You are here

Daddy obsessed 9y/o step son

rebelthor's picture

I am not officially step mother yet...and at this rate I won't be unless some thing changes. My boyfriends son is 9 years old...and a complete sissy. Not only is he completely spoiled and undisciplined but he is far too obsessed with his father. His father tries to allow him to sleep in our bed, and I have to be the mean one when I protest. For one it's no longer appropriate for two our bed is far too small. As I am writing this I am in bed alone because boyfriend fell asleep on the living room floor because step child demanded he watch a movie with him...and when I went to wake boyfriend up to come to bed stepson grabbed him and yelled at me "no! Don't wake him" and started crying because he wanted to sleep with him. I feel like I am around just to cater to this mean little boy. I have to constantly pick up after him even though he has been told many times to pick up after himself...his father never punishes him. Time alone with my boyfriend is very rare as the child refuses to go to his mother's house...and is really not allowed due to the environment. The boy often makes the days off everyone shares all about him. He wants all of dad's attention all the time. I try to do things alone with the mid but he's always unimpressed and unappreciative. All he cares about is his dad. He has his ownhuge room and bbathroom upstairs and refuses to sleep in his room or use his own bathroom because dad is downstairs so he sleeps on the couch and uses our bathroom. Like I said I feel like I'm only around to cater to this kid. The rivalry is real but one sided. He's a spoiled brat because dad's child hood was crappy. What should I do? I want to voice my concern to my boyfriend without being rude or stating a fight....

still learning's picture

And it could last well beyond 9-10 years. OP, hop on over to the Adult Stepchildren forum and read about 20-30 year olds who still want to live with and be catered to by daddy. There are some situations you cannot change.

Rags's picture

And at the point the little shit toxic spawn pulled that manipulative crap you should have resched down, grabbed his ear, twisted it, lifted him up, and marched him screaming to his own bedroom y his twisted ear while swatting his butt to the mantra of "you(swat) ..... will(swat)..... not(swat)..... ever(swat)..... speak(swat)...... to(swat)..... me(swat)...... or(swat)....... any(swat)...... adult(swat)...... that(swat)...... way(swat) ...... again(swat)....... do(swat)...... you(swat)...... under(swat)....... stand(swat)...... me(swat)......? Then dump him in his bed and close with "If you like to have your ear twisted and your butt swatted then get out of that bed. If you do not go to bed in your own bed tomorrow without being a brat we will do this again. Do you understand me?"

End of problem.

Not rude at all. Just countering the failure of a useless parent.

still learning's picture

18 spankings and ear twistings while dragging him to his room :jawdrop: This may have flown in the 50's but today she would be in jail for sure and bf may lose the kid for allowing abuse.

hereiam's picture

I agree with tommar, this is how your BF wants to raise his son. You shouldn't have to say anything, if your BF wanted things to be different, they would be.

Last In Line's picture

It is just going to get worse as time goes on. The sleeping thing may eventually change, but other things that are equally as bothersome will take the place of it. BF has made SS #1 priority, you will always be 2nd at best. BF isn't going to magically change into a rule enforcer and he isn't going to suddenly start having boundaries for this child. He might "try", but that will last a couple of days at best. You have to decide if you want to live that life.

