You are here

ADHD or Spoiled entitled brat???

CalliMay09's picture

So SS13 was NEVER great in school, hated school but mange to pass each year. The older SS got and harder school got the worse he did. SS has been Professionally diagnosed with ADHD and on medication. This year SS said the only good thing about school is he sees his friends. 

SS13 is failing 6 out of 8 classes. He lies about completely HW or outright Refuses to do it 80 percent of the time. SS HATES reading and out right told us he's not doing ANY reading this year for English. Even work that is done in class SS is not doing. Not sure WHAT he's doing during classtime??

Both DH and BM think these issues are related to SS ADHD. SS13 is in a Special IEP program at school for extra support. SS has great teachers that have offered to work with him one on one to catch up but SS refuses to stay after school or meet with them. SS refuses to work with a Tutor. SS refuses to study or take notes for tests even with help so he fails over 50 percent. 

Bottom line is I think SS is just this spoiled rotten brat who ONLY wants to do fun things and school work is not fun. 

Im no expert but to me this is more of a defiant brat than a kid who is Struggling to understand the  material. 

I'm just Curious what others think?

tog redux's picture

Well, they aren't mutually exclusive, he can have ADHD and be entitled.  Does he have a therapist? Some ADHD kids find school so frustrating that they just give up and refuse to try. It's hard for people without ADHD to understand how challenging schoolwork can seem to kids like this. 

Or, he could just be defiant and not get enough consequences to choose to make the effort and use the resources that he has. 

Jcksjj's picture

Its probably both. Maybe some insecurity too, so he's just not even going to try because he doesn't want to fail. I'm confused why he would have to stay after school though- if he has an IEP doesn't he have resources during the day too?

simifan's picture

ADHD or not, he is 13. He has to participate in school. What is DH & BM to punish his refusals? Are they willing to support him throughout his life since he will be uneducated? 

CalliMay09's picture

BM will complain to SS's therapist but that's about it. Therapist's response is the change SS's meds. DH does even less in fear SS will hate him and not want to come over. 

Steppedonnomore's picture

Kids with ADHD typically need MORE parental involvement.  If neither parent is willing to put in the effort, don't expect any positive changes in your SS.  

notarelative's picture

SS13 refuses to do schoolwork. He has an IEP. He is ADHD. In August you wrote about him hating people. Considering everything you wrote about, while he may be entitled and/or spoiled, there is more going on and this child needs a professional comprehensive evaluation.

When I looked at your past blogs I noticed you also wrote about SD13. Are they twins?

notarelative's picture

In a previous blog you indicated SD was throwing her ADHD meds away while at your house and DH was aware of it. Is DH allowing SS to do the same?

Harry's picture

It's up to his parents to deal with this kid. Not you being the only one who cares.  You will lose this war.  Just make sure that this kid does not become a house sitter at yout home l.   Have a plan,  he out at 18   With him being defiant, and having ADHD. He is never going to live on his own

Rags's picture

ADHD is just an excuse.  Spoiled brat... is a result of crappy parenting.

This kid needs mommy and daddy's feet up his ass and to  realize a life of abject misery until he pulls his head out of his ass and does his school work.