You are here

Dealing with a teenage step daughter who has anxiety and depression issues.

Want It To Work's picture

I live with an amazing lady who has 4 children. I never had any children.

Her youngest daughter has anxiety and depression issues. At 18 years old the step daughter has made some very poor decisions then when things go bad from those decisions she falls into deep depression and won't let anyone talk to her. Won't listen to reason. Difficult to deal with.

It takes a lot of energy to be around her at the best of times. She is a need, need, need, want, want, want, me, me, me type of gal. When things are bad it is unbearable.

What have men done to not let the situation consume their life?
Has anyone made breakthroughs with difficult step children and if so what did you do?

Thanks
Paul

hereiam's picture

Does the girl go to school or work?

What has your "amazing lady" been doing to guide her daughter into adulthood? Anything? It sounds like she needs some counseling and somebody to hold her accountable for her decisions. Is she getting any help for her anxiety and depression?

If she has been allowed to get away with this behavior all of her life, it is not going to be easy, but her mother is doing her a disservice by allowing it to continue. The girl may have a real mental issue, like clinical depression, that needs to be dealt with.