You are here

Daddy...Daddy...DADDY!

SemiSaneMama's picture

Maybe it's just me but I think a 12yr old boy is way too old to be constantly yelling "Daddy" ...

I get the fact that SS12 is immature. I understand he is brainwashed by his nut bag mom but my god almighty, it's like someone's running fingernails down a chalkboard 100 times a day.

Lillian23's picture

Ever since SS turned 7 in November I've wondered when "Daddy" will stop and become "Dad." My mom has told me that I called her Mommy until I was probably 5 or 6 and then moved on to Mom (I would have NEVER called my Dad "Daddy" because we had a very rough relationship when I was young.) I think I actually Googled once "When do kids stop saying Daddy and Mommy."

So help me God, if "Daddy" lasts until age 12...I don't know what I will do. And from a BOY. Ugh I can't. The one thing I hope for (for myself and you!) is that peer pressure will end the "Daddy" phase at some point. For example, a male friend/peer saying "Ew you still call your Dad 'Daddy'? Are you a baby?" Maybe harsh, but that's how kids talk and I think it can help them mature as long as it's not bullying.

SemiSaneMama's picture

I'm sure at some point a random kid in Jr. high will make fun of SS12 for wearing his LLBean backpack with his name stitched on it complete with matching lunch box BM got for him. Maybe then SS will stop with the "Daddy" crap.

I feel your pain. I've googled the same thing. DH will not address it.

Lillian23's picture

Ohhh the matching LLBean...cute at 5 years old. Not cute in middle school.

I spend a lot of time with SS because my SO works long hours and we have him 50% of the time. I think I'm going to start referring to him as "Dad" when I talk to SS. So like when he wants to do something that isn't my call, for example, I'll say "Well you can ask your Dad when he get's home" instead of "your Daddy." Maybe if *I* start using it, he'll catch on? Same with Mommy. I can't STAND to hear "When I'm at my Mommy's we do this and my Mommy let's me stay up until 1am blah blah." New reply: "That's great! Your Mom has her own rules and me and your Dad have our own rules."

Saturday morning epiphany! Thanks, Semi! (I, too, am only semi-sane. No judgement here.)

learningallthetime's picture

Yeah, BS8 has been transitioning to mom and dad...probably from the age of 5, where it was all mommy and daddy, to now where I would say it is 99% mom and dad, with the odd slip.

Starryeyed's picture

My ss 12 says "daddy" too. I tried to embarrass him slightly by laughing at him when he said it, still hasn't worked. I always said "dad". Whole thing is so weird!!

Rags's picture

8 IMHO is too old for a kid to call parents Mommy or Daddy. Mom and Dad is more appropriate beyond 6ish IMHO.

That said, many in the South refer to their fathers as Daddy all of their lives. My mother and aunt do. So does my former boss who is a man in his mid 50s.

No Name's picture

I guess I have never thought about this one. Mine say Mom and Dad. DH's say Mommy and Daddy and they are adults. My Aunts (in their 70's and 80's) refer to my deceased grandfather as Daddy. Things could be worse. I don't think that I would worry so much about this one unless where you live no one ever uses Mommy and Daddy and the kid will be an outcast.

SemiSaneMama's picture

We aren't located in the South so it's not common to use "daddy & mommy" past the age of 6-7ish. My DD10 stopped saying "mommy" at around 7 years old. I find it creepy & the fact that DH won't speak to SS about acting babyfied is a whole other issue. BM has kept skids in her religious bubble for years and now the poor kid can't function in the real world. No friends & embroidered backpacks. So glad I'm disengaged. Shew.

SemiSaneMama's picture

Come to think of it I probably stopped calling my father " daddy" at a very early age however, as he is approaching 80 years old I find myself calling him "daddy" again when I hang up the phone. In my opinion I can see this scenario ( woman calling her father "daddy") but it seems off to me for a man to call his father "daddy". The constant use of daddy.. daddy ...daddy is annoying.

canihandlethis's picture

SD is only 4 so I expect that she uses Daddy. What grates my nerves is it is a constant stream of daddy daddy daddy. In one minute I counted her saying it 12 times. It is making me hate the word. It is over use. I dont know how SO can stand it seen as it is directed at him. Non stop.

SemiSaneMama's picture

Soooo SS12 just said "Daddy" 12 times in 6 minutes... I'm outta here- time for retail therapy!