You are here

disipling step kids

royce0869's picture

The BM has asked me to be responsible for the disciplining of our children. Punishment ranges from lost t.v. time to time out, never any physical punishment. Usually, when discipline is being dole out, she comes behind me and either changes or does not enforce the disipline set down. She also complains that the kids have no respect for her and now the seem to have little respect for me as well. I am trying to help her see the problems that our actions now will cause in the future, but her excuse is that she feels bad the kids are in punishment. A little advice please.

royce0869's picture

Thanks for the advice. Everything worked out and you all sparked a few new ideas, thank you.

Orange County Ca's picture

If she's is going to undermine you then its a waste of time. Either she leaves you to it or you get out of that business.

Calypso1977's picture

"the BM" and "our children"

trying ot figure out who you are... are you the bio-dad or are you a step parent? if you are the step parent, then why isnt bio-dad the one BM is asking to discipline? why would the BM ask you?

regardless of who is disciplining who, all you can do is make sure you are being consistent within your household and that you and the other parent within your household is being consistent. its near impossible (at least in our situation) to make discipline and punishments stick in the other household. we have committed to making BM's disciplines stick in our house, but BM never disciplines so its a moot commitment.