You are here

Father's Day

EOWinparadise's picture

When you and DH don't have any children together, but he has some from another marriage, what do you do to celebrate Father's Day?

EOWinparadise's picture

Really? Nothing? Lol. It's interesting you say this because I typically buy him a gift and have the kids do cards and that kind of thing, but I have always felt uncomfortable with it. Those are not my children. I buy a gift and card for my daughter's dad so she can give it to him. I can't stand him, but I do it for her. BM is too busy trying to convince the world my DH doesn't exist (even though he has his kids 50% of the time and often times more) and making dad gifts for her boyfriend to have them do something for their real dad. I don't know how most people handle this kind of situation.

Lemonlimez's picture

I got DH an awesome gift from the dogs who are more loyal and loving than any skid will ever be! I can't wait!!

EOWinparadise's picture

LOL! I hear you on that. I don't hate my skids, I'd just be lying if I said I was excited to see them when I get home. My precious dogs, on the other hand, I'm always happy to see them.

hereiam's picture

I take DH out to eat. He loves to go out to eat and that's what he wants.

I do something for him because even though we have no kids together, he is a father; he's always been a good dad and I want him to know that I recognize that, even though his bratty adult daughters don't.

EOWinparadise's picture

I took him out for dinner with just the two of us, because skids have zero table manners and are embarrassing to be seen with in public. They are coming back tonight from BM's. I don't ever want him to feel bad on Father's Day, like no one appreciates him. I just don't particularly care for having to do the whole "cards and gifts with my skids" thing. I know it sounds terrible, but I don't.

EOWinparadise's picture

I understand. Different situations call for different decisions. Hope you two enjoy your Sunday, then!

ej'scrazy's picture

I help the skids make a gift for DH. We have done so every year I have been in the picture. However, the skids ask me to help them and come up with ideas, so I have no problem helping them pull it off. Some years, it takes more time and effort and other years, it's just more money.

BM used to do things for DH for father's day, weird things. However, she's been increasingly difficult as the years go by (opposite of how I thought it would be), and she is 'punishing' DH this year by keeping the skids and didn't get him a gift because the skids didn't do anything for her for mother's day (I asked if they wanted to, and they said no).

Dizzy's picture

I let DH and SD decide what to do for the special day, and I also take SD out to get a gift (this year cuff links, cuz DH recently lost a cuff link) and a card. SD opted to make a card this year. I made sure to step in from the beginning and handle things this way, because I didn't want BM getting herself involved with a gift or anything special for my DH--she's the type that would try to reminisce and/or make it about "them", rather than him.

Today, they are going to breakfast (I might join if I'm back in time from visiting a friend). Later, we are all going to a movie, and then DH said he wants a good burger, so we will go have burgers somewhere. Simple day, just the way he likes it.

Sadasusual's picture

This is my second year as a soon to be stepmom. I don't have any kids of my own. This year I did the same thing as last year, I helped SS6 put together a cute little handmade book "all about my dad". BM sent SS over for the weekend with a Father's Day card and $45 gift cards to the movie theatre. SS was totally stoked to give his dad the movie cards and couldn't have given a shit about my dumb little handmade gift. Even the in laws kept going on and on about how generous BM was. I decided I'm not going to do gifts like that anymore until we have our own kids. Kind of just ended up making me feel bad I guess.