESPECIALLY after they reconciled, got married, and had another child. Her morals were severely lacking by keeping that a secret.

Im late to the party on this and I haven’t read all the responses, but your friend should have told her DH about the debt. My DH omitted a few things in the first year we were together & I’m still working through them now. It’s been years. Once someone breaks your trust this way, it’s a tough thing to get back. I sincerely hope your friend is willing to do whatever it takes to earn her husbands trust, and not pinning any of the responsibility on him to simply get over it or forgive her. This was her doing, it was absolutely deceitful, and she needs to own that.

Sandybeaches's picture

Where she married the father of the baby she gave up.  Yes that would be wrong and I would imagine a difficult secret to keep.

I was speaking of say for example someone had a baby and gave it up, years later she meets a man and marries him.  I don't think she has any obligation to tell him if she doesn't choose to.  I thought you were speaking of a husband years later.  It was a little hard to follow.  

She has taken full responsibility and is deeply sorry that she did not tell him.  She is willing to do whatever it takes to fix it.  

susanm's picture

I answered above but I wanted to add that, by the rationale of "I was never asked directly so I did not lie" escapism of the lie of omission standard, essentially the friend is doing the ultimate cop-out.  She is saying that, unless someone had strapped her to a chair with a naked lightbulb swinging overhead and grilled her within an inch of her life with a battery of questions, she is off the hook to disclose major facts of her life that could eventually impact them.  Like the existence of debt that would lead to a loan taken out during the marriage.  And in every state that I am aware of, a loan taken out in the course of a marriage is marital debt.  If she defaults, the bank can come after any property that they jointly own to recoup the debt.

By her logic, every day her DH should have to sit her down and ask her if she knocked boots with the entire roster of co-workers during the lunchhour.  And if he happens to miss the correct name, oh well.......    Maybe an extreme example but if she used that type of "you did not specifically ask me" logic, you can be sure that type of untrustworthiness either has or will cross his mind.

Sandybeaches's picture

I did not say she said that at all.  it is not her "logic" I used the statement in explaining the facts.

I wonder now how many are basing their opinion on the fact that you think she said she was never asked directly? 

Embarrassed not wanting to burden him.  Poor judgment for sure ... but a lie I don't see it.  but I have learned a lot about what people think which is eye opening and good for me to.  I am unconditional in my feelings and I thought many others were too.  I don't like the well you have this or that so I wouldn't marry you thing.  There is a difference by the type of debt she has and irresponsible debt that is a given as far as I see.  

Monkeysee's picture

But, irregardless of how she accumulated the debt, her husband had a right to know, because it would inevitably affect him. If she, or you, or anyone wants to keep things from their past a secret from their husband, that’s their prerogative. But if something from someone’s past - or present, in the case of your friends debt - will have an impact on their partner, not disclosing it is immoral, and will cause issue once their partner finds out. I’m failing to understand how you don’t see that act as deceitful. 

Sandybeaches's picture

What I was originally asking was, was if it was thought of as a lite because she didn't. I do think she should have told him and I am not saying it wasn't wrong.  I just know her and just because she made a mistake I don't think she is a horrible person.  

I don't think her intention was to be deceitful but I can see how someone not knowing her or the situation might see it that way.

Justthesecondwife's picture

I belive this entirely, providing the issue will or has the potential to affect another person. I speak this from experience as my DH neglected to inform me of several issues before we were married, as well as after, and in the case of all the omissions there have been negative consequances for me, our marriage and our future plans. My DH said the same thing as your friend, that I hadn't asked. Some of them I should have asked about but, being an open and honest person myself, I didn't consider needing to ask what I assumed would be naturally disclosed to the person you intend to marry or are married to. Other things were issues I would never have considered asking, as they were far from my realm of thinking. Why would the onus of disclosure become mine because I didn't ask the question?

Where I come from many kinds of debt in a marriage becomes jointly liable and the unknowing spouse may be on the hook for paying it off. Debt also become a factor in plans to purchase property etc. 

I won't go into details about my DH's omissions, but suffice to say I have been furious each time one has come to light and has affected me. As another poster said, it is a cop out of your friend to state she wasn't asked, even if she thought she had her debt under control. Her DH had the right to be fully informed of what may affect him and their marriage and she should have had the integrity to be forthcoming about her situation. 

Livingoutloud's picture

I have debt and I told my DH when we were dating and getting serious. He didn't care. He told me he had bakruptsy (years before we met) because BM refused to work and he lost his job so he himself is afraid to ever have debt ever since. 

i don't believe one needs to disclose their debt to boyfriends, but surely it needs to be disclosed when getting married. At least it has to be mentioned. Not because one needs their spouses help to pay debt but because it is a decent thing to do

sadly your friend lied, possibly thought he'd not marry her if she had debt (some wouldn't). So that's tricking a person into marrying you. And saying she lied because he didn't ask is ridiculous. What if she had STD (he didn't ask about a specific kind she had), slept around during their relationship (he didn't ask if she sleeps around) etc She absolutely lied

now if she thinks couples should have private lives and don't need to disclose such things, then she should just date and not tie the knot. 

Sandybeaches's picture

SHE did not say that he didn't ask her so she didn't tell him.  Please read the original post. 

My original question was if not disclosing something was a lie and in describing her situation I said she was not asked directly and made a false statement just to give all of the facts of what happened.  

As I have said while I believe it should have come up sooner I think it was poor judgment not a lie. While this has been eye opening as I have never heard the statement "lie of omission", for me I have always gone with the blanket statement of a lie which definitely includes intention of deceit and is defined as "to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive". 

