You are here

Change of Pace

Lauren B's picture

I know that on this site there is a lot of venting going on, and most weeks I would probably have a lot of venting to be doing too, but I actually had a very good week with SKs, so I thought I'd share.

I was really surprised, because it is the first good week in awhile. SD15 has even opted to stay at BM's for the last 3 of our weeks ( over some stupid fight about fDH not wanting SD15 to have a belly button piercing). She didn't have the choice this week, as BM was going out of town, and I was apprehensive about her visit.

We have SKs 50/50 and exchange them every Sunday promptly at 6. Normally, Sundays are the most stressful day of the week! It's either the last day of a very long week and I am counting the minutes until I have my house back, OR it's trying to relax during the last minutes of freedom fDH and I have until we get taken over again. I think most of you can probably relate to the feeling.

Normally I work Tuesday-Saturday. This week was different because it was a very long work week for me (Sunday-Sunday). My store had a big promotion going and we were swamped every day. I was exhausted and surely short-tempered.

I was caught off guard a few times! First was when SS12 volunteered (VOLUNTEERED!!!) to do dishes after dinner Thursday night. SS12 never really puts up much of a fight when asked to do a chore, but he NEVER volunteers. The second time was when SD15 approached me and asked if she could rearrange my laundry for me so that she could do a load. WHAT?! Who is this kid? Then she asked me if I could help her straighten her hair for school because I do it better. Whatwhat?! One night this week SD15 and SS12 (who normally bicker ALL day long) even worked together for 2 hours (nicely?! WTH?) on SS12's science project. Friday night I found myself enjoying dinner with Skids and fDH around the table. SD15 was in an unusually pleasant mood and was cracking jokes and making everyone laugh, including myself.

Today, I had to be at work before the skids were out of bed and got home after the exchange with BM. I came home to a clean house (that fDH says kids helped with?!) and dinner made. I felt like I was in an alternate universe. Sunday nights after weeks with SKids are usually spent putting my house back together after Skids trash it.

It is so hard to get comfortable as a SM, though, and as much as I enjoyed myself this week at home, I can guarantee this feeling won't last long. Every time I have let my guard down in the past, I get tromped on shortly after. The ups and downs and unpredictablilty of it all is so exhausting. So don't worry, I don't think everything will be peachy keen from now on. If there's anything the last 5 years living with fDH has taught me, being a (f)SM is the most under-appreciated and under-valued role in a family unit. But I can't deny that it was a refreshing change of pace!

I don't know what was in the water this week, but I sure liked it.

luchay's picture

Smile Thank you for sharing that!!

Much needed around here today I think.

My weekend with the skids was pretty good too.

School hols here, so we had them from last Weds, they went back to BM this morning.

My bd9 had a dance comp Thursday morning so we were away Weds night (3 bds and I) so SO and the skids had the house to themselves. We got home about 2pm Thursday, it was bd9's birthday party that afternoon so we relaxed for a while then all got ready for the party (not at home - too much else going on to put myself through that!)

Party went well, all the kids got along and behaved.

Thursday night was relatively peaceful, they all went to bed without much hassle.

My bd's 9 & 6 had to fly out to visit their dad (they'll be home next Saturday) early Friday morning, so I took them to the airport early then went shopping... So skids and OH had time to themselves, they pottered around the house then went to the library.

Friday night we took the skids to the drive in then got Macca's for tea. The skids were nice and polite and happy and ACTUALLY SPOKE TO ME AND PULLED NO FACES WHEN OH'S BACK WAS TURNED lol

Saturday was football Grand Final day here, He took skids to the park early while I did some washing, we (he and I) watched the game while skids played together quite happily. No dramas from either of them. Again, they were pleasant and happy...

By Saturday afternoon I was feeling pretty crappy (I have come down with the flu) so I showered then went to bed. He took skids for a drive to get them out of the house for a while.

Sunday I felt awful. OH did some weeding, took skids to the pool, cooked tea. Again, they were in lovely moods! No hassles from SS at all. Even when we had something NEW for dinner Sunday night (bless OH he cooked Sat and Sun night for me - he doesn't really cook LOL) ss ate his tea, LIKED the new food - usually when it is something he hasn't eaten there is high drama and tanty's...

They went to bed again last night with NO hassles....

All in all, considering I am sick and my babies aren't here it was a nice weekend!

I too harbour no dreamy notions that it will stay like this now forever more - but I have to say - I enjoyed it...