You are here

Constantly undermined - is this normal?

Just me in a big pool of fish's picture

Constantly undermined....I guess I've already answered my own question in that I don't think this is normal? I have been with my dbf for a year and a half and he has joint custody of his son nearly 10. My dbf is a strict parent when it comes to raising his son. When I try to be involved in little things, I am always shot down, this may be small things like can he have a biscuit, my dbf will reply "well i didnt tell you that you could have one". I've tried to explain that I don't want a parenting role but that he needs to respect me also and that can not be achieved by being constantly undermined e.g. the other day, i asked skid to pass me my laptop, dbf replies no and skid randomly walks off leaving me looking bad. When I broach the subject with dbf, he always replies with the same response.... he will always have the last say with his son and that goes for everyone, even BM. In the past he has said I contradict myself by saying I don't want a parenting role and yet I want a say in things. I'm really confused, has anyone ever experienced a similar situation???

stepmisery's picture

What an ass. Honestly. He's completely full of himself if he thinks he is going to have the last word over every single person on the planet, all the time.

So you take the last say and use no words as you haul all your stuff out and into your own place.

Disneyfan's picture

He wants to parent alone. Fine, but he should stick to just dating. Living with someone shouldn't be an option for him until his son is an adult.

Invisiblestepmom14's picture

If he is that controlling with his child. I can only imagine what he would be like as a husband :O I would run for the hills!! Sounds like his ex realized to late what kind of controlling SOB he was, at least she got out...

You deserve better!! Drop kick his ass and find someone who will not belittle you!!

Orange County Ca's picture

Absolutely agree with the "controlling" diagnosis. You need to break it off with this guy. Hints like this always exist during the dating process then once you're "under control" so to speak the true nature comes out.

When that happens he'll require the last word in your life also and I assure you that whatever it is you want the answer will be no. My ex-wife was a controller and she could not stand for someone doing what they wanted.

Kids would be told they could not go on a swing for no reason at all. If a kid asked it was "Because I said so". If I asked she ignored me as if I didn't speak - why would I ask such a stupid question I guess.

Anyway RUN away from this situation now. I know its difficult to start over but nowhere near as difficult as divorcing and then starting over.

giveitago's picture

It's not normal to try and control other people, in reality you cannot do it! It might seem to the controlling person as though people are complying with the 'control' at first but that's really his/her delusion. He's going to wake up to a suddenly adolescent boy who is very rebellious! Have nothing to do with the kid as of, and if you can break away do so. Meanwhile, start saving your own money up in an emergency fund. Even if it's just enough for an hotel room for a couple of nights until you get your head straight.
Asking the child to pass the laptop was reasonable and did not undermine his father's authority, pass the salt would elicit the same response from him? I call bullshit on that one!

janeyc's picture

No this is not normal, your Bf is treating you with disrespect, its your home too, so you should get a say, he sounds like a control freak to me, I mean you can't even offer him a biscuit without getting shot down, I wonder what he's like as a boyfriend, this cannot be a good situation for you to live in and I feel sorry for his son, I do believe in discipline, but its so harmful if you over do it, I think you to seriously consider your future with this man.

craftymommy1108's picture

This would be the day that any man ever treated me like this. I would be out of there in a heart beat. You do not have a lengthly relationship (yeah 1.5 years is a lot, but you still have plenty of time to find someone better) and you do not have kids with him. Even better reason to go. Yu cannot change someone no matter how much time and patience you invest in them. It will only get worse as the years go by and lord help you if you ever have a child together. You two are on a completely different page when it comes to parenting which would be a lot harder to deal with in the future if you had a kid in the middle of a split up! I hope you make the right decision. If you still want to continue a relationship with him, I would do it with you living seperately. Good luck

feelinglost's picture

This is not normal. How on earth does he expects you to call this union a family when so much individualisim exist within the people in the house? People in a family do things for each other such as passing laptop over or fetching a glass of water or little things like that.