You are here

Failing School

losingmymind's picture

What do you do when your SK is failing in school and the BM won't do anything about it?

DH pays for half of a tutor that BM said she needed for SD in court back in Sept. but BM never got the tutor.

smurfy1smile's picture

Stop paying for the tutor. BF could call the school and speak with the teacher and see what the trouble is. Also talk to the principal and see if your SD may need to be tested for learning issues. Once the school starts looking into it, then BM wil have to face it because the school will call her in for a meeting or will give her the results of any testing or observations. This could help SD do better and maybe, just maybe, BM will have to get off her a$$.

losingmymind's picture

The tutor money is actually figured into child support. When we had it modified back in Sept it came out to an amount and then the judge had our attorney add that half to the amount. It is even bench noted on the court records page that it is an addition for "special needs".

We did call the school. Everytime that something has come up in regards to school we have only found out about because DH checks in with the school. He has asked to be put in the loop via mail or email but for some reason that seems to be cut short. The new school teacher is doing everything that they can but the year is almost up. The programs like Sylvan could work and we would like to have an assesment done but again...we can't take her as we live 700 miles away.

BM is very manipulative. Her and SD have been telling us for a month that school was going "much better" "doing great!" until DH emailed the teacher and got the horrible report. It was so bad that the teacher felt it was better to talk on the phone.

BM says that SD is ADHD and just keeps getting her medication upped so much that SD doesn't even sound the same to us when we talk to her.

I just wish we could have her with us and I know she would be fine in school because I would work with her or pay for help and actually take her.

DH emailed her about the Sylvan and BM won't respond. Imagine that!

frustratedinMA's picture

Isnt that a violation of the court order then?? if he is to pay tutor costs.. then there should be tutoring being performed.. and if its not.. then she isnt holding up her end of the court order.

I would let her know that if she does not get sd into tutoring soon, and an improvement seen in her grades and testing, that you will have her hauled back into court for contempt of the court order.