He did know she had debt, she said they never really discussed finances except for who was paying what.  They have a mortgage together for those that asked and her credit score is high in the very good range as I said I ran her credit with her.  He has his checking account and she has hers.  She said she has no idea what his bank statment is like she has never seen it he has not seen hers.  

She was on her own for 20 years handling her own affairs and believed it was just her problem to handle.  I don't believe that she intended to deceive anyone.  While it may seem as those that is what happened it was not her intention.

I think many responses here are hung up on that one statement I clarified as not what she said.  Second marriages for many reasons come with baggage and many here said that they would not have gotten married if they knew someone had debt.  It sounds more to me like marriage is not about loving someone at all to many.  

Harsh crowd on this ...

tog redux's picture

I guess for many of us, just not telling him conveys an "intent to deceive". She didn't do it to hurt him, but seemingly to protect herself, possibly?  Her excuse was that she didn't want to burden him, but in the end, she did burden him - because this new loan she is taking on now becomes his debt, too, should they divorce.  So he should have had the option ahead of time to make a plan with her for this loan, or even to decline to marry her because of it. 

To me, keeping a secret from your spouse that could impact them IS deceiving them.  I don't see the difference just because she had no ill intent.  Perhaps she didn't see how it could impact him, but I suspect she didn't tell him partly because she thought he would be upset with her for it.

Marriage is partly about loving someone - but marrying someone who doesn't share your values financially is a recipe for disaster. Love can't overcome that - some of us are more practical than romantic. Since you said she is otherwise financially responsible, this might not have been a deal breaker - but it still should have been discussed.

Sandybeaches's picture

She is financially responsible.  Please read the post where I explain the debt as it is too long to re-type out .... 

She has not taken the loan yet she told him first.  I don't see how a debt in her name becomes his.  I have been through a divorce too and all debts were listed with responsibility they were not divided equally.  There were things that were not my reasonability and things that weren't his ... You can list that in a divorce.  They could also make a legal agreement if necessary stating that the debt his hers not his and notarize it and  make it legal.  

A deal breaker ?? Really?  A single mom who had a credit score over 780, never missed a payment and had the debt because she raised her kids on her own no help and put herself through college and her kids and had some lingering debt that she had paid most of it off?  I would consider her a gem in this world today where most households have 10,000 or mire in irresponsible credit card debt.  Just saying .... and before anyone mentions the not telling him part I am responding to the part where this poster said her debt may have been a deal breaker if she told him before marriage. 

tog redux's picture

Marital debt can become the responsibility of both partners in a divorce, it depends on state laws and the judge's discretion.

I was the one who said the debt may have been a deal breaker. I get that it wouldn't be a deal breaker for you, but he should have had the option to decide if it was for him or not. It might not have been, if she was otherwise financially responsible, and it wasn't a huge loan.  But if the loan is large and she is barely keeping up with the minimum payment (as you said in your post) then that might have been a worry for him.  And it should have been - because now she is needing more debt to pay for it.

You can keep your credit score high and still be drowning in debt, as long as you pay the minimum payments.  So credit score isn't necessarily a measure of financial health. 

For me, financial stability is of great importance. I don't want to end up paying huge loans well into my retirement years. Other people are less concerned about that, and might have had no issue with her loan. 

Livingoutloud's picture

You ask for opinions and now getting upset that people think your friend is in the wrong. Then why are you asking for opinions? 

Sandybeaches's picture

Even in your post following this  and the others posts that I mentioned, your saying that what she did was intentional or she set out to deceive .... She did none of those things.  

As neither of us has ever heard of lie by mission, it is new ground,  new thought.  I think maybe a more appropriate response would be .. Your friend may not have meant to deceive or not realized it was a lie but many feel it is ... All I am stating is that her intentions are being totally vilified when she didn't mean to be deceitful.  

And I only explain her type of debt to explain how she got there.  

I get now what everyone is saying but it is the harshness to her character and thought process that is being judged which you all could know nothng about.  

tog redux's picture

I think the more important thing is that her spouse feels lied to. So instead of her justifying this by saying it wasn't really a lie because she didn't make a false statement, she should be apologizing to him for doing something that made him doubt her trustworthiness.

Sandybeaches's picture

to be clear, because she didn't see it as a lie but in hindsight understands now why she should have told him, she has completely apologized and has not taken the lie debate any further with him.  She only mentioned it to me and I brought the idea here because I didn't see it as a lie either.  

It also brings to light if he would not have married her if he knew about the debt then the marriage is over anyway.  That is the other side of this issue that has been learned as well.  I have learned through this that debt even if it is not from irresponsibility but unfortunate life circumstances can be a deal breaker for some and the reason why all should be disclosed.  It best to know what you are dealing with on both sides.  

Livingoutloud's picture

I don't think the issue is that it's a deal breaker. The issue is that by disclosing we give our partners fair chance and a choice. By keeping secrets and ambushing them when they are married already, we deny them honesty and ability to make decisions and have choices.  

if it's a deal breaker it's still much better to not even start marriage than dissolving it later. 

and for many people debt wouldn't be a deal breaker. But lying absolutely would be. The issue isn't her debt. The issue is marrying him without disclosing important info to him 

Livingoutloud's picture

Her feeling that lying by omission isn't really lying does not negate the fact that she didn't disclose important information and he feels lied to. If the person is deceitful, it doesn't really matter why they are deceitful. The only excuse could be she was in danger and gun was pulled to her head if she told the truth. 

