You are here

A bra...

Mb90's picture

I'm at work tonight and bf and his dd4 are at our house. Just got a text from bf that dd4 just told him that her mom bought her bras. BRAS. She is 4 years old for God's sake. My mind is blown

Aeron's picture

Well..... She's 4. Could mom have bought her some undershirts or little sports bra looking kinda camisoles kinda things? Like dance wear? Told her kid they were bras? Because the 4 year old saw mom's bras and wanted to be like mommy?

My three year old niece got a pair or little dress up high heels because she Constantly dragged her mom's out to wear, my one year old has been dragging one of my purses all over the house the last 2 days... Little girls often want to just be "just like mom". So maybe her relay of the story is missing some of the finer details? (Please god I hope.....)

Mb90's picture

I'm sure they are sports bra like. Maybe bf and I are overreacting. I totally get the whole wanting to be like mom or dress like mom (mom's a cocktail waitress at a strip club though, so it does make sense) but I think 4 is too young for a bra of any sort. I would have told her that there will be plenty of time when's she older to wear a bra. I only wish I could still run around without one on lol.

Evil stepmonster's picture

Not to be offensive or taking BM's side but is it possible she needs it? A friend of mine had a daughter that needed the sports bra type by the time she was 5. But she was a chunky little monkey who developed partially because of her weight.

Mb90's picture

She may have. I'm not sure what her logic was. Bf is going to ask bm about it. Maybe she'll be able to shed some light on the subject. I just hope it's a matter of playing and that dd4 understands that 4 year olds don't need to wear them. Bm is known to treat dd4 as if she's much older than she is.

Raggles's picture

SD7 came to stay yesterday and she proudly showed me her new 'bras' mummy had bought her.
They are little cropped tops but IMO totally unsuitable for a 7yo. Why is there the need to make them grow up quickly? I didnt allow my daughter anything like that didnt see the need.
Guess thats another piece of clothing getting lost in the wash!!

MotheringHeights's picture

As a mum of two girls, I don't see the big deal, notwithstanding if it was an underwire or lace number, its just another piece of underwear. To them its a mix of modesty (swapping out of basketball/school shirts), friends, fashion. It has absolutely nothing to do with them growing up to quick, I'll be getting them the real deal then. I say pick your battles, this isn't one of them.

Raggles's picture

Motheringheights - oh its not a battle/fight.
My house my rules. That kind of underwear can stay at her mothers or go in bin here.

MotheringHeights's picture

Great to see you putting your foot down now with your SD.. Sensible shoes and long socks at 14 won't be such an easy sell though.

z3girl's picture

I actually NEEDED a bra by the time I was 6 (definitely unwanted though!), but 4 and 6 are worlds apart at those young ages.

If it's only for playing dress-up, I don't see the big deal. If BM made SD4 wear one everyday, that's a bit much.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

I think it is weird that the mother would even entertain the notion that the 4 year old would wear a bra. Who tells a 4 year old "go put on your bra Suzy"? Weird.

BethAnne's picture

BM here bought SD her first set of bras when she was 5. She claims that SD needs them. I disagree. She has told SD that she has to wear them everyday. I tell SD that at our house she can choose if she wants to wear them. Usually she doesn't choose to. My husband as always is hell bent on keeping everyone happy so will put SD in a bra when she leaves our house to go back to BM's.

The first set of bra's BM bought were like regular bras with clasps at the back that even now SD cannot put on herself. Recently she has bought some of the crop-top like ones which I think are much more suitable and SD can put them on herself.

We had the totally bizarre juxtaposition of SD wearing "grown-up" style bras and also having her ears pierced and still using a binky (thankfully she has now given this up), BM has odd priorities for her child if you ask me.

My advice is to just let your SD decide if she wants to wear them at your house or not. Don't force the issue or blow it up into anything.