You are here

Clingy skid - just need to rant

Cozy's picture

This is our last full week with SD6 this summer before we go back to EoWe per BM's custody agreement. I can usually deal with her clingy ways, but when she's here for longer stretches of time her infantile behavior becomes more obvious and really begins to grate my nerves. She follows DH from room to room, if I am in the bathroom and DH knocks to ask me something, there she is at the end of the hall. She wanted to eat lunch outside (on the porch that is visible from our living room) and insisted that DH do the same. Afterward, she followed him to the trash can to throw his apple core away! He walked over to the sofa to give me a goodbye peck, and there she is - waiting and watching at the other end of the couch! She turned on the waterworks when DH told her that he wasn't going to help her clean up the pile of toys she had dragged outside. I was rummaging through some paperwork in our bedroom to find something for DH - there she is in the doorway, asking when they're going to the park. If DH and I are having a conversation for longer than 5 minutes, she climbs on his lap and starts with the cuddling and ¨I love you, daddy.¨ I'm all for kids loving their parents, but 50 I love yous every day? And always when DH and I happen to be talking? This kid just absolutely can't do anything by/for herself, it seems. Hell, she can't stand not being the center of attention for five minutes. I know this is a direct result of DH and psycho BM's parenting skills, she has been babied from birth to present, and her entitled attitude reflects this. DH still carries her, for chrissakes. At six years old! Ugh. I am so ready for this week to be OVER. /endrant

Cozy's picture

It seems like a chronic condition of skids - parents/gparents feel bad for them and overcompensate. DH has really come a long way since I first met him and SD, but we can't control the environment that BM provides. ¨This isn't your mom's house¨ is repeated pretty often around here. I get the feeling that BM puts skid above her marriage, so she's never had to compete for the affection of her parents. Kids need to learn to respect adult relationships, if she grows up continuing to believe that the world revolves around her...well, I pity DH because I'm not dealing with that shit! Smile

cornishmaid's picture

SD is just like you have described and she's a lot older than 6! Its driving me insane right now! Its nauseating, I'd love to know how to fix it x

Effie_C's picture

My 5/almost 6 year old SD is exactly like this. Lately she's actually taken to shouting, "Why is no one talking to me?" if anyone else in the room is having a conversation (she is never OUT of the frickin' room as cannot be on her own anywhere in the house minus attention).

Until a few months ago, she would do things like lie on the living room floor with no clothes on, stick her legs in the air and say, "pants" in a baby voice, and DH would dress her! the baby voice, "I love you dadaaa" thing really does my head in. DH has finally stopped a lot of the babying stuff like the poster's DH above, and it's true, within a really short space of time it's improved no end and is improving all the time now. Her BM still does it, but all I can hope is that things can still change here.

Oh, and you know when you said he carries her? My DH still does a "horsey" on the ground and carries SD through to her bedroom to put her pyjamas on at night.

I think it's baby steps (no pun intended) with my DH stopping this nonsense, definitely.

Cozy's picture

UGH with the one-word commands! SD6 does this all the time. When she is sitting at the table eating dinner: ¨NAPKIN!¨ When she is in the bathroom brushing her teeth(basically the only time she is alone) ¨FLOSS!¨ And of course she still wets the bed, so she'll yell at DH from her bedroom, ¨DIAPER!¨It's more like having a toddler, honestly.

Me to DH: ¨can you get the chicken out to thaw for dinner tonight?¨
SD: ¨I love you Daddy.¨
Me: /eyeroll

DH to SD: ¨Clean your room, please.¨
SD: ¨I love you Daddy.¨

SD: ¨Are we going to the park today?¨
DH: ¨I just told you we were.¨
SD: ¨I LOVE YOU DADDY.¨

I understand carrying older kids in situations like, crossing a busy street downtown. But at the mall?