Livingoutloud's picture

Of course marriage is about love. For me it is. That's why I wouldn't withhold important info from my husband, I love  and respect him. So I am honest to people I love. And marriage is about love for my DH too. That's why when I told him I have debt, he said he can't care less. 

withholding important info from a legal spouse and then saying he must love her enough and forgive lies, isn't very loving in my opinion. Love goes both ways. Being honest is part of loving relationship. Lying directly or by omission isn't really love because it doesn't give your partner fair chance by misrepresenting yourself. If you love your partner and want honest and healthy relationship, you don't misrepresent yourself.

my marriage is about love and respect and it's honest. Sadly your friends marriage was not built on love because she first lied (which isn't a foundation of love) and then refuses to face consequences (again not how love works) 

for your fiend to believe she had rights to lie but he has no rights to be mad when truth came out s very unfair. Plus of your friend is embarrassed in front of her spouse she had no business marrying him. It's not how marriage works. She'd better off find someone she can be comfortable and secure with  

Sandybeaches's picture

"withholding important info from a legal spouse and then saying he must love her enough and forgive lies" 

"and then refuses to face consequences (again not how love works) "

"for your fiend to believe she had rights to lie but he has no rights to be mad when truth came out s very unfair."

I never said any of those things.  While she hopes he will forgive her, she understand that he may not.  She just didn't think it was a lie.  So I think what we are disagreeing on is what it is called and the reason why.  She also never said that he didn't have the right to be mad or upset. Neither did I when I posted.  

She was paying her debt and paying it in the same way she always had and it didn't really seem since she wasn't incurring new debt that it was any different than it ever had been to her.  She understands now why she should have said something.  She has only been married 2 years and this debt has been going on a long time.  

DPW's picture

Wrong. A lie by omission is still a lie. A big lie by omission, like this one, is a dealbreaker for me. You are trying to justify your friend's actions because she was a single mother and it was "good" debt. Doesn't matter. When you marry someone, debt should be disclosed. It is not fair for the new partner to find out about big debt after marriage. Not sure why you can't see that. 

tog redux's picture

And student loans are often NOT good debt. The interest rates are crazy and people take out huge loans to pay for an education that will not allow them to get a job with a high enough salary to repay the loan. And many of them can't be discharged in bankruptcy.  Really, the only good debt is a mortgage.

ETA: Whoops, I don't know why I thought she had student loans. She has credit card debt, which is abolutely NEVER good debt. She will never get out from under it paying minimum payments.

Sandybeaches's picture

and only in very rare circumstances is it ever dischargeable.  She would never do that anyway she feels they are her responsibility to pay.  Which is why she never went bankrupt on any of the debt.

At times she only paid minimum when she had less money.  She pays well above now and it is all on one card she showed me that she transfers around at 0% so every dollar counts when she pays.  Her debts were well over 85,000 with all her student loans and the kids and other debt, braces, medical bills etc... she now has it down to about 11,000 it looked like to me when we did her credit report.   

Livingoutloud's picture

I was on my own and a single mom too most of my life and my debt is not like drug debt or something, mostly medical bill, student loan etc lol I still didn't think I had to be lying about it. Lie is a lie. Not a good start of a marriage  

Aunt Agatha's picture

It's one of the first things to be discussed when marrying someone else.  Most prenups include debt and savings as part of what to add so finances are clear.

Did they do any type of prenup? Do you know for sure they didn't have a financial conversation that she failed to mention here debt as part of the discussion?

Id be shocked if no financial conversation came up.

But regardless, no I would not consider your friend to be an honest person in that she did not disclose a significant and potentially life changing debt.

I completely understand why her new husband would be upset.  I would have a really hard time trusting her in the future. However, I do question why he did not insist on having a financial history conversation with her.  Because that just seems like such a basic thing to do especially in a 2nd marriage when theoretically people have more potential good or bad history.

StepUltimate's picture

Without reading any of the replies, I can tell you this happened to my bro when my SIL shared about her student loans & $30k in dental bills (= from a country with poor dental care), shortly after they got married. They got through it, but it hurt my bro that she kept that from him. He helped her pay it off 13 years ago.

tog redux's picture

Yes, holy crap. OP - if she has it down to 11K, why does she need the consolidation loan?  I know she's your friend and you are protective - but without knowing the details, it's hard to know if this debt was taken on irresponsibly or unavoidably.

Sandybeaches's picture

Originally it was 14,000 or 15,000 when she married him ..

The majority was student loan debt for her and her kids.  The rest were things not covered by the loans other living expenses for college for the kids mostly.  Also braces and dr bills for the younger kids.   She has paid the majority of it and sold her house a few years before she met her husband and paid some then as she had some equity in her house and moved to an apartment so that she could pay more.

She has it on one 0% credit card.  The offers for 0% are only for 18 months at a time so every 18 months she has to move it so that is why she wanted a loan.  It is stressful for her not knowing if she will be offered another 0% card as the economy changes who knows if there will still be offers.  So she wanted to move it once and for all and pay it.  She really is fiscally respsonsilbe and tries.  

BethAnne's picture

To me marriage is as much a buisness arrangement as a declaration of love and I think that everyone should be open with the state of their finances and aims and goals for the future before they sign the marraige certificate. Even if they plan to keep finances separate. I kept my finances secret while dating my husband and paid close attention to how he managed his finances. We were very open with each other though once we decided to get married. 

This couple seem to have had different ideas to me and did not fully disclose thier finances to each other prior to marriage, so that could be a mistake on both their parts although I guess they both assumed the other did not have any nasty surprises in their financial closets. Knowing that that assumption was being made and deliberatly witholding information is not a great way to start a marriage.

I am surprised that her debts were not brought to light when they applied for a mortgage together. I know I saw my husband's credit report when we were sorting finances to buy our house. 

Overall I do not really think that it matters weather it is classed as a "lie" or not. A lie is mearly a word to describe a thing. What matters is that her husband feels hurt and betrayed and that the wife did not feel that she could trust her husband with knoweldge of her debts until this time. They need to work out how to get past these things as they will eat at their trust for each other and destroy their relationship unless the address them. Having said that the husband may feel that he needs his wife to appologize for her lie in order for him to start to hear things from her point of view. 

Sandybeaches's picture

She did apologize and accepted responsibility for her actions. She told him she could keep the debt payments the way she has it now as it is not effecting anything she needs to be paying on their bills.  

I don't know how it will go or if they can get past it.  Last time I talked to her he was not speaking to her and totally ignoring her.  

sandye21's picture

Originally you were looking for opinions.  The majority of the opinions agree that 'omission' constitutes lying.  We gave you good reasons why we feel this way, plus the consequences such as unfairly transferring debt to the new partner or destroying trust.  Now it seems you are fishing for someone to agree with you that what your friend did wasn't that bad.  It's as if her DH has no right to  be angry about it because out fo the goodness of her heart she apologized and took responsibility for her actions.  To take responsibility for her actions she has to make an effort and 'actions' to make it right.

To mend things, TRULY take responsibility for her actions, and regain her Husband's trust, she could suggest a post-nup.  This is how my DH and I got through his 'omissions' but they still had long term effects on the way we have lived and on our quality of life - even today. 

You wrote that your friend is in her early 40's.  She and her DH should be thinking of retirement but instead they will be paying off her debt.   If SHE pays off her debt by herself it will be money she is not placing into her retirement fund.  That means when your friend DOES retire they will not have equal funds.  If her DH feels any resentment over her 'omissions' he will be less inclined to 'help' her out later in life.

Sandybeaches's picture

while it is not quite the case. 

I am not mad and appreciate the responses.  I just think her intention matters and I don't think she intended to deceive anyone and I have learned a lot about what others think.

I did not say, nor did she that he didn't have the right to be upset.  She has taken full responsibility for her actions and is willing to handle it whatever way he wants to.  

I am not sure where you come from but 40 is hardly close to retirement.  It is at least 20 some years away and this is a 2-4 year loan with a payment that most people blow on a vacation every year.  She has a retirement and life insurance 5 times her salary as I said I did all her finaces with her when she was figing this out.  

sandye21's picture

It looks like the omission of information IS the 'case' with your friend's husband.  It made him angry enough to not speak to her.  Good that she has offered to rectify the situation to the satisfaction of her DH.   That's the first step. 

I never wrote that you were mad at the responses.  You had your opinion to begin with and seem to be fishing for someone to agree with you.  

Where I 'come from' is a person who is retired and am very glad I was preparing for retirement at 40 years old.  It comes faster than you think.and with inflation there isn't as much as you think.

Sandybeaches's picture

Sorry I took that wrong.

They are saving for retirement. And she's putting the same amount in her retirement as she had been. He was always going to have more money than her at retirement because he makes twice as much or more than she does to begin with.

sandye21's picture

Everything should be just great once her DH regains his trust.  After reading what ESMOD wrote I agree with her.  The DH sounds like he is a bit of a jerk.  I think the best thing your 'friend' can do is to stop making excuses for 'omitting' important information and for her DH to stop engaging in passive-aggressive behavior.  A good marriage therapist would be of great help.

Livingoutloud's picture

Most certainly paying debt instead of saving money or putting it into something mutually beneficial effects him and their marriage. 

Livingoutloud's picture

11k isn't a lot of money. Why does she need loans to pay that? I'd not take loans to pay 11k

tog redux's picture

She explained it above - she's running out of options for 0% credit cards and doesn't want to get hit with full credit card interest.

Livingoutloud's picture

Not a good reason. She needs to meet with financial advisor. Taking loans is typically a bad idea. She again borrows money from one place to pay another. Vicious cycle 

tog redux's picture

Yes, I agree. Sounds like she's made an admirable effort to pay them off, but without information on her income, I can't say where to go from here. 

Sandybeaches's picture

I think you nailed it, in saying that she made an admirable effort to pay it.  She did and while I feel she should have told him upfront about it I do believe her intention was not to lie and dump a bunch of debt on him and say ok we have to pay this.

She is a VERY private girl and not that it makes it the right decision, I feel that played a role.  

She makes enough to cover the debt and a loan if she choose to go that route.  It would not interfere with what she pays now in house bills.  Bottom line she is already paying it now.  If she went with a 3 or 4 year loan it would be about the same as what she is paying now on the 0% card except it would be a set payment and time frame to pay it.  I helped her do her budget so I know a little bit about it.  They already have a mortgage and both have cars so there are no other credit decisions to make in the near future so she was thinking get it paid now and be done with it.  

Rags's picture

When they chose to marry it became pertinate.  A lie of omission is still a lie.

Not telling a spouse everyting is one thing but a pile of debt is definately on the share it now list.

IMHO of course.

Sandybeaches's picture

Not really a pile as most of it was paid before they were married.  While it should have been a discussion for sure..

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

It could be a lie by omission, however- if she had told him prior to this that she had some form of debt (like a lot of people) and he didn’t question her further on it, then it is not entirely her fault. 

It perhaps wasn’t wise to do this. In the UK as a spouse is no longer responsible for the other persons debt (the laws changed years ago though not sure how many) people think sharing their financial information is not as much of a big deal as it used to be. Not sure what the laws regarding debt are in your country. I would only be upset if I was legally responsible for someone else’s debt and they hadn’t forewarned me. 

Sandybeaches's picture

Had some debt it was just never discussed on either side.  She still really doesn't know how much he owes on anything and certainly right now doesn't feel like she should ask. 

He is not speaking to her and totally ignoring her.  

Thank you for your comment .. it was helpful

ESMOD's picture

I think both parties should be open about their financial situation when going into a relationship.  That includes baring their debt ridden soul.  Of course, she could have, at that time, told him that she did not intend to use any joint finances to pay off her existing debt.  The fact that she is now considering a consolidation loan gives me the impression that what she owes is not a trivial amount and that she may have actually let the debt grow.

I think partners should understand their partner's financial tendencies.. saver/spender etc.. while they don't have to have outright JOINT finances.. their individual decisions can still impact the couple as a whole.

I think it was akin to a lie (maybe not that exact word).  She kept a secret from her husband that was in the category of "major issue".  It would hurt as much as being lied to about a significant thing.

Sandybeaches's picture

"The fact  that she is considering a consolidation loan gives me the impression that what she owes is not a trivial amount and that she may have actually let the debt grow "

Not so please read other posts. 

Most of the debt better than half is paid it is because she transfers from one 0% credit card to another and would like it paid sooner please refer to other posts 

ESMOD's picture

11K is not a totally inconsequential amount of money to many people.  

She should have been honest about having the debt.  who knows.. maybe her DH would have said.  "hey.. how about you let me pay that off from my savings and then you can repay me a set amount each month"

I don't think couples should keep major issues to themselves.. a debt like this is one of them.  

Has she considered.. or does she have access to a 401K loan?  Interest rates are low.. and the interest rate is actually REPAID to YOU.. in your 401k.  I wouldn't advise taking money out with penalty.. but you can do a loan and it's not necessarily a bad thing if you are going to be borrowing that money anyway.

But.. as far as was she lying?  well.. it might not be an outright lie.. but it was something she should have disclosed and I could understand if her husband was upset.. and she should be apologizing.

Sandybeaches's picture

I never said that it was inconsequential just that a lot, more than half is paid. It was about 85,000.

She also did apologize and offer to fix it in whatever way he was comfortable having her do. He stopped speaking to her and makes her sleep on the couch so it is in limbo and for now she is just making payments on the existing 0% card but it runs out on April and she has to either transfer it or get hit with the interest. Which would add significantly to her debt. That is when she told me as her friend what was going on  

While she does have that option in her retirement plan she didn't think she should do that as that would seem like she was dipping into their future. He would have to sign the loan request she said and she felt it would cause more problems. She wants a loan not connected to their assets.  She showed me an offer from her bank for 5% interest if paid in 5 years. She was looking for 2-4 years.  

ESMOD's picture

My 401K doesn't require spousal approval for a loan.. but maybe what she has is set up differently.

Honestly.. whether she takes the loan outright with a bank.. or takes a loan from her 401K.. the end is still that she is having relatively less to go towards other things.  but at least with the 401K loan.. she is repaying herself the interest. (though she does lose appreciation during that time when she has the money).. but if she is taking a loan out anyway.. might as well repay herself.. lol.

What does suck is that her husband is being a jerk about it and not giving her any way to "fix" the issue.  Don't get me wrong, she WAS wrong to withhold this information in my book.. but does he really want to divorce her over it?  Is it fixable? can she fix it?  Would have have not married her had he known?  I mean.. yes.. he is upset.  He feels she wasn't honest and forthright with him. He is right.. she wasn't.. and she should be less worried about trying to justify herself with her "intent".. and go for the real meat of the issue.

I am sorry I wasn't open with you about this debt.  I want to fix it now.. and I felt I had to tell you.  I am sorry.. but how can we move on from this?  what do you want from me?  and let him tell her.. he can be mad.. but at some point he needs to admit that you can't change the past.. so what does he want to do about it NOW?  

Sandybeaches's picture

She has tried telling him pretty much what you have said. He is thinking on it now I guess and she is giving him the space to do that. 

I read her papers her retirement requires first that you leave 50% of it to your spouse should you die. It also requires a spousal approval form on any loan because should she die before it is paid back, it comes out of what a beneficiary would get. She felt under the circumstances with his anger this might not be the time to mention it so she is just paying as usual.

She is now deciding about one more transfer which would buy her 18 more months and maybe get a part time job to pay it in the 18 months. However a part-time job would be hard as she works full time now and cares for her husband's elderly mother every day in the evening so his mother doesn't have to go to a home. 

She is waiting it out with him for now hoping he speaks to her. 

Also the debt would be the same as it is right now as she paying the payment already and always has been. This way it would be paid off sooner. 

juststressedbeyondbelief's picture

Ohhhh noooo. You gotta be upfront with that crap.

I had about 30k of debt when I got married. My wife kinda laughed and told me that it's a "funny little loan".

I think 300k would have made her double-think getting married before it was paid off.

You don't get to sink someone like that. Not without them knowing.

Sandybeaches's picture

The whole story. Just the opposite she pays it herself and does not want him to feel responsible. 

She choose the wrong action by not telling him she knows that now. But since he won't speak to her it's kind of in limbo now as to where it is going. 

qtpie013178's picture

It's a lie of omission. My EXH did this. He said he had no debt, but had at least 30-40k in student loans. He also overstated his income and work history. He turned out to be dishonest, abusive and self-serving in several other areas as well.

Rags's picture

Okay, put the shoe on the other foot. If she were the fiscally responsible one and he were the credit dipshit how would she feel and since she is your friend, how would you feel if he was the one who sold her a bullshit bill of goods before they married and then said SURPRISE!!! after they were married?

It is a lie. Period.

Sandybeaches's picture

I do consider her fiscally responsible. If she weren't she would not have paid most of the debt off and she would not have 0% offers as you need good credit to get those.  Life costs money she put her kids through school, and herself, these were medical and dental bills house repairs etc.  She was alone 20 + years without child support as her first husband left with the babysitter never to be found again.  So I would not consider her irresponsible.  Next she sold him no story and didn't just say surprise and expect him to pay anything at all.  They didn't really discuss it before marriage.

Now if the tables were turned, I am a different kind of person.  I think that I would look at the fact that he didn't just try to go bankrupt and get rid of the debt and the debt itself was not irresponsible debt it was from life.  I would also weigh the fact that he wasn't asking her for anything and he was going to pay it off in just a few more years.  I would tell her to evaluate her relationship and if she thought she could move on from it work through it with him and if she felt it was to big to forgive than she would have to decide what she was doing about that too.  I would also have her evaluate the facts that he cared for her mother (that would be reversed so he would be caring for her mother not other way around) and that says a lot about a person. 

I don't know for me people make mistakes and as long as they are willing to fix them and own up to them I think real life comes with crap and you have to decide if you can move on from something.  This is me and I see from most posts here I am different.  I think she should have told him but I would also see and respect the person that paid for her kids and life on her own giving up all sorts of things to give to her kids and pay her bills.  I too am unconditional and I would try to work through it.  

She should have told him and she is sorry for that and takes full responsibility but what else is she supposed to do now that it is done?  She can only be sorry and take responsibility and offer to do whatever she can to fix it and has.  What else would you have her do now?  She is not a horrible person she made a bad judgment and is accepting all of the consequences with that.

sandye21's picture

I don't  understand why you asked for other peoples' opinions.  I'm done.

Sandybeaches's picture

Tell someone something. I felt to make others understand I had to give a back story so they understood what it was that she didn't tell. Instead I got all kinds of responses about how horrible she was. So I felt the need to keep explaining and 100 comments later here we are. 

I did want opinions and I too have learned a lot about what people think and that has been helpful to me as well.  Just because I happen to see things differently doesn't mean I didn't want opinions on the original question. The rest while I didn't bargain for it as I said taught me a lot too about what people think. 

Livingoutloud's picture

Sounds they don't have loving trusting relationship. It might not even be about money. Why did she marry this guy? She wasn't comfortable enough to admit she has debt which is not an indication of good marriage or she was afraid he won't marry her. You'd think at 40 she'd know not to marry someone you can't be honest with or marry someone without being honest. Her decision making ability is lacking. 

He makes her sleep on a couch and refuses to speak for three weeks, abusive. How does he "make" her? Notnsly whoever is upset would go on a couch. He kicked her out of bed? 3 weeks??? 

I'd not be surprised if money isn't the only issue in their marriage. They have no solid foundation of trust and mutual respect. Doesn't sound like it will last, which is for the best.  

Sandybeaches's picture

Sure how the sleeping on the couch thing continued but the first night he told her to as he was mad and from there she tried to talk to him and he wouldn't so maybe she just thought she should stay there until asked back in I am not too clear on that ..

It is abusive I agree.  I have told her that she should maybe talk to someone about all aspects of what happened.  Not just what is going on now but why when they seem so close and happy, why didn't she feel she could tell him about the debt.  It wasn't that big of a deal at that point if she had only told him.  She had it down to a very manageable amount.  

They have always seemed happy.  We hang out with them all of the time.  Never even a cross word.  They dated for 6 years before they got married as she wanted to wait until her youngest was done with school.  She had sold her house a few years before they started dating and she was living in an apartment.  

She never dated much.  She married her first husband at 18 and then when he left her when she was 25 she spent her time raising her kids and not dating.  She met her current husband when her kids were grown.  I am thinking she may have some trust issues from the first marriage ending I don't really know.  But she didn't mean to deceive him and eventually he needs to decide if he can get past it or if he wants to end it ....

Livingoutloud's picture

They dated for 6 years before getting married so overall they were together for the past 8 years and he only now finds out she has debt? How is it possible? I thought they got married quickly and not knowing each other. I had long term SO before, not married and I can't imagine how he'd not know I had student loans etc? That's weird. Either superficial relationship or she was deliberately secretive. In that many years she managed to keep a secret until now? That's a very long time to keep your partner in the dark. Do they never discuss expenses and finances?  I don't get it.  That's so bizarre.  

sandye21's picture

It DOES seem very weird.  Something doesn't add up.

Sandybeaches's picture

They never discussed how much or the particulars. He had bills coming into the relationship too. They didn't live together While they were dating and kept their own separate bills. And continued to-do that after they were married. 

I thought it was odd he didn't know too. I sort of think that is how it happened. They continued to live like they did when they were dating even after they were married. Financially I mean. 

Livingoutloud's picture

She pays minimum amount on 11k? Car payment amount?  It will take her ages! She can't afford paying more than that to eliminate her debt? Does she make minimum wages? This whole story is insane. 

Sandybeaches's picture

and that amount is about what many,  not all but many car payments can be.

I don't really see the "insane" part but ok .... I imagine if you dive into any story, typing responses without a face to face conversation it could seem hard to understand or follow.  

I have tried help her so I have bits and pieces as to what happened. 

Livingoutloud's picture

We keep separate accounts but we still talk to each other like even random exclamation "oh I am tired of this stupid bill" "I wish I could pay it sooner", do they not talk to each other? This was kept a secret deliberately otherwise no way he wouldn't know. You seem oddly defensive of this person and their doomed marriage.  

sandye21's picture

"You seem oddly defensive of this person and their doomed marriage."  Ya, I can understand 'concern' for a friend, but it IS hard to understand why someone would get defensive to such a degree.  It's no longer a difference of 'opinion, it's an argument.