forever2's picture

Oh my gosh rebelthor. This is long but bear with me. Your post caught my eye because SS was 9 when I started seriously dating BF, now husband, and his kid was a clingy, immature little brat. Honestly, I could have written your post 7 years ago (and I probably did several times in several ways over the years). Sometimes I wonder if the posters come back and read the replies. I really hope you do. I always figure if my experience can help one woman have a better life, I had some purpose on this site. If any women ever asks me for advice, I tell them never never never get involved with a man with children. I assume you have no children of your own? Me neither. The poor decisions I made by living with a man enslaved by his ex and kid took those dreams away. The skid you are describing was mine. SS was obsessed with his dad to the point that he literally would not let go of him physically. He clung to him like a toddler. He was still sitting on his lap in public at age 12. He still held his hand when they went to the mall at age 11. He would not (and I mean never) go to bed without at least a half hour tuck-in session with his dad. I lost count of the times I was trying to have a nice dinner with my husband but the skid would stand on the stairs and whine until daddy left the dinner table, walked him up to bed, and sat with him for an hour until he went to sleep. Guess who ate her cold dinners alone while the love fest transpired? This night time ritual went on for years, and I think my husband finally saw my point when the kid was entering high school and wouldn't go to bed alone. Even now at age 16, skid and my husband send lovey dovey good night text pages back and forth at bedtime, and half the time my husband finds some excuse to go to his room for a tuck in. Usually he acts like he is just taking his kid a glass of water, as if the teenager doesn't know how to use the faucet himself. They enable each other in their sickening dependence. Your comments struck home because if skid ever wanted extra attention, he would come crying into our room, tell daddy he couldn't sleep, and then daddy would happily leave my side and go sleep with skid on his floor or grosser, with him in bed. One day before we moved in together, I went to my then boyfriend's house and saw a stuffed animal in his bed. Turns out the kid was spending the nights with daddy in bed when I wasn't there. EWWWW. When I asked, hubby got defensive and said it was too hot upstairs so the kid slept with him in his room downstairs. Who sleeps with a 9 year old boy? By the way, he finally broke the skid of that nasty stuffed animal habit when he was 12. He is so emotionally delayed its pathetic. These things don't end by themselves when the dad has no balls and no initiative to change them. As the SM, you are powerless to change the kid yourself, or you will be called an evil child-hating jealous monster. I remember the days when skid was 9 or 10 and I dreaded the skid weekends. I would literally wait for the 30 seconds per day that skid you go to the bathroom to be able to say something to my husband in private. Skid would never spend one minute out of daddy's sight. Skid was the master manipulator, and all he had to do at bedtime was say...."but daddy, you don't spend enough time with me!" Then quality adult time was gone and my husband would cuddle on the couch until midnight with his kid in a pathetic attempt to repay him for the being so neglected. There was never a moment when skid didn't have his daddy's full attention, and as he got a little older, 13 or 14 and discovered video games (the best thing that ever happened to me) then hubby freaked at the loss of his clingy little monster and would walk upstairs at least twice an hour just to see if the skid needed anything or was feeling in any way neglected. Now skid is 16, two LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG years away from college and has much changed? Not really. Now my husband will make skid gourmet meals and deliver them to his bedroom so he doesn't have to interupt his video games by walking downstairs to the dining room. By some twist of nature, skid managed to get a girlfriend (I feel sorry for this poor misguided girl) and now my husband's job in life is to constantly drive skid around to various social events, picking him up at 1 or 2am or whenever he demands, despite the fact my husband needs to sleep and get to work every day. SS doesn't want to drive even though daddy bought him a car, because he is too lazy to learn or take the exam, plus daddy is the best chauffer, always on time with a nice heated car waiting at all hours...why drive yourself? My husband even drives the skid to school every day and we live one block from the school! You probably think I am making this up but sadly I am not. Skid refuses to get a job since daddy gives him all the money he wants. He has never made a decision in his life because he texts daddy about 100 times a day when an little issue arises. He probably sits on the toilet and texts dad to ask how many times to wipe. I go on an on and could go on forever just to show you your future. If the man won't see his child for what he is, and won't have any discipline and won't set any boundaries and won't value your role as his partner, things will NOT get better. They will change as the kid ages, but they won't get better. A kid like my SS who was a clingy little brat at 9, will become a manipulating clingy little demanding brat at age 16, just a lot more expensive with much more acne,a really shitty attitutude and a repetoire of foul language. They learn that they get whatever they want and they learn not to respect their push over pathatic dad. They have learned that you don't matter at all in the house because their dad has shown them for years that you don't matter. If they ever were cute, they aren't anymore as teenagers, just pure evil. Bottom line, if the man won't change, the kid won't change and your life won't get any better. As years pass, you give up more and more and then you hesitate to leave because you have already wasted to much time, so many years. It becomes more difficult to throw in the towel and walk away, a decade older. Then you get closer and closer to the kid shipping of for college and you try to convince yourself that it will all magically improve when the kid leaves. Will the years of being treated like a distant second be suddenly forgotten? Will you immediately drop the resentment and live happily ever after. Probably not, but I haven't gotten there yet. You know in your heart what to do. Don't be like me, posting on steptalk 7 years from now about how much you wished you had listened to yourself back then.