Cozy's picture

We do. ¨Don't interrupt when we're talking.¨ ¨I'm having a conversation with X, I will be there shortly.¨ It makes no difference. She just keeps doing it. I don't expect the four days per month that she spends with us to have much impact on her behavior. It seems like any progress gets completely undone by the next time we have her.

dhaf44's picture

Omg the clingyness is killing me!! SS9 trying to climb back into the womb I think. And god forbid adults try to have a conversation! Oh hell no, he walks into the room speaks regardless of what was going on and poof I no longer exist in the conversation, room or even the world. It's at the point I just shake my head become silent and just walk out of the room. I understand he's the precious pride and joy but she doesn't even treat her daughter (Sd14) so good. I hate it. She'll be a raging bitch until little mister no manners whiny ass walks in and demands things.

Strong mom's picture

I have the same problem with SS9. He will not leave dad's side when he is at our house. When we go to the store or wherever and I am walking next to DH, SS will walk in front of me and then slow way down until he is the one walking next to dad. It makes me crazy because DH doesn't even notice it is happening. The other day I almost tripped and fell on top of him because he was trying to get next to dad. GRRRR!! I know kids are important and I am glad he loves his kids, but I am the adult and don't like being pushed aside.

Strong mom's picture

I have the same problem with SS9. He will not leave dad's side when he is at our house. When we go to the store or wherever and I am walking next to DH, SS will walk in front of me and then slow way down until he is the one walking next to dad. It makes me crazy because DH doesn't even notice it is happening. The other day I almost tripped and fell on top of him because he was trying to get next to dad. GRRRR!! I know kids are important and I am glad he loves his kids, but I am the adult and don't like being pushed aside.

LuLuLu's picture

Yes! It drives me crazy! My SS9 will crawl all over his dad - at home, in public - it doesn't matter. It is especially bad if we are at a restaurant. He will pull his chair so close to his dad's he is practically on his lap, and then he occupies 100% of his dad's attention. I've told them both they might as well get their own table because it is sooo rude. We will be at a dinner with my family and DH does not participate in one adult conversation because he is too busy playing tic tac toe or telling his son to stop making noises and sit in his seat. I'm almost to the point that I will not go out to eat with them anymore!!

BlindInTX's picture

Oh dear lord..YES. To all of this! Clingy drives me freakin' NUTS. The constant need to be doing something, talking, interrupting, constant "Daddyyyyy", trying to get in between us..ugh. I could barf. She'll even walk in the room when we are watching tv to interrupt. The only thing she says is "Um...I forgot what I was going to say". Because you didn't have anything to say, you little shit, you were only coming in here to see what we were doing and to get in between whatever that may be. And if I hear another "Well, at my Mom's house, we do it like this" or "My Mom lets me do x". Last time it happened I got kind of snippy and looked at my BF and said "Hey, guess who's house this ISN'T? YOUR MOMS". Grrr..

Cozy's picture

Ha! Reminds me of my morning - DH has SD packing up to return to the cave troll's lair, and she walks into the living room to tell us that she DIDN'T brush her teeth?

CaliforniaSM's picture

OMG yes!!! SD5 is the clingiest/dependent little girl I've ever seen with DH! She will be fine and self reliant all day with me but as soon as DH is home "I need to be wiped"..."I don't know how to put my underwear on" "hold me" "I can't buckle myself" all with the fake BABY TALK! Constantly jumping an climbing for attention when it isn't on her..ugggggh I die! I feel ya, 100%!

mylife10's picture

Oh My Lord! I can relate! My heart bleeds for you. I have the same with my SD10, who actually thinks she’s my Fiancés mini wife (as someone called her)...I agree that the children should have some attention from Daddy, but that is ridiculous. I have noticed over the last 3 years with my SD10, she has been babied from birth from Fiancé and BM and it has gotten progressively worse. He needs to set boundaries for his daughter. You both need time alone. And getting in the middle of your convo with DH and the "I love you daddy" bullshit only escalates from there. I am living it right now...and of course every situation is different. But DH needs to step in and have a little talk with the little one (I know she’s young, but this is not fair to either of you). Boundaries must be set. And by him not stepping in and stopping the behavior only enables her more.
Hope you have a happy and healthy fourth Smile