And it gets stranger and stranger.  My DH and I went together for less than a year, and there were a  lot of omissions.  It's hard to believe a couple wouldn't know more about each other in 6 years.  I wish I'd waited 6 years!  LOL

Sandybeaches's picture

Below and above my opinions and feelings on my friend I don't think it is that difficult to understand. However you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine

Sandybeaches's picture

" You seem oddly defensive of this person and their doomed marriage." 

She is my best friend and I know her.  Many comments while they may be someones prerogative, are saying how horrible she is like she has no redeeming qualities.  So of course I would be defensive knowing her as I do.  Watching her give up her entire social life to care for her husbands mother EVERY day after working a long day!!  She made a mistake but she has good qualities to.  

I also know that people make mistake and are not perfect.  I am of the mindset if someone is sorry, owns a mistake and is willing to take responsibility for it they should have the opportunity to fix it.  If someone feels that something can't be forgiven, that is also their right and they should say so and move on.   

They do talk as far as I see but I guess not enough about money.  

hereiam's picture

She screwed up, has apologized, and is going to continue to take care of her debt. He had a right to be mad but now, instead of trying to move forward, he is just being an abusive jerk. If he wants a divorce, he needs to just say so.

Regardless of whether anybody thinks it was a lie, a lie by omission, dishonesty, or whatever, the real problem now is that he is not speaking to her. Not speaking to your spouse and not sleeping together for 3 weeks can be very damaging to a marriage. I can't even imagine not speaking to my husband for 3 WEEKS. Or the resentment I would have for him if he gave me the silent treatment for that long. And, if he were mad at me, HE would be the one sleeping on the couch (which I have never really been a believer in, it solves nothing).

He would damn sure be taking care of own mother.

Sandybeaches's picture

I think this is what I have been trying to say ! Thank you for putting it so well !!

I said that same thing about his mother. My friend said she could never do that. Her MIL loves her and looks forward to her help she said she could never do that to her. 

Livingoutloud's picture

But that's why I said their marital problems are about way more than just money. He kicked her out of bed? What???   not talking to her?? She hid things from him for many years??? Was afraid to share? Etc none of those things are ok. Not a sign of good marriage 

Sandybeaches's picture

Thank you all that responded .... While the question was whether or not it was considered to be a Lie if you do not tell someone something, I still wanted to update you on my friend and her situation.

Her story took more than one interesting twist.  She and her husband finally discussed their situation and he did tell her that even if she had been paying the debt and able to handle it he would not have married her had he known she had that much debt.  In an interesting twist she found out he had several loans out against his retirement that stemmed from debt from his prior marriage.  For some unknown reason he does not think this is the same thing.  My friend and I both think that it is.  

I also wondered if he got so mad because he knew he had debt too.  I just can't figure how he doesn't think it is the same thing.  He seems to want her to be perfect but he doesn't have to be.  

She being unconditional would definitely have helped him pay off his debt as she is unconditional and doesn't believe in " I love you but you can't do this or that."  (except of course the obvious things like cheating or hitting her ) So she told me that she actually learned something else from this.  If she had exposed all of herself to him from the get go she would have learned that she did not want to marry him based on the fact that he is conditional and she is not.  Another reason to be upfront.

I think they are going to separate at least for now.  She is going to stay at his mother's for a bit until she can get her health on track and either get her an aid to come in or move her to a nursing home.  This will give them a few weeks to decide if they want this to be permanent.  I think my friend actually does and she sees him differently now after he did not speak to her for 3 weeks and knowing he would not have married her if he knew she had debt.  It is also hard when he did the same thing and ridiculed her for not telling him.  

Again, thank you to all posters.  I learned a lot from this too.  What is that saying about good intentions not mattering or something ???  To me they do and while I know my friend is a good person I learned that many people only see the truth that she didn't share.  Valuable information for sure !!

Rags's picture

It is most definitely absolutely the same thing.

Interestingly, those who protest the most seem to be even worse than the person they are protesting about.

You friend needs to cut this hypocritical shallow liar off.

Next time, she needs to be open on her finances from the first discussion of marriage.

sandye21's picture

Hope this is a lesson learned for her.  It sounds like neither one were honest with each other.  Dishonesty always finds a way to come out sooner or later.  Fortunately for your friend she learned early on in the marriage. She can now move on with a greater appreciation for honesty in a relationship, which builds trust.

As cold as it seems, it is of a great benefit to check a potential mate out before tying the knot.  It will prevent unnecessary heartache and frustration.  I write from experience.

Sandybeaches's picture

Thank you for your input Sandy!! 

Sandybeaches's picture

I am not sure why he can't see that!!  

That was the saying I was trying to think of and couldn't !!  Thank You !!!

hereiam's picture

In an interesting twist she found out he had several loans out against his retirement that stemmed from debt from his prior marriage. For some unknown reason he does not think this is the same thing.

Oh wow, what an ass. It is EXACTLY the same thing.

BethAnne's picture

I'm glad she is considering leaving him. This relationship had a number of red flags from him isolating her away from her friends, using her as a carer for his mother all the way through to his over reaction and prolonged "punishment" for her revelation and now his own inability to see parellels between their situations and respective debts. They don't sound like a good match.

I'm glad she has a good friend like you to help her out.  

Sandybeaches's picture

the thing is they always seemed so great together.  It just goes to show I guess you don't always know what goes on in peoples relationships.  

I agree I don't understand why he doesn't see it.  It said to her that it was something he has had for years before her and it comes right out of his check so he doesn't even think of it.  