TheBrightSide's picture

Forever2, this was my life too, except when I met DH, SD was 6. She's now 14 and we've been separated for 2 years.

The ONLY thing I would add is one simple fact. Its not the SS's or SD's of the world causing these problems, its DH.

My DH did exactly those things, the co-sleeping, the constant entertaining, never allowing SD to feel a moment of anything but joy and happiness. But what HE got out of it was the fact that he got to WIN. He got to be the number 1 parent. He got to be so needed and loved and wanted by his bio child.

You will never be in a position to idolize, love, need him like his child will. These co-dependent relationships that men (and women) create with their children stem from their f*cked up childhoods where they didn't feel needed or loved. Now, in adulthood, they're able to create this relationship with their own children. Show me a effed up co-dependent relationship between a parent and their bio, and I'll show you an extremely insecure person.

Sure, they say things like "My ex doesn't parent well". "Ex is Crazy". "I'm all she has in the world". Its all bullshit. They created this environment and honey, its not going to change.

OP listen to me: You are entitled to want the life that you want for yourself, whatever that looks like. If you want to be in a relationship with someone where you matter, where your needs are met, you are ENTITLED to that. You are NOT required to wrap your life around some man. If he wants to be with you, he can accommodate you and your needs sometimes.

Its so simple. You don't have to live a life waiting for him to just spend an hour with you here and there. Tell him, this is what I need from you. (I assume you're a reasonable person that understands he does still have to parent his child). If he doesn't meet those needs (and this is the tough part). Walk away.

It took me 6 years before I walked away for the final time. It wasn't easy because I loved this man more than anything, but I didn't love him more than I loved myself.

rebelthor's picture

Thank you all for your input and advice. I thought I was alone...and worried that if I push the issue I would just look like that mean evil jealous SM. I cannot fucking wait until next Tuesday. (School starts) and I get Mondays and Tuesdays off with my boyfriend while SS will be in school. I voiced some of my concerns to bf this morning while ss was sleeping. He did get on his ass about a few things I mentioned. Hopefully we can have a more in depth talk soon. I do not have children of my own...i need to decide if this is something I want as I am about to turn 27. Of course ss has said multiple times he does not want any silblings...for the obvious reason... (another person sucking daddy's attention) at least I can help mold my child's behavior and they won't grow up a little shit. But I don't know if I can handle another child with SS and his shitty behavior and dependance. SS bio mom called earlier to take him to the pool...he refused to go Bc he didn't want to be away from his dad. Fucking titty baby. Not a moment of peace lately! And the boy talks constantly from the time he opens his eyes until the time he shuts them. Bf had to tell him to stop talking yesterday it was so constant he was causing both of us to get a headache. I will give it some more time...not long...before I start packing my shit and looking for a new place.

TheBrightSide's picture

OMG Rebelthor, my SD (an only child) constantly told me and DH that she didn't want siblings.

You have to decide what you are willing to accept and what your deal breakers are. You are young, you have a life ahead of you. I'm telling you, your boyfriend is unlikely to change how he parents this child.

Yes, on the outside it looks like he is parenting his child out of guilt, but really, the relationship he has with his son works for him. He loves it.

Please decide what it is you want. Tell him then walk away if he can't deliver.

SemiSaneMama's picture

Omg I feel like I wrote this post 6 years ago. I thought (now SS12 ) would grow out of it too. Nope. SS12 almost 13 is still clingy, it's "daddy, daddy, DADDY. PLAY WITH MEEEEEEEE,,,," , EOWE 24/7! DH caters to him. It's like they're BFFs. I'm about to lose my shit!

Run. Run away before you're hitched. You can change the situation. It will continue and you will only be the third wheel !