Hers is also from years ago and on it's way to being paid also.  He knew she had debt and student loans.  they just never discussed how much.  I also think she felt it was almost paid as it was a lot more.  

Thank you again.  I try to listen and offer he advice when asked without judgemental.  

Livingoutloud's picture

I'd say the only truly unconditional love we feel is for our children.

All other loves are conditional as we expect things in return (not material things I mean) we have expectations and preferences and standards that we expect from a partner (unless we are too desperate to even duscriminate). I see a lot on this board how men treating women like crap but women stick around being doormats because their love is "unconditional". It's stupid and naive to be that desperate for a man to take on a man "unconditionally"

my response to all this is the same as from the beginning of  this thread.

People must disclose before marrying. This belief how they have rights to be private about their  affairs and can omit whatever they want blew in their faces.  it's also telling how after 8 years they weren't comfortable enough to even share with each other. What a superficial relationship. They are better off divorcing.  

Hope she can get through it quick and painless and I'd not be moving out to care for his mother. That doesn't seem wise to me. 

Rags's picture

IMHO a parent's love for a child is transitional.  Initially it certainly is unconditional for most parents.  As kids grow up it shifts to a conditional thing.  Not necessarily from the perspective of the feelings of love but certainly from the demonstation of the actions of love.

Toxic kids lose the unconditional love of their parents. Or should lose it.

If they don't then the parent is little more than an enabler of the kid's toxicity.

Rags's picture

No doubt your love for your kid is unconditional.  Because  you are raising your child  to be decent human being and they repeatedly earn your love by being a decent human being.

Maybe love for a kid is unconditional, maybe it is having access to the parent that is conditional.  Or at least should be.

Though I fail to comprehend how anyone can love a mean, evil, lying, theiving, manipulative, self absorbed, happiness sucking asshole even if that asshole is a projectile from their own pelvic region.

Scratch one-s head

Livingoutloud's picture

Toxic or poorly behaved children should lose privileges but not love, majority of parents (provided that they are sane) don't stop loving their children because they misbehave or what not. I can't imagine what would my daughter have to do for me to stop  loving her. Most sane people love their children more than they love anyone else in this world. 

Saying that when kids grow up, parental love for them turns into a conditional love makes zero sense.  

you can fall out of love with your wife, your ex wife was a bad person, you don't love her anymore because she treated you badly, in fact you hate her and never want to see her again. You are now married to someone else whom you love.

You don't fall out of love with your kids. You don't replace poorly behaved kids with well behaved ones. Love for ones children is unconditional, which differs from love for a romantic partner who can be replaced, whom you can stop loving, etc 

Sandybeaches's picture

Agreed.  I know you aren't speaking to me in your post but I wanted to clarify what I meant anyway.

What I meant at the beginning when I said toxic kids maybe. I didn't mean the love had conditions I meant what you are willing to do for them. If they have issues or they are bleeding you dry asking for money it helps no one to keep helping instead of addressing their issues. Just to clarify. 

Livingoutloud's picture

Oh absolutely. If for example my kid decided to not work or go to school and tried to live off me, I'd not go for it. I'd expect her to pull her own way. But I'd not stop loving her or cut ties with her. I have expectations for my kid but even if she didn't meet those expectations, I'd not love her less  

Sandybeaches's picture

that she had the right to keep things private.  She made a mistake as I have stated and you don't agree with my notion of mistake .. We agree to disagree

I also do not think that unconditional love is being desperate. 

Quite frankly I think it is very sad to think that someone would change how they felt about a person based a problem that might have.  And before you jump I am not speaking of my friend I am speaking in general about being unconditional love 

As I have stated of course I am not speaking of the obvious abuses of ones love I am talking about situations and problems....  remember good times and bad?  How sad if it is considered to be desperate because you would stick with someone who has a problem.  My husband and I get mad at each other no doubt but in the end he is with me and I am with him...  We made a vow we don't intend to throw away just because one of us is faced with a problem or issue... 

And that is what is meant by unconditional.  

Livingoutloud's picture

Of course I'd not leave my DH because he developed a problem in the course of our marriage or because we had an argument. 

But when I married him I expected to know who I married as I have certain standards and expectations. Like if my DH turned out to be a liar, or a cheat or abuser, or turned out marrying me on false pretenses, then how and why would he demand I remain unconditionally devoted to him? That makes no sense 

your friends situation is different. She didn't developed a new problem and now he is being a jerk not loving her unconditionally. She lied prior to marrying him, and when the lie was discovered she is now upset he isn't accepting her unconditionally. Turns out he lied too! 

I don't see how one needs to unconditionally accept that their partner lied or conveniently omitted important info.
in addition everyone has preferences and expectations. People have rights to marry people who fit their expectations. It doesn't make them selfish.

It's unrealistic to expect people to love romantic partners with zero conditions or expectations. He didn't want to marry someone whth debt. That's his right. I didn't want to marry anyone with young kids. It's my right. Etc Marrying whoever with zero expectations is a silly desperate thing to do.

So romantic love isn't unconditional 

Sandybeaches's picture

I don't think you read before you respond... I think you just described the exact same thing that I did as the exceptions to unconditional.  

She was not upset that he didn't tell her she was upset because he judged her for the same thing he did BIG HUGE difference.

She was willing to work through it in any way he wanted to until he said that he never would have married her and until he judged her so harshly for doing the same thing..... 

You seem to read things that aren't there and be very judgemental when people are willing to accept the consequences that they did something wrong.  Once someone has made a mistake the only thing they can do is own it and try to fix it.  You can't change what has already been done.  

Livingoutloud's picture

Bottom line they both lied and now it blew in their faces. They deserve